What's new

Fatip testina gentile: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Just got myself one of these razors and am now ready to review it in the good, bad, and ugly format that I just invented right now.

The good. Whoever said this razor was too mild for them must shave everyday with an R41; despite the name saying "gentile," this is NOT a really mild razor. For the week prior to its arrival, I shaved with a Fatboy set anywhere from 6 to 8 every day; the shave from the Testina Gentile is similar to the Fatboy on 7, for me. Very efficient. The cap on this thing looks almost identical to my old open comb Fatip cap; I know it is supposedly a mm or two wider, but it looks very similar. There is a LOT of blade showing on either side of this cap. In fact, the whole razor looks almost exactly like the Fatip open comb except that it has a safety bar. I wonder how much different the heads really are? My guess is that they are not as different as people think.
For me the razor is incredibly intuitive. I had the right angle immediately after placing it to the face. It's smooth and mows through stubble like a hot knife through butter. No tugging at all. Just a smooth shaving head. It curves the blade a lot and has a very curved baseplate; this design has always been a winner for me.

The bad. It's a bit difficult to get the blade lined up correctly, as there is a lot of blade play around those bullets (posts). The cap doesn't completely cover the tabs, which should be helpful, but when I was trying to move the blade over a bit it seemed like the entire top cap wanted to move over with it, which made centering the blade difficult. Kind of a pain but certainly not the end of the world. I load the blade the night before so I don't have to do this when I'm bleary-eyed tired after just getting up out of bed.
Also, the razor just looks cheap. I know it's supposedly plated brass, but it almost looks like molded plastic. The gold colored plating is overly bright and cheap looking.

The ugly. This is the worst handle in the history of shaving. I absolutely hate it. I have NEVER, EVER had problems with grip on any prior razor, and I have never understood when people complained about slippery grips, but this grip is INCREDIBLY slick. It's slick even when it's dry! When it gets wet it's like a water slide. And if any lather gets on it, it fills in the ridges on the handle and it's almost impossible to hold the thing. This morning I had to dry it off THREE TIMES during the shave. I hate this handle. With a passion. The head is good enough that I may have somebody make me a custom handle (Fatips have an unusual thread size, so most handles won't work), but I cannot shave with this razor with this Godawful handle on it.

There you have it. The Fatip Testina Gentile. A great, great, smooth-shaving head with a terrible handle. The other problems are surmountable, but I don't know how anybody shaves with this thing on this handle.

Interesting... I do not find the handle as bad as you do. I did return my first one for alignment issues. Specifically, when tightening the head it had a tendency to turn the blade which made proper alignment harder than it should be. My second one is much better.

If you have a Fatip Piccolo, or are willing to drop the $20 on one, you could use the handle from that with the Testina head. That should solve your handle issues without the cost of a custom handle. I find the Piccolo handle to be easy to grip.

Thanks for the review. I have been curious about this razor since I picked up my first Piccolo.

Doug, I had a piccolo at one time, but ended up selling it a number of years ago. I agree that the piccolo handle was no problem at all to grip, although it was too thin for my taste.

Doug, I had a piccolo at one time, but ended up selling it a number of years ago. I agree that the piccolo handle was no problem at all to grip, although it was too thin for my taste.

Well, it was worth a try. When you get your custom handle in I demand pics. :thumbup:

Maggard handles fit. Don't know how they do it, but it works with a Testina and regular DE.

And yes, the name Gentile is deceiving because it was not a mild razor, but mid aggressive. Very efficient and smooth however.

Last edited:
I love my Fatip better with a standard handle for a perfect weight and balance throughout my shave, because there is no hard and fast rule that you should stick to the original handle. If you love the Fatip head you get find the perfect handle that suit you because everybody is different. The picture below showing is a Fatip with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle.

FYI:-
MR5 Handle (doesn't fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo ),

iKon OSS Handle (does fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo),
iKon Bulldog Handle (does fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo),
iKon Bamboo Handle (does fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo),
iKon Matte Special Edition Handle (does fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo), - waiting for my order to arrived

The Stray Whisker Howitzer Handle (does fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo),
The Stray Whisker Long Tack Sam Handle (similar to MR5) (doesn't fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo ),

Weber Razor Classic Handle (does fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo),
Weber Razor Wave Handle (doesn't fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo ),
Weber Razor Bulldog Handle (doesn't fit for Fatip Grande & Piccolo ),

proxy.php

Last edited:
So, last night I tried all my handles on the Fatip Testina Gentile, and the results were interesting.

My iKon bamboo did NOT fit.

I have 3 UFO handles; the Kaiser short fit but the other two did not. I found that odd, especially given that one of the others is a custom Kaiser and should be the same as the Kaiser short in terms of the threads. My Titan Fine L wasn't even close; it would just spin all day.

The fat handle that came with one of my Tech razors fit it like a glove. This surprised me, too.

So this morning I shaved with the Testina Gentile handle on the Tech handle. Worked OK, but the handle is too short and too light to really make this razor shine. I may have to try it on my Kaiser short.

I like that Howitzer handle. I may have to look into one of those, too.

Top Bottom