My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Zebrano
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Omega S10019
Soap: De Vergulde Hand
Aftershave: Osage Rub
032_42.jpg

Have I ever mentioned that I really like Fatips? I loved using my Fatip Zebrano today. It may well be my favorite Fatip. At least it's the one I'm currently using. What razor did I use last week? I tend to forget all the others when I load up and go with any Fatip. The shave was exceptional, smooth, and easy. I've forgotten how good Astra SP is. I may use them for awhile. I also haven't used Astra SS for awhile as well. I just may do an Astra kick for awhile. De Vergulde Hand is a very good shaving soap contrary to what a lot of people from the Netherlands say. It's a triple milled soap that smells fresh and clean. it also loads and performs like Fine soaps, imo, which De Vergulde Hand also produces. To finish things off, you can't beat the menthol Blast of Osage Rub.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Another amazing shave for Arko August with the FOCS.

I did borrow Jim and Ravens idea and used my wife’s old D&D figures. Lol.

proxy.php

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover
Brian, The figurine really sets the tone for your shaving picture. :thumbup1: For Cal it's the white rabbit with reflection in whatever razor he's using. Jim uses the lady bug. I tend to use gnomes and hedgehogs. The gnomes are an unruly lot. They are not very well trained, at all, once they have a few pints in them. It's a burden I suffer.

I was looking for a new SR, and I saw the Piccollo and this one, the open comb version, can anyone compare it with the Rockwell 6C/S? Typically I use the 6C with plate R4/R5.

Anyone? I also have an Edwin Jagger DE89, Qshave (Futur clone), Yaqi close comb, if someone have tried one of this and can compare it with this one in terms of efficiency/smooth, i would appreciate it.

I also have some doubts between the Piccollo (normal or SE) and the Slant Open Comb.

Thanks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Anyone? I also have an Edwin Jagger DE89, Qshave (Futur clone), Yaqi close comb, if someone have tried one of this and can compare it with this one in terms of efficiency/smooth, i would appreciate it.

I also have some doubts between the Piccollo (normal or SE) and the Slant Open Comb.

Thanks.

I like Fatip razors - a lot. Of the ~10 Fatip and Plisson Joris razors in my Den, the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Fatip Open Comb Slant - FOCS) is the one I've been using since I got it back in early April.

Highly recommended. :)

YMMV :)

Hi

I need help deciding between the two Fatip slants grande & gentile.

My most aggressive razors are probably my Gillette New improved, NEW deluxe & Slim/super adjustable wide open.

Although I can shave with these I don't really enjoy the shave compared to my Gillette rocket HD, aristocrat junior 51 & 48, British aristocrat 2 & 3 Gen.

So on that note which would you fine fellows recommend?

Thanks

Thanks.

I've never had a Rockwell razor so it's hard to say about that. The slant is far, far and away more efficient than a DE89 for me.
I'd say it's about as efficient as my Schöne, which has the same head as the Fatip Piccolo. So the Piccolo and the slant are about the same level of efficiency but the slant is smoother in operation and a bit better made IMO.

I like Fatip razors - a lot. Of the ~10 Fatip and Plisson Joris razors in my Den, the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Fatip Open Comb Slant - FOCS) is the one I've been using since I got it back in early April.

Highly recommended. :)

YMMV :)

ok, thanks for your opinion :001_smile

I've never had a Rockwell razor so it's hard to say about that. The slant is far, far and away more efficient than a DE89 for me.
I'd say it's about as efficient as my Schöne, which has the same head as the Fatip Piccolo. So the Piccolo and the slant are about the same level of efficiency but the slant is smoother in operation and a bit better made IMO.

Ok, thanks :001_smile. I have to check which one to choose or maybe both (kidding :biggrin1: ).
In terms of efficiency in our opinion the Slant OC is way better then the DE89, and which one do you think is more smoother?

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!

Thanks.
I've shaved with an EJ 89 and adjustable. They are both razors with gap that clamp further back on the baseplate. A Fatip clamps the blade forward firmly between the cap and base plate. There is no gap only exposure. The more rigid clamp area automatically makes a Fatip smoother than an 89 or an adjustable. The added torque of the blade on the FOCS due to the slant twist makes the blade even more rigid than a regular Fatip. The exposure plus rigidity makes Fatips very smooth and efficient in ways that razors with gap are not. The FOCS is even smoother due to the twist that adds even more blade rigidity.

Here is a thread that has a lot of valuable information DE blade rigidity: Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-lc-not-cutting-it.520246/

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hi

My most aggressive razors are probably my Gillette New improved, NEW deluxe & Slim/super adjustable wide open.

Although I can shave with these I don't really enjoy the shave compared to my Gillette rocket HD, aristocrat junior 51 & 48, British aristocrat 2 & 3 Gen.

Thanks
My FOCS is smoother than both my Gillette New SC and LC.

ok, thanks for your opinion :001_smile

Ok, thanks :001_smile. I have to check which one to choose or maybe both (kidding :biggrin1: ).
In terms of efficiency in our opinion the Slant OC is way better then the DE89, and which one do you think is more smoother?

If I've ever used a noticeably smoother razor than the FOCS I can't remember it. The silence and lack of blade feel get your attention, and then you realize you have no whiskers left. I've only used it with a Gillette Silver Blue blade, which does aid in that result.

My FOCS is smoother than both my Gillette New SC and LC.

That's interesting that you use the NEW LC as an example as this makes me think of the Gillette FLat bottom tech which is basically a NEW LC with Safety bar & I find they shave very similarly to me.

I prefer the look of the Fatip tip gentile Vs grande & the slants are no exception. I don't know if there is a consensus that they definitely shave that differently.
I think I saw that you own both what are your thoughts between differences?

Thanks

Thanks.
The only way to really know about any razor is to shave with it. There are no short cuts. If a razor appeals to you for whatever reason you should acquire the razor and shave with it. If you are interested in Fatip’s the easiest way. The Fatip Special Edition. It has the Fatip Open Comb, a norm within the Fatip line. It also includes the Gentile plate a solid bar plate. If you are familiar and have used a slant jump on the Lo Storto.

Hi

Thanks
I had twelve razors and when I started shaving with the Grande I sold all my other razors. I Only have four Fatips right now. You can have both the Grande & Lo Storto for less than a c- note. I have both no regrets.

I've shaved with an EJ 89 and adjustable. They are both razors with gap that clamp further back on the baseplate. A Fatip clamps the blade forward firmly between the cap and base plate. There is no gap only exposure. The more rigid clamp area automatically makes a Fatip smoother than an 89 or an adjustable. The added torque of the blade on the FOCS due to the slant twist makes the blade even more rigid than a regular Fatip. The exposure plus rigidity makes Fatips very smooth and efficient in ways that razors with gap are not. The FOCS is even smoother due to the twist that adds even more blade rigidity.

Here is a thread that has a lot of valuable information DE blade rigidity: Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-lc-not-cutting-it.520246/

Thanks for the explanation ;)
Did you already try the Piccollo OC v2 ? How you compare it to the FOCS ?

If I've ever used a noticeably smoother razor than the FOCS I can't remember it. The silence and lack of blade feel get your attention, and then you realize you have no whiskers left. I've only used it with a Gillette Silver Blue blade, which does aid in that result.

For me the EJ89 is one of the smoothest razors that i already use it, so if the FOCS is event smoother and far better in terms of efficiency is excellent.

That's interesting that you use the NEW LC as an example as this makes me think of the Gillette FLat bottom tech which is basically a NEW LC with Safety bar & I find they shave very similarly to me.

I prefer the look of the Fatip tip gentile Vs grande & the slants are no exception. I don't know if there is a consensus that they definitely shave that differently.

Thanks

I have both as well and prefer the FOCS hands down. The Gentile shaves exactly like it’s name “gentle”. ( I know that’s not a literal translation lol). Almost too gentle for me.

If not for just wanting the set, I’d lose the Gentile and get another FOCS. I could literally get rid of every razor I own and just use the FOCS for the rest of my life.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

The only way to really know about any razor is to shave with it. There are no short cuts. If a razor appeals to you for whatever reason you should acquire the razor and shave with it. If you are interested in Fatip’s the easiest way. The Fatip Special Edition. It has the Fatip Open Comb, a norm within the Fatip line. It also includes the Gentile plate a solid bar plate. If you are familiar and have used a slant jump on the Lo Storto.

I never tried a Fatip razor, not even a OC/Slant, that why I'm interested in one, as far as already explained, the FOCS should be a better choice compared to the Piccolo (only OC, or SE)?
I only try the DE89, Rockwell 6C, Yaqi CC, Qshave and a Weishi.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

Thanks
I find the Gentile Slant to be more gentle as well. I have to do a little extra work in my problem areas, my jaw line. With my Lo Storto OC it's basically three passes and done with slight blade bluffing on one spot along my right jaw line. With the Gentile Lo Storto I have to buff on my right and left jaw lines to get the same results. Other than that they are close. My thoughts are that extra work means more time the blade contacts the skin. The less contact the blade has with the skin the better. For me that's why the FOCS is superior. There is less work involved for the same results.

I never tried a Fatip razor, not even a OC/Slant, that why I'm interested in one, as far as already explained, the FOCS should be a better choice compared to the Piccolo (only OC, or SE)?
I only try the DE89, Rockwell 6C, Yaqi CC, Qshave and a Weishi.
When I shaved for the first time with an open comb. My next thought was. I will never shave with a closed bar again. Open combs manager lather in so much as leaving lather available for the follow up or a little extra buff. I wouldn’t try OC for the longest time I thought they looked too aggressive. Nothing handles lather better than an OC. Lo Storto is based on the Grande OC. I have both. I was using the #4&5 plate on the Rockwell when I sold it. Open Comb delivers more comfort to my sensitive skin than closed bar ever did.

Top Bottom