What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Okay. I took this razor for a shave and it was quite a different experience than I'd thought.

SOTD 07032020.jpg

Motherlode synthetic
Stirling Lime sample
Fatip Lo Storto OC Slant
RPL (1)
Zingari Man Splash

Going into it, I had a bad first impression of the razor, as explained above. Blade exposures were clearly different on each side and it shaved differently.

First stroke in, I didn't feel any blade. Felt a bit odd but as I shaved through heavier growth, I felt a very smooth feeling. A bit similar to my Fatip Piccolo but very efficient. If I paid close attention, I can differentiate between the two sides but as I was cruising along, It was getting hard to tell.

In the end, both sides shaved smoothly and comfortably. One side has a bit more bite to it but not to a siginificant amount.

In conclusion, I think this is a fine razor. Medium aggression with extreme efficiency. Comfortable and smooth. I don't chase BBS but I went for it this time. Got one of the closest shaves I've had with no irritation. I'd have to say, I'm impressed despite the imperfections I see.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Okay. I took this razor for a shave and it was quite a different experience than I'd thought.

View attachment 1121406
Motherlode synthetic
Stirling Lime sampl
Fatip Lo Storto OC Slant
RPL (1)
Zingari Man Splash

Going into it, I had a bad first impression of the razor, as explained above. Blade exposures were clearly different on each side and it shaved differently.

First stroke in, I didn't feel any blade. Felt a bit odd but as I shaved through heavier growth, I felt a very smooth feeling. A bit similar to my Fatip Piccolo but very efficient. If I paid close attention, I can differentiate between the two sides but as I was cruising along, It was getting hard to tell.

In the end, both sides shaved smoothly and comfortably. One side has a bit more bite to it but not to a siginificant amount.

In conclusion, I think this is a fine razor. Medium aggression with extreme efficiency. Comfortable and smooth. I don't chase BBS but I went for it this time. Got one of the closest shaves I've had with no irritation. I'd have to say, I'm impressed despite the imperfections I see.

Excellent! Relieved that the pics were due to the angle and that it shaved great. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, I never thought I’d like a razor this much. It seems silly. And for less than $40.
It never works out that way. I’m always drawn to the top shelf no matter what it is. It’s refreshing to not be shelling out the big bucks for once. I guess I need to make up for that by buying five.

One for each weekday.....I like it! :)

Ciao a tutti! Lo Storto Originale è arrivato! (Hello everybody! The "Original Slant" has arrived!)

proxy.php

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to shave with it. I had just finished shaving when the doorbell rang. When I answered it, nobody was there, but a small cardboard box from Connaught was sitting on the doorstep.

Here's the requisite beauty shot:

proxy.php

One odd thing: After I unscrewed the handle, I had a lot of trouble getting the cap to separate from the baseplate. After about 30 seconds of jiggling them, I got them apart. It's like the cap's pins don't quite align with the baseplate's holes. The fit was a bit better when I turned the baseplate 180°, but it still takes some fiddling to get them on and off.

Anybody else having this issue? I'm wondering if I should just live with it because I'd sure hate to have to send this all the way back to England for a warranty replacement.

Ciao a tutti! Lo Storto Originale è arrivato! (Hello everybody! The "Original Slant" has arrived!)

proxy.php

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to shave with it. I had just finished shaving when the doorbell rang. When I answered it, nobody was there, but a small cardboard box from Connaught was sitting on the doorstep.

proxy.php

One odd thing: After I unscrewed the handle, I had a lot of trouble getting the cap to separate from the baseplate. After about 30 seconds of jiggling them, I got them apart. It's like the cap's pins don't quite align with the baseplate's holes. The fit was a bit better when I turned the baseplate 180°, but it still takes some fiddling to get them on and off.

Anybody else having this issue? I'm wondering if I should just live with it because I'd sure hate to have to send this all the way back to England for a warranty replacement.

Taking part in 2020's sabbatical so I don't own one. I can tell you this thread really questions my willpower LOL.

Did you already load the razor with a blade?
I assume as long as the blade aligns properly this would be more important factor (for me!) when it comes to decide whether keeping it or returning it. Maybe the fiddling will dissapear with some wear... however, if the fiddling is just a pain in the *&* for you - just ask the seller for a replacement.

Last edited:
It’s a tighter fit than what most are used to. This helps with blade alignment. The blade fits tight on the pins and the cap fits snug in the base plate. Sounds like you got a good one.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

I keep seeing posts talking about 'waiting'... Why? Maggard has them in stock right now with a free 3 day shipping coupon for the holiday.

Some of us ordered from overseas before Maggard got them in stock.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

Oh, I see. Sorry, I've been off and on with my following of this thread. I've got one sitting in a cart right now itching to be bought but it's hard for me because I swore off blades.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's a tight fit for me as well but not that difficult to take it off. Maybe takes 3-4 seconds.

It’s a tighter fit than what most are used to. This helps with blade alignment. The blade fits tight on the pins and the cap fits snug in the base plate. Sounds like you got a good one.
Oh, no! Now the Internet drumbeat about Fatip razors will change from...

"I don't know, I think I'm going to stay away, I heard they have blade alignment issues..."
to
"I don't know, I think I'm going to stay away. I heard they have issues with too tight fit..."

:lol1:

Did you already load the razor with a blade?
I assume as long as the blade aligns properly this would be more important factor (for me!) when it comes to decide whether keeping it or returning it. Maybe the fiddling will dissapear with some wear... however, if the fiddling is just a pain in the *&* for you - just ask the seller for a replacement.
Yup, I loaded a blade. The alignment and gap are almost perfect. Here are two crappy examples showing how hard it is to take a straight photo of a crooked razor. :wink2:

proxy.php

proxy.php

There's a bit of an optical illusion occurring in the second photo, but I assure you that measuring with calipers shows that exposure on both sides is the same!

It's a tight fit for me as well but not that difficult to take it off. Maybe takes 3-4 seconds.
Thanks for the info, gents! After some experimentation, I've found that laying the head on a towel and lifting the baseplate straight up removes it cleanly about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time, it catches and requires a couple seconds of jiggling.

This is definitely not a hardship, at all.

Yup, I loaded a blade. The alignment and gap are almost perfect. Here are two crappy examples showing how hard it is to take a straight photo of a crooked razor. :wink2:

proxy.php

proxy.php

There's a bit of an optical illusion occurring in the second photo, but I assure you that measuring with calipers shows that exposure on both sides is the same!

Thanks for the info, gents! After some experimentation, I've found that laying the head on a towel and lifting the baseplate straight up removes it cleanly about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time, it catches and requires a couple seconds of jiggling.

This is definitely not a hardship, at all.

Taking your photos/ remarks ^^ into consideration I 'd say: it's definitely a keeper!

By the way, I didn't just fondle the razor and take photos. I actually shaved with it. I swear!

Here was the setup; all Italian except for the blade (are there any Italian-made blades?)...

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp Stainless
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Cream: Vitos Classic (Eucalyptus & Lanolin)

proxy.php

Like everybody has been saying, the FOCS is a great performer. I took Jim's advice to shave steep and not deviate from one's normal routine. I can attest to the effectiveness of that strategy. What you get is a surprisingly mild, yet extremely efficient, shave. Two thumbs up! :thumbup:

Top Bottom