What's new

Fatip Storto messes up my GRUME

As most of you know, @FoolishMortal organises a GRUME each month. Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End. The idea behind it is to get out of the buying frenzy we sometimes get caught in. Or just a kind of sabbatical month, enjoying the razors, soaps, blades etcetera you already have. I highly recommend every members tries it, at least once.

Anyway: I participated a couple of times and did so this month. This month has turned out an excellent, easy and relaxing GRUME for me. Until I decided to use the boxed Fatip la Storto I acquired during my slant period, but never used.
To my horror the Fatip has a alignment issue. Before you think: that's normal with slants.... I have a couple of slants and am used to the crooked looking alignement as seen with the Fasan, for instance. This Fatip has a different issue. The blade exposure on one side is MUCH wider than on the other side. I thought I would give it a try and my fears turned out to be justified. One side is very aggressive (which I like), the other is mild as in MILD. I am very, very disappointed. This distorts my Zen.

Please have a look at the pictures, and tell me I got this all wrong.

View attachment 1478167View attachment 1478168View attachment 1478169View attachment 1478170
A few months ago I bought a nickel Fatip Originale Grande. It has missing spot of plating on the inside of the cap. They sent me a replacement. The replacement is just like yours. It has much more exposure on one side. Didn't even bother to write to the store again. Fatip and their quality...

Last month bought a Boker (which is a Grande Originale with 9 teeth instead of 11), again missing spot of plating on the inside of the cap. They sent a replacement, and to be honest I still can't believe the replacement is fine. :lol:

I have a Piccolo with enough slack you can offset the blade a little to set up aggressive & mild sides. I kind of like that: aggressive for the first passes then mild for ATG or sensitive areas around the lips.
This one gives no room to move the blade.
FYI: I have two Souplex Double Six that are designed with a very aggressive and a medium side of the head. Awesome razor.

A few months ago I bought a nickel Fatip Originale Grande. It has missing spot of plating on the inside of the cap. They sent me a replacement. The replacement is just like yours. It has much more exposure on one side. Didn't even bother to write to the store again. Fatip and their quality...

Last month bought a Boker (which is a Grande Originale with 9 teeth instead of 11), again missing spot of plating on the inside of the cap. They sent a replacement, and to be honest I still can't believe the replacement is fine. :lol:
I'm gonna keep this dud, because the aggressive side is great.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll keep it, use it
and buy a functioning Lo Storto.
I don't know the exact rules for GRUME.... but if there is a referee.... I'd ask for permission to replace faulty equipment. That is, if that is important to you... on the other hand... July is only a few days away. ;)

I am speaking just for myself here, but when something isn't right, I tend to find a way to correct it or it really bothers me. I'm going through something similar in scope with a problematic brush. It's hard to decide exactly what to do.

I don't know the exact rules for GRUME.... but if there is a referee.... I'd ask for permission to replace faulty equipment. That is, if that is important to you... on the other hand... July is only a few days away. ;)
In this case, I guess I'm the referee. :)

The answer would be "no", as @Jack Goossen (probably) knows. GRUME rules state that "if you have no suitable replacement", you can buy a replacement, but our friend has a very healthy collection of razors, including many slants.

Sorry to hear about the Lo Storto not being up to snuff. :(

One side of the cap is shorter causing a steeper angle (more gap). It could be caused by offset pins or asymmetric profile.

I am speaking just for myself here, but when something isn't right, I tend to find a way to correct it or it really bothers me. I'm going through something similar in scope with a problematic brush. It's hard to decide exactly what to do.
I'll finish this GRUME and join July, enjoying the perfect flow I'm in.
The new Lo Storto can wait, especially since I will keep this dud.

I'm sure you will be happy with the one aggressive side.
No worries about using the other side. You will immediately feel the difference.
We could form a new Badger & Blade club: Fellowship Of Fatip Duds (FOFD) 😸
I just marked the side with the negative exposure with a marker.

Maybe 1909ers, a bit subtle? 🤔
Let's just be outright about the fact. It is what it is. :lol:
FOFD sounds pretty good to me

Yes, I tried it a month or so ago. That Fatip is hopeless. The bullets are soldered crooked. Even the side with more exposure gives me less closer shaves than my MKII. So unfortunately only the bottom plate and the handle can be used as spare parts.
Multo grazie, Giovanni 🙏🏽

Top Bottom