What's new

Fake Gillette Silver Blues-ebay buyer beware!

The problem I am thinking about is the
Blades from the new packaging should
Be etched and yours looks to be inked
What does the other side of the blade
Look like.

Yeah, I thought of that too. I would not have expected ink printing either. But then on the other hand, anyone who is counterfeiting blades would not redesign the package. The package is of the same general style as the new Platinums, with the lot code / date of manufacture, the 5 blade image in the corner, and the newer angled i in the logo, and all on a clearly more cheaply made box too. I suppose it's possible PPI didn't design a laser image for a run of GSBs and just inked them instead. Or it's possible that the worse shave is all placebo effect because it looks different, or it's possible they really are counterfeits of new packaging. Either way we're not going to learn anything from just one use.

Just to be clear, I think that the jump-to-conclusions mat was private label and not designed under the Initech corporate umbrella. Unless Tom gave The Bobs the tech after his termination.

Ah, yes. Good point.

The GSB blades I received are dated 2017, so if they are genuine, they are old stock. It's quite possible the packaging was redesigned before they switched to laser etching of blades. I doubt very much that all the changes to the packaging and printing on the blades would have occured all at the same time. So again, the fact that they are printed instead of laser etched doesn't really set off any alarms with me.

I did see that a person on Reddit bought the same GSB blades in the same new packaging from a brick and mortar store. This was during the summer of last year. Not that that means all that much.

I still haven't shaved with mine yet. I just started a new blade yesterday and wanted to continue on with it.

I have not seen any etched GSB blades to compare to, my biggest tell is that they are single wrapped not in two wrappers like every other GSB I have used before. I tried another blade this morning from a different tuck in the same 100 and it too was a lousy shave. The blade is also much thinner than a typical a GSB it feels very flimsy. I have used many GSB blades before receiving this 100 pack from ebay and I can honestly say I have never had a bad shave from one till now.

Just looked up GSB on Ebay, found the $12.00 per 100
GSB blades. I have dealt with that seller many times never had a problem, if the blades are fake he probably got scammed also.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

The GSBs I bought from Pasteurs Pharmacy are single wrapped. I think Gillette changed the packaging. The older set I bought from them were double wrapped.

I measured the thickness of the older GSB and the latest GSB that I received from the eBay seller. The old, double wrapped, and the new, single wrapped, both match each other exactly. They're both 45 ten thousandths of an inch in thickness. That's the limit of what I can measure accurately in my home shop.

I've pretty much convinced myself that they're probably not fake. However, that doesn't mean that they shave the same as the old ones. It's certainly possible Gillette has changed them in some way, although I hope that's not the case.

Yeah, I thought of that too. I would not have expected ink printing either. But then on the other hand, anyone who is counterfeiting blades would not redesign the package. The package is of the same general style as the new Platinums, with the lot code / date of manufacture, the 5 blade image in the corner, and the newer angled i in the logo, and all on a clearly more cheaply made box too. I suppose it's possible PPI didn't design a laser image for a run of GSBs and just inked them instead. Or it's possible that the worse shave is all placebo effect because it looks different, or it's possible they really are counterfeits of new packaging. Either way we're not going to learn anything from just one use.

Ah, yes. Good point.
Yeah but You don't really know anymore
Than the rest of us, and that's why the
Discussion is open and was opened in
The first place and should remain open
And also my reason for the "NO DICE "
Comment..not trying to be Snarky just
Pointing out some facts

Yeah but You don't really know anymore
Than the rest of us, and that's why the
Discussion is open and was opened in
The first place and should remain open
And also my reason for the "NO DICE "
Comment..not trying to be Snarky just
Pointing out some facts

Of course I don't know anything. I'm not interested in shutting down discussion. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and all I would like to do is call for more actual evidence rather than drawing conclusions from small sample sizes.

This morning, I shaved with the new, single wrapped, GSB blade and that shave confirmed what I had been thinking. It's really very unlikely that these blades are fake. I got a good shave this morning, and I'm still BBS just about 8 hours later.

I paired the blade up with my new Blackbird, and it was the first time I've ever used a GSB in that razor. Because of my lack of experience with that razor/blade combination, it's fairly difficult for me to say if the latest GSB is different than the old GSB. But for