What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fabulous!
Especially considering there was no blade in it! :letterk1: :cornut: :wink2:

Fatip Shavers need blades.png

Very nicely. The handle offers good grip and I’ve not experienced any problems with it (bear in mind that that I only bowl lather, so I can’t comment on how well it works for face lathering).

The G4 knot is excellent, densely packed, and the fibre is definitely on a par with the best synthetic fibres on the market. It does have a large glue bump and the shorter effective loft really helps to give it good backbone.

It’s certainly a brush I haven’t regretted purchasing and I like it so much that I’ve also purchased a second one (in a polished aluminium finish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I've just ordered 4 small boars instead of this in plain aluminium. I was also thinking of getting an ebony plisson for £54, on sale.

Last edited:
did you notice any blade misalignment with the new fatip slant? (an old fatip issue...)
Bear in mind that it's a SLANT... so it's normal that the cap doesn't line up with the blade — but the baseplate should. As per Rave's post and photo here:
For folks getting the Fatip Lo Storto for the first time, I took a picture of what the blade should look like. It looks askew which some may say Fatip is good at. I say it's a sign of pure genius. However, if you do look at the cap in the picture the blade aligns askew with it, but if you look at the baseplate it aligns with the comb bar.
1595715512594.png

I’ve never owned a slant, so having looked at Cals post and not understanding the razor geometry,

If the blade aligns parallel to the base and not the cap, doesn’t that just make it a straight razor again ?

I’ve noticed that other pictures of the slant posted recently clearly show the blade aligned with the cap and not the base. At least one of the photos is from a regular slant user. So I’m puzzled hence the posts. Not least because I want one of these

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I’ve noticed that other pictures of the slant posted recently clearly show the blade aligned with the cap and not the base. At least one of the photos is from a regular slant user. So I’m puzzled hence the posts. Not least because I want one of these
It doesn't make the razor straight again because the baseplate itself is torqued. There are also bad habits picked up by slant users due to an age old debate here on B&B about how a slant should align. The align with the cap folks note that the 37c had to be manually aligned with the blade to the cap. The conclusion was that Merkur 37c had terrible alignment issues, however if you load and go with the 37c the blade aligns with the baseplate every time. There is no special manual alignment required. If you see a blade aligned with the cap on a FOCS this is due to it being manually aligned to be even with the cap. For a lot of slant users old habits die hard, or the person is new to slants and reads faulty information when researching how to load a slant, and what that should look like. The bottom line is slants were designed to be load and go razors like every other DE. They were not designed to require extra work to get them to align with the cap. I hope this helps.

As a language buff who knows little Italian, I suspect that the model name, "Lo Storto," comes from the same Latin root that gives us "distorted," i.e., "twisted out of [the usual] shape."

How is the brand name pronounced, though? FAT-ip or FA-tip, or Fa-TEEP?

It doesn't make the razor straight again because the baseplate itself is torqued. There are also bad habits picked up by slant users due to an age old debate here on B&B about how a slant should align. The align with the cap folks note that the 37c had to be manually aligned with the blade to the cap. The conclusion was that Merkur 37c had terrible alignment issues, however if you load and go with the 37c the blade aligns with the baseplate every time. There is no special manual alignment required. If you see a blade aligned with the cap on a FOCS this is due to it being manually aligned to be even with the cap. For a lot of slant users old habits die hard, or the person is new to slants and reads faulty information when researching how to load a slant, and what that should look like. The bottom line is slants were designed to be load and go razors like every other DE. They were not designed to require extra work to get them to align with the cap. I hope this helps.
I get that, thank you for the reply

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Photos don't always show the blade alignment very well. It's not like the degree to which the blade's alignment relative to the cap shows it as greatly askew, and it may not be visible in some of the photos. Let me post some thumbnails (which enlarge when clicked).

1595767313821.png

Here I can barely see the askew alignment, but it's there. It's always there because done correctly, which is easy as pie, the blade aligns correctly, which is as everyone has said, with the baseplate, and askew from the cap.

7-18-20.FOCS.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

In this photo ^ it's just about impossible for me to see the askew alignment.

Trust me on this: Every day I flip my blade. Following the flip I visually check the alignment. I want to see that the alignment is parallel relative to the baseplate. I also want to see the alignment is askew relative to the cap to the same degree on both sides of the razor.

Is it? Yes it is. Every time. Every day. To the same degree without fail.

7-23-20.Vitos.MS30Beehive.FOCS.JPG

Perhaps you can see the askew alignment in this ^ photo, but it's not extreme.

Of course, I use the same technique to assemble the blade and razor every day. If the blade weren't perfectly aligned I know how to quickly and easily fiddle with it for a couple or three seconds to fix the issue. I learned this skill with other Fatip razors, but the FOCS hasn't required me to employ them as it's perfect every time. No fiddling required.

When I first began with slants I thought the blade was supposed to align with the cap. It was very hard to make it happen because it's not supposed to do so.

6-27-20.ShortManchurian.Vitos.FOCS.640.JPG

The Fatip Open Comb Slant is an excellent razor. All Fatips are good razors, and most slants I've used have been, but the FOCS is uniquely excellent in my view and experience of it and other razors.

Hope this helps at least a smidgeon.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
As a language buff who knows little Italian, I suspect that the model name, "Lo Storto," comes fromby the same Latin root that gives us "distorted," i.e., "twisted out of [the usual] shape."

How is the brand name pronounced, though? FAT-ip or FA-tip, or Fa-TEEP?
You're right about the name Lo Storto from everything Fatip said about it leading up to its release. Fatip is an anagram comprised of Ilario Fazzini' s immediate families first letters of first names with the F for Fazzini. Latin, I think, i is pronounced as a long e? The i in Fatip is for the first i in Ilario. I don't know if Ilario is pronounced eh-laree-o with a common short I sound or a long e sound in Latin like Ee-lar-Ee-o. If this is the case it's pronounced Fa-teep.

Last edited:
Photos don't always show the blade alignment very well. It's not like the degree to which the blade's alignment relative to the cap shows it as greatly askew, and it may not be visible in some of the photos. Let me post some thumbnails (which enlarge when clicked).

View attachment 1130673

Here I can barely see the askew alignment, but it's there. It's always there because done correctly, which is easy as pie, the blade aligns correctly, which is as everyone has said, with the baseplate, and askew from the cap.

View attachment 1130676

In this photo ^ it's just about impossible for me to see the askew alignment.

Trust me on this: Every day I flip my blade. Following the flip I visually check the alignment. I want to see that the alignment is parallel relative to the baseplate. I also want to see the alignment is askew relative to the cap to the same degree on both sides of the razor.

Is it? Yes it is. Every time. Every day. To the same degree without fail.

View attachment 1130683

Perhaps you can see the askew alignment in this ^ photo, but it's not extreme.

Of course, I use the same technique to assemble the blade and razor every day. If the blade weren't perfectly aligned I know how to quickly and easily fiddle with it for a couple or three seconds to fix the issue. I learned this skill with other Fatip razors, but the FOCS hasn't required me to employ them as it's perfect every time. No fiddling required.

When I first began with slants I thought the blade was supposed to align with the cap. It was very hard to make it happen because it's not supposed to do so.

View attachment 1130693

The Fatip Open Comb Slant is an excellent razor. All Fatips are good razors, and most slants I've used have been, but the FOCS is uniquely excellent in my view and experience of it and other razors.

Hope this helps at least a smidgeon.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Again thank you for the reply Jim. I know it’s just me but a lot of photos I’ve seen of the Fatip still make me believe that the blade tracks the cap.

Probably look different in real life.
Im pleased with the replies as when I eventually manage to find a UK source that isn’t sold out I shall own one.
Then without the knowledge I would have spent some time trying to line up the blade to the cap.
Live and learn eh? Thanks for the reply

Top Bottom