What's new

*Fatip Slant*

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20200902_192518~2.jpg

Headshave again w Fatip Slant, this time as usual: the open comb version.

For me it is with no doubt smoother than the closed comb. Used the same Atra SP blade
RR WTP blue
RR N400
Two passes, no issues, close shave
Witchhazel medicated
Proraso green (felt good)
Aramis balm...good stuff.

Face was Schick adjustable 7 and 5, good shave.

Not speaking for @xiletero bit I’m sure he means efficiency since it took some buffing with the GC to equal the effortless shave the Fatip offers me. Both are super smooth and hold the blade tight so to me smoothness is equal.

Looking closer I have made some observations about the 🦊.

It bends the blade a lot, like my BBS. I think this is more significant than has been quantified. Comparing the GC to the FOCS is eye opening as far as geometry.

The added torque on the blade I believe to be part of the voodoo. Maybe it’s overthinking it but I like understanding why something works well so in the future I can seek out like designed products.

The BBS is a great razor and is in my mind better than the GC 68 in practice. The BBS would be a better razor if it were to have around an 80 gap and ribs if not an open comb. The GC while a great razor on its own isn’t anything groundbreaking, just a solid razor. I may order an OC or JAWS 84 plate if they are ever seen again.

The slant is the other thing. It makes sense that striking the hair at a slight angle is more efficient at cutting and less likely to cause chatter or burn.

Together, the severe bend, torque and slant simply work like nothing else I‘ve tried. Maybe a Wunderbar would be a good stainless equivalent but at a hondo more....

Anyway, to quote a certain squirrel I know, “it ain’t stupid if it works”.

Have both the RR 0.84 OC and Jaws, but don't like the feeling of the teeth on the jaws against my skull. So I like and use the OC.
Personally I think the o.84 OC, Karve C OC and Schone are all similar.
Blade bending in LoSorto is interesting, some blades make a crunching sound while tightening....(don't remember which).

I've had two Fatip's over the years and both were rubbish. One was very difficult to align the blade and one was impossible. I gave one away and threw one in the bin. I have years of experience manually aligning blades in DE razors but my Fatip's were just crap. These guys will just keep churning them out as long as people keep buying them and saying bad workmanship is a non issue.

I've had 3 Fatips- each one with aesthetic defects (scuffs, scratches) and blade alignment issues. I usually get railed on this forum for being picky and the price is cited for me to keep in mind. My point is that if they charged $10.00 more and invested that into quality control and finishing, they'd lift themselves into a whole new level of customer satisfaction. Why the heck not? Anyway, I've ordered the new Fatip OC Slant. We'll see how it turns out.

Dropped a brand new top cap for my Fatip Grande.🙁
Only three foot drop into the sink, surprised because it seems a bit too fragile to me, but it's my fault for dropping it.
Oh well, good thing I purchased several.😎
Let your supplier know and see if they're willing to replace it, Fred (at worst they can only say no). There's been a spate of locating pins freeing themselves from caps recently... it needs reporting to Fatip.

I've had 3 Fatips- each one with aesthetic defects (scuffs, scratches) and blade alignment issues. I usually get railed on this forum for being picky and the price is cited for me to keep in mind. My point is that if they charged $10.00 more and invested that into quality control and finishing, they'd lift themselves into a whole new level of customer satisfaction. Why the heck not? Anyway, I've ordered the new Fatip OC Slant. We'll see how it turns out.

You’re of course right, It is unfortunate that some get out with issues. I’m glad my 2 🦊 are trouble free and no issues with alignment or cosmetics.

Dropped a brand new top cap for my Fatip Grande.🙁
Only three foot drop into the sink, surprised because it seems a bit too fragile to me, but it's my fault for dropping it.
Oh well, good thing I purchased several.😎
View attachment 1149957
Sorry man 😮

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Meanwhile, here's another gratuitous attempt at thread hijacking. I thought long and hard about it for a second. There is a certain liberation of being off my meds and completely bonkers, though some might see it as a cry for help. Least ways, I'm the last to know which is what? :whistling: :letterk1:

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Brush: EJ Badger Medium Super
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
037_40.jpg

Today was my last shave of the week. Like I suspected, the 34c had a bit of a re-learning curve after coming off of Fatips. It was well worth it. My week ended with bbs's with dfs on my neck. Over all the 34c was very kind to my skin, and I enjoyed using it. Next weeks line up will be: King C. Gillette five blade cartridge razor (yes, I'm using a cartridge, where's Big Nurse?), Gillette Pure Cream, and Gillette Cool Wave, along with my Fatip Synth Brush I successfully re-knotted. It originally came as a Pure Badger.

016_20.jpg
:hips:

Last edited:
Four day beard
Pre shave oil-random brand I got for free
Soap-Arko
Blade-rapira SS
Razor- FOCS
Aftershave- Superdrug forest fresh

Smoothest & least irritating shave yet & no alum feedback.
Stuck with a two pass WTG then ATG. Little if any buffing for a very nice BBS result.

This is one of the best efficient/aggressive razors I have ever used. To people struggling with irritation I recommend trying to reduce the passes.
I also ride the guard & I feel the Rapira Swedish supersteel has elevated this razors performance for me YMMV.

Three day beard
Pre shave oil-random brand I got for free
Soap-Arko
Blade-rapira SS
Razor- FOCS
Aftershave- Barrister & Mann reserve classic

Smooth & little irritation, minimal alum feedback.
Stuck with a two pass WTG then ATG. Some buffing for a very nice BBS result.

I think this razor gets better with a blade with a few shaves on it.

along with my Fatip Synth Brush I successfully re-knotted. It originally came as a Pure Badger.
I think we might be the only 2 people on B&B with this brush. how did you reknot it, what size fits? i do like mine alot as it is, but the pure badger knot is definitely not as nice as the handle, someday i'd like to put a much higher quality brush in there to match the awesomeness of the metal.

Also would love to see a twisted spiral version to match the slant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom