What's new

Fall Sports Memories

Gents,

With Fall fast approaching, I thought I'd start a thread about your guys' fondest Fall sports memories.

For me, when I think of Fall, I think of chilly baseball games hoping my team makes the Classic (hasn't happened yet) and college football...specifically, Big Ten Football. The leaves on the ground, cold noses, a colder beer in the hand screaming your head off from the bleachers...

And the occasional tear down the goalpost moment because your team beats Notre Dame...:laugh:

Lastly, to me, the greatest college game every year happens around Thanksgiving...Notre Dame vs USC...always epic.

What's yours?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409060978.946661.jpg

Last edited:
Soccer practice in high school. Smell of the grass and struggling with the running after being lazy all summer.

College football games. In the late 1970's, at our school (UNC-Chapel Hill), we were allowed to take Playmate coolers into games. Can't believe that now. We'd take one loaded with ice, one with mixers, and one with liquor and it was Katy bar the door!

Stumble home after the game, sleep it off, get up at 11:30 or midnight rarin' to go and then indulge until the wee hours.

Glad I'm over that!

I don't have one game in particular that stands out, but I've always enjoyed September coming in for the cooler weather and for Alabama football. I can remember going to the barber shop a few years ago when Alabama was on the radio more than on TV, listening to the games and cheering my team on while waiting for a haircut.

"Gets by Buckner" is definitely mine, as a Mets fan. I was at Shea Stadium that night, and even then I realized, "I don't think it's ever going to be this good again."

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Even Timmy can't argue with this one. My dad was a huge Yankee fan, and saw all 20 of their titles starting when he was seven up until 1962. From that point on, he was miserable as the Yanks were horrible for a long time. He spent the last years of his life in really bad shape, ravaged by disease and mocked by his once proud Yankees. He managed to hold on for one more title, and died this night- October 18, 1977.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even Timmy can't argue with this one. My dad was a huge Yankee fan, and saw all 20 of their titles starting when he was seven up until 1962. From that point on, he was miserable as the Yanks were horrible for a long time. He spent the last years of his life in really bad shape, ravaged by disease and mocked by his once proud Yankees. He managed to hold on for one more title, and died this night- October 18, 1977.

RIP Papa ouch.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A bit more of the 1986 post season. The Mets had a humdinger with the Asto's, including that 16 inning nailbiter, but I thought the best series of all was the Sox and the Angels in the ALCS.

Trailing 3-1 in the series and 5-2 in the ninth, Boston was down to the final strike when Don Baylor homered with a man on to close it to 5-4. After a hit batter, the Angels again came a strike away from their first World Series when Dave Henderson hit a two run blast to put the Sox ahead 6-5, a lead they would relinquish in the bottom of the ninth before closing out the Angels in the 11th for a 7-6 victory. It was one of the best games I ever saw and a remarkable comeback for Boston. I thought my Mets would have no chance after that, but, you know. Oil Can Boyd and all that.

Last edited:

Did he get to watch the game?

Top Bottom