What's new

Father's day dilemma (AOS coupon or seperate)

Hi all, I am sorry if this is in the wrong sub forum, I thought since my question encompasses many aspects of wet shaving it would be better here.

So, my dad seems to be a little jealous of me and my brother's new DE/wet shaving passion.

He still uses canned gel, and mach 3 blades. However, my mom would like to set him up with wet shaving.

I was looking at buying everything separate, but for a Edwin jagger razor, golden nib brush, conk stand, and taylor of bond street cream, we are looking at about $100. (I have plenty of blades for him to sample).

I was thinking though, a few Art of Shaving stores opened up in LA and I got some $25 of $100 purchase coupons.

So I was thinking if we buy the $45 Merkur cross knurl razor, plus the $60 mid size lavendar shaving set, and use the coupon we would get it for about $80. Plus, the $20 conk stand and we are at about the same price.

From searching this forum, I understand that the brush isn't the greatest, but what I like is that he would get to try the preshave and the aftershave as well. it seems like a more complete set.

So what do you guys think is better? Getting a better brush, or getting more things to try out but getting a maybe not as good brush.

Let's throw another spanner in the works :huh:
Italian Barber does a starter DE kit.
Personally I would get the better brush and give him some of the software I have already for him to try out.

Let's throw another spanner in the works :huh:
Italian Barber does a starter DE kit.
Personally I would get the better brush and give him some of the software I have already for him to try out.

+1. There is always time to get him some AS later. If he starts out with a bad brush, he might get frustrated and give up.

I started with AOS kit that had preshave oil, a fine badger brush, post shave balm and a tub of shave cream. Of these:

- The preshave oil I did not like because it was way too thick. I find Taconic preshave oil to be a much better, and less expensive, solution. I would not buy this again and do not recommend it.

- The shaving brush is too floppy and I don't use it. I have replaced it with other options. I would not buy this again and do not recommend it.

- The shave cream, while very nice, messes up your sink and plumbing. My wife was thrilled when mine was gone and I haven't had to run liquid plumber down the drain since. I would only purchase this if I was going to be traveling a lot and using it exclusively away from home. It was a nice cream, but it wasn't worth the hassle dealing with the plumbing and the sink issues.

- The after shave balm is very nice, however, at 40 bucks a bottle maybe a bit overpriced. There are less expensive options to get me to the same place.

So, to recap, of the four items that I purchased I would not repurchase any of them. I think you're better off looking either at separate items that are best in class, or at least best value in class, for your dad.

If we are comparing AOS product experiences, I LOVE the preshave oil. Easily my favorite of any preshave product. Likewise with their cream...and I have never had a plumbing issue with it. In fact, I find it hard to even imagine how shaving cream can clog plumbing. (Not saying it can't happen, just that my knowledge of plumbing isn't vast.) The after shave balm was very nice--but I don't really use after shave balm.

I haven't heard good things about their brushes, though I have never tried one.

So even though I have found terrific, and less expensive, options for lather and preshave, I continue to also buy AOS because I find those products to be top-notch. Both last a very long time, so the difference in price-per-shave between AOS and a less expensive brand is minimal. If you can get 25% off, then I think the value is there, too.

If your Dad likes to buy products in B&M stores, as opposed to shopping online, and doesn't' like to search for products, then AOS might be the perfect solution for his software. But I'd get the hardware somewhere else.

YMMV as may his, of course.

I would build the kit from scratch. IMO the AOS preshave oil and aftershave are not up to par, though their soaps/creams are excellent.

Here's a favorite beginner set up of mine priced out:
Feather Popular Razor $18.00
Semogue 620 Boar $22.00
QCS Soaps $15.00
Proraso/Bigelo $10.00 (Available cheaper through bath and body works)
Clubman $7.25 (Usually cheaper locally)
Astra Blades (100) $9.62

Total: $81.87

With a set up like this you get to try a soap and a cream and all of these products are generally well regarded. I don't use a preshave so I didn't include one.

Welcome to B&B!

Other starter kits would be more complete. For software only, the AoS starting kit is not bad at all - I really enjoyed the unscented kit I received as a gift. The pre-shave oil, cream, and AS balm were all great. But the brush included in that set is absolutely horrible... That would be the killer for me.

I echo the other members here, there are various samplers from B&B sponsors that are much more complete with good quality stuff. Italian Barber had 25 kits under $25. They also have other kits. Bullgoose has some starter kits as well. WCS kits run more than $100. But you get pretty high quality stuff.

Don't fall for the illusion that Badger > Boar. There are plenty of boar brushes that are right on par with great badgers (see Semogue and Omega).

Good luck. And Happy Father's Day to your pops and all our pops!

Happy MOther's day to all our mama's too!!

Last edited:
+1 on the suggestions above for some better starter kits. I do like some of the AoS products but I agree that their preshave and aftershave balm are overpriced. A few additional thoughts:
- might be worthwhile to pass on the razor/brush stand in favor of another product or two, I know some people definitely like them but if he has a bathroom with limited space he might not ending up with room for it (and you could get another 2 or 3 software items for the same price)
- I like the idea of getting him a soap and a cream to give him some options, as well as an AS splash and balm (since some people have skin that won't agree with one or the other)
- since its for a birthday, maybe you can find a vintage razor from his birth quarter in really good condition? That would make for a cool piece to hang on to, the B&B wiki for vintage razors has the date code info you'd need to search for one http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

Thank you guys so much.

Ok, you guys convinced me to buy everything separately.
It would be better if I let him try all my software before deciding what to buy.
I just really wanted to present him with a complete gift, that had nice presentation.
But I think it's better in the long run to forgo the nice packaging, and get the good stuff.

So I'm thinking an Edwin Jagger DE87, with probably an Edwin Jagger pure brush, and a colonel conk stand. (I know he would want the stand)
I am thinking of the Edwin Jagger shave mug too, but I think it's a little expensive.
He cares about looks and wants to work well and look good.

I was thinking of getting a golden nib brush, but I really have no idea what his preference would be.

I was thinking of getting a golden nib brush, but I really have no idea what his preference would be.

Welcome to B&B.

I think it's thoughtful of you to consider setting Dad up in wet shaving.

To provide a little more context about good budget shave brushes (those that are less expensive, but still good brushes - think inexpensive as opposed to just cheap) Out of all of Golden Nib's offerings, their "finest" knots are widely raved about as having soft tips and good backbone, working equally well for bowl and face lathering. As their primary business is custom pen making, they have a parallel web site, Penworks where you can actually buy an assembled brush. http://penworks.us//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25_73&sort=20a&page=2

Some other nice budget brushes would be Vintage Blades brand "Finest" brushes. http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=240

and Whipped Dog silvertip brushes, perhaps the best value - For $26 you can have a widely celebrated knot glued into a handle. For a few more dollars you can have it set deeper (think 2/1 ratio, 24mm knot set at 48 mm loft). http://www.whippeddog.com/products/find/brushes-knots/page:1

All of these merchants have long-time great reputations and are willing to answer your questions.

Good Luck

Thank you guys so much.

Ok, you guys convinced me to buy everything separately.
It would be better if I let him try all my software before deciding what to buy.
I just really wanted to present him with a complete gift, that had nice presentation.
But I think it's better in the long run to forgo the nice packaging, and get the good stuff.

So I'm thinking an Edwin Jagger DE87, with probably an Edwin Jagger pure brush, and a colonel conk stand. (I know he would want the stand)
I am thinking of the Edwin Jagger shave mug too, but I think it's a little expensive.
He cares about looks and wants to work well and look good.

Sounds like a great kit to me! As for presentation, its VERY easy to dress up a smattering of small gifts into one nice package. All you need is a container for everything, some cellophane, and some ribbon or twine. This has been the go-to wrapping that my wife has used on presents for our mothers for a couple years and it works really well. Think along the lines of the super nice gift baskets you see in a florists shop, but filled with things that people can actually use.

Sounds like a great kit to me! As for presentation, its VERY easy to dress up a smattering of small gifts into one nice package. All you need is a container for everything, some cellophane, and some ribbon or twine. This has been the go-to wrapping that my wife has used on presents for our mothers for a couple years and it works really well. Think along the lines of the super nice gift baskets you see in a florists shop, but filled with things that people can actually use.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who cares as much about the presentation of the gift as much as the gift itself. I always try to impress my wife with my wrapping skills. It's really fun when I have the opportunity to give something to someone who's never received a gift from me. I DON'T do bags. It has to be wrapped. Ribbon is a must. It doesn't have to look girly and frilly either. Actually brown paper and twine can make an incredible presentation.

This guy had a great idea for his groomsmen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who cares as much about the presentation of the gift as much as the gift itself. I always try to impress my wife with my wrapping skills. It's really fun when I have the opportunity to give something to someone who's never received a gift from me. I DON'T do bags. It has to be wrapped. Ribbon is a must. It doesn't have to look girly and frilly either. Actually brown paper and twine can make an incredible presentation.

My mother-in-law's famous saying (the one that stands out the most besides "shut up Mick") was....

"it isn't a gift unless it is wrapped properly"

Agreed! In fact, we used brown paper and a nice thick ribbon as wrapping for ALL the gifts we gave last Christmas. The wrapping was very well received by family.

... and I wish I had been into wetshaving when I got married. Those groomsman gifts are incredible!

Top Bottom