What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've always sometimes fiddled with blades when using my various Fatip razors. I've done the same thing with my various non-Fatip slants. Generally with Fatips and with most of the slants I've used the blade might look "wrong" and yet be exactly right. With my non-slant Fatips I want more or less the same blade exposure on both sides of the razor, but that does not mean exactly the same exposure, just more or less the same. Doesn't have to be exact in my experience.

I have had to return one Fatip-made razor (a Schöne) because of alignment and other QC issues, but the rest have been very good razors (and I have a few of them; not like Rave of course).

1585049268724.png

In general my advice is to under do the blade fiddling. Especially with the slants; a slant blade which looks right is wrong. If I fiddle with the blade that means fiddling with it for a second or three. Really, it becomes an almost automatic, and super quick process. Mostly no fiddling is necessary.

Maybe I've just gotten lucky. Plus, I've not messed with my Fatip slants yet so I'm unaware of problems they could have. I suspect they don't but that's not from having used 'em yet.

Obviously, it's up to the end used to do the final inspection.

Like Cal, I'll probably insert a blade on April 1st. Not promising, but probably. If there are problems you'll hear about them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't play with blade alignment w Merkur or RR37 slants (don't even check it)
Fatips: sometimes don't look centered and I just loosen the head and blade and try again (tend to fall into place, max 3 tries).
This Losorto, I tried x2 but the blade landed probably 1 to 1.5mm more on one side (the whole blade), so one side did not shave very well and the other had a lot of blade feel. Crystal blade did not look wavy to my eyes. Today might see if the blade lands centered to provide a better shave.

I’m planning a Lo Storto v Wunderbar shave today. Meanwhile I lined up my 21rst century production slants to see what frankenrazoring, if any, could be done with Lo Storto parts.

Results so far: the Lo Storto baseplate can be swapped into the Maggard and RR German 37 razors. The Fatip screw is skinny, but the Fatip alignment pins are fat so the cap does not franken. No shave tests yet.
1A45BB9B-92D3-49AB-A290-A29FA7482C03.jpeg

L-R
Row 1
ATT S2
iKon stainless B1 coated
Yaqi slant
Maggard slant
Row 2
Wunderbar
Lo Storto (Piccolo SE handle)
PBOCS
RR German37

iKon X3 on the right

Raven Koenes

My precious!
That would be great!

In reality, I promised Rave I'd let him know when mine arrived so he'd know when to go to the post office for his as deliveries to his workplace have been stopped. Ours were shipped at the same time. His might arrive a day or so after mine as his had a bit further to travel than mine.

He can still mow my grass, because, yes, mine won the race.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Mission Accomplished. Blade alignment is perfectly wonky.
008_18.jpg
003_18.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I used mine today. Crystal blade. Loaded blade x2 but it was favoring one side both times, so one side shaved mediocre and the other had significan blade feel. Just two passes and did a 3rd w RR Jaws 84.
Used Fatip only on sides of head, had a lot of hair left so finished w RR Jaws , too. Maybe next time I play w the blade..
Blade alignment looks pretty darn good to me.

So, I fiddled a bit more and got it to here:
proxy.php

E27BEBB4-92FB-4225-817F-26685AF71990.jpeg

Mine also has that interesting wave in the blade, sometimes more, sometimes less. Just as Fasan claimed ‘double slant’ territory, perhaps Fatip can claim ‘double twist’ as their innovation. In any case, I’m getting good shaves.

Head to head, Lo Storto Originale takes on Wunderbar

Blade: a fresh Astra SP in each.
Lather: Palmolive stick and CBL Tonsorial Roasted Oatmeal Stout in a complicated combo lather scenario. Ultra slick.
Test instruments: fingertips, alum block, and Texas 10X Face Freezer (mentholated and mint scented 80 proof vodka). After 15 minutes of shave recovery time, I used my highest burn alcohol AS - Florida Water - for a double check.
AA36ABEB-77D1-4BA5-ABA6-77B5C4872056.jpeg

Right: Lo Storto Originale head on a Piccolo handle
Left: Wunderbar head on a cut down RazoRock Ti Halo handle. The Wunderbar is my best slant for an easy, close, efficient shave.

Two passes and touch up on the neck whorls.
Closeness: a photo finish, BBS
Irritation: face felt great, so I went to the chem lab
Alum: very little sting, a slight nod to the Lo Storto
Menthol/ethanol: just a minor burn, but the Lo Storto was a clear winner
Floral alcohol: Murray&Lanman give Fatip the final thumbs up

The Wunderbar is built on the classic lines of the Mulcuto, machined from stainless, and costs some fair change. The Lo Storto is a new design (though perhaps owes something to Merkur for the geometry of the torque) and costs very little. While I am a great admirer of the Piccolo, I hadn’t expected the Lo Storto Originale shave to rival the Wunderbar. The Astra SP is a mild blade for me, but it may find my renewed respect for use in these razors.

I’m planning a Lo Storto v Wunderbar shave today. Meanwhile I lined up my 21rst century production slants to see what frankenrazoring, if any, could be done with Lo Storto parts.

Results so far: the Lo Storto baseplate can be swapped into the Maggard and RR German 37 razors. The Fatip screw is skinny, but the Fatip alignment pins are fat so the cap does not franken. No shave tests yet.
View attachment 1078396
L-R
Row 1
ATT S2
iKon stainless B1 coated
Yaqi slant
Maggard slant
Row 2
Wunderbar
Lo Storto (Piccolo SE handle)
PBOCS
RR German37

iKon X3 on the right

I’m trying so hard to keep my slant collection from turning into this but that is a damn fine looking collection. 🤔

2nd head shave this time full. Crystal, was a smooth shave but had some stubble left and some burning afterwards. Might try Nacet nxt, or Shark, or Gillette super thin.....
Maybe I'll do half R41 and half w this.....or half Schone half this....
Used Art of Shaving cream....not the best stuff for me....

Mine does have that twisted look like the razor blade is being bent but it's equal on both sides.

This razor is my new favorite. I put a heavy Parker handle on it and it's shaving like a champ.

Aside from my first day and I'm on day 5 not a single nick weeper etc and it shaves very close. I only use 2 passes and if I adapted my shaving style could probably get away with just one pass.

I'm tempted to sell my whole Razor collection it doesn't get better than this.

By the way, I'm pairing it with the Personna Israeli red, one that comes in the red packaging.

Did not like the handle it came with, aside from being very slick when wet, I'm partial to larger heavier handles. I find it's easier to let the weight of the handle help determine the pressure.

Question regarding using a blade first say 1-2 times in this Fatip Slant, could it be then used in a standard Fatboy or similar..... or once you use it in the slant (particularly this one), then it's bent and should be used only in this one ....

I know blades are cheap, but I like Crystal and it's one of the few blades I actually use many times....5-8 shaves at least.

Are there any reports on the Testina Gentile version of Lo Storto? Maybe it has a wider shaving angle than the conventional Testina Gentile? It resembles the 37c.

Question regarding using a blade first say 1-2 times in this Fatip Slant, could it be then used in a standard Fatboy or similar..... or once you use it in the slant (particularly this one), then it's bent and should be used only in this one ....

I know blades are cheap, but I like Crystal and it's one of the few blades I actually use many times....5-8 shaves at least.
Blades are flexible enough to be used in a regular after use in a slant. Regular occurence here.

Top Bottom