What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Blades are flexible enough to be used in a regular after use in a slant. Regular occurence here.

The only slant I have that hurts the blade is the PBOCS. It doesn’t leave the blade twisted, rather it bends some of the tabs that form the slot in the blade. I don’t usually swap a blade out of the PBOCS.

Both the PAA Ascension DOC and the RR SLOC 2.0 bend blades a lot (but with no twist). The blades always flatten right out when removed. DE blades really are good springs. To snap one in two for my shavettes takes some effort, but doesn’t distort the edge of the blade.

The only slant I have that hurts the blade is the PBOCS. It doesn’t leave the blade twisted, rather it bends some of the tabs that form the slot in the blade. I don’t usually swap a blade out of the PBOCS.
I've swapped blades in and out of my PBOCS many times John. They don't LOOK great, but they keep performing just fine (in any DE razor).
Feather-Phoenix-1st.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Is there a blade in that? It doesn't look like it to me but my eyes aren't what they used to be...
No blade in it. I photographed it right after unpacking it. I have since loaded it twice, and both times it has loaded perfectly wonky uneven to the cap on each side and aligns even with the baseplate. I can't wait to use it but I'm on FFFMM 2020

That is not a slant issue, it has to do with the posts being too fat in the pbocs.

That is not a slant issue, it has to do with the posts being too fat in the pbocs.

Agreed! Cal posted a very explicit picture of the typical result. There are also good sound effects when the PBOCS first masticates the blade. I love my PBOCS and use it with great care (and enjoyment) but, as the curse goes: “May you shave with an interesting razor.”

View attachment 1079694
Much less slippery this way :) Tried with KAI blade. Although most Italian YouTubers have a preference for it, I think there's not much KAI adds to its performance.

That’s a nice looking set up, too! I have used a Kai to add efficiency to overly mild slants. No need with the Lo Storto
for me.

I’m pretty settled on my Piccolo SE handle. Dark and chrome.
The Lo Storto Originale continues to perform well for me. As with all Fatips, I appreciate the long pins that allow me to crack open the head nice and wide for a really thorough rinse before I put it away.
BD90C674-FFCC-405E-BE66-B28823200A54.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a question for the gents that have used their Fatip Slants:
has anyone developed any unusual symptoms (sore throat, cough, diarrhea)?
I am not feeling OK today and the only "risky" thing was this package from of all regions Lombardy IT. I may just be paranoid....but I am a high risk patient.....

I have a question for the gents that have used their Fatip Slants:
has anyone developed any unusual symptoms (sore throat, cough, diarrhea)?
I am not feeling OK today and the only "risky" thing was this package from of all regions Lombardy IT. I may just be paranoid....but I am a high risk patient.....

I’m only a moderate risk guy (old, but generally healthy). My package came from the UK. So, no symptoms of anything but boredom and low motivation so far.

I hope you are feeling OK soon.Take good care.

Head to head, Lo Storto Originale takes on Above the Tie S2 - my only metal OC slants

Blade: an Astra SP in each, 3rd shave on the Fatip’s, 4th shave on the S2’s blade
Lather: Palmolive stick and Murphy&McNeil Ouroboros croap combo lather
After: alum block, Pinaud Clubman

Left: Lo Storto Originale head on a Piccolo handle
Right: ATT S2 head on a custom ‘rusdrunkbear’ Ti handle

Two passes and touch up on the neck whorls.
Closeness: a tie, DFS
Irritation: face felt fine
Alum and AS: very little sting

F26B3BA9-A9B2-48A8-9DBE-9409335F9626.jpeg

A few shaves in, the Astra SPs are not quite ready for BBS on the difficult touch up spots. Still a fine shave, and probably my best shave ever with the S2. I credit the ultra-dense/slick lather for that. Before, I have typically gotten a little too much blade feel and a touch of the tooth from the S2.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I dunno about you guys, but I think the design of the Fatip OC teeth is the best on the planet... superior to all other OC teeth.

Not that I'm biased or anything. :nonod:
You are the living embodiment of brevity, concise, balanced, and above all equanimous in regards to the subject matter at hand. That, my friend, you can take to the bank by someone who is never biased where Fatips are concerned.

I have the merit badges to prove it:

FJAAP_Badge.png FJAAP-Gold-Membership.png FJAAP-Platinum-Membership.png

BOSC.2.Fatip Is Life.jpg

Following the FFFMM, I've decided to do a Fixed Four for April with my new Fatip OC Slant.

Originally I intended changing to the Slant only and keeping everything else the same (the best and most sensible idea). But in a foray of fickleness I've decided to change EVERYTHING. :001_rolle :letterk1:

Here's my proposed set-up for April Fool's Day (and the rest of April):
SOTD-FF_20220-04-01.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 18/47 Silvertip D01
Soap: Vitos 'Red'
Razor: Fatip OC Slant
Blade: Wizamet Iridium™ Super

The tiny brush is one of my all time favorites. I had intended using MdC Citrus, but after reading all of Jim's @Chan Eil Whiskers praise for Vitos 'Red' I went for that (18 months since last use). I may possibly bend the Fixed "rules" with the razor... if I don't fall in love with the handle, after a week I'll change over to one of my custom resin handles. This will be my first Wizamet Iridium Super blade, but I believe they're the same as Polsilver Super Iridiums so that shouldn't be too much of a shock.

I'll report on how I find Lo Storto. :biggrin:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Following the FFFMM, I've decided to do a Fixed Four for April with my new Fatip OC Slant.

Originally I intended changing to the Slant only and keeping everything else the same (the best and most sensible idea). But in a foray of fickleness I've decided to change EVERYTHING. :001_rolle :letterk1:

Here's my proposed set-up for April Fool's Day (and the rest of April):
View attachment 1080684

Brush: Shavemac 18/47 Silvertip D01
Soap: Vitos 'Red'
Razor: Fatip OC Slant
Blade: Wizamet Iridium™ Super

The tiny brush is one of my all time favorites. I had intended using MdC Citrus, but after reading all of Jim's @Chan Eil Whiskers praise for Vitos 'Red' I went for that (18 months since last use). I may possibly bend the Fixed "rules" with the razor... if I don't fall in love with the handle, after a week I'll change over to one of my custom resin handles. This will be my first Wizamet Iridium Super blade, but I believe they're the same as Polsilver Super Iridiums so that shouldn't be too much of a shock.

I'll report on how I find Lo Storto. :biggrin:

Holy smokes, Cal. I'm amazed, my friend.

I've not previously heard the Vitos called Vitos Red...

1585610398793.png

...but I certainly see why it might be.

My 100 ml servings of the two soaps came without this sort of packaging. I'll soon enough have the Red in the proper red packaging (as it's in transit, it being the 1000 ml block).

Thanks for the heads up on the Vitos terminology. I hope you enjoy the soap as much as I have. I'm not even sure I'll change soaps after the Fixed. Not saying I won't, but I'm not itching to switch from the Red.

You are amazingly BOSC to be jumping into a Fixed with a razor you've never before used. I don't suspect I need to wish you luck, but I will anyway. Good luck.

1585611100996.png1585611133348.png

What's the difference in feel and performance going from your red Shavemac silvertip to your yellow Shavemac silvertip? Both look like great little silvertips to me. I don't know how they differ other than a bit in the knot size.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Good luck.
Thank you Jim. :biggrin:
What's the difference in feel and performance going from your red Shavemac silvertip to your yellow Shavemac silvertip?
The red is Silvertip 2-Band and the butterscotch is Silvertip D01... but if you read their descriptions on Shavemac's Badger Qualities page they are actually the other way round (no doubt because the D01 has a relatively longer loft).
Both look like great little silvertips to me.
Indeed they are. :yesnod:

Top Bottom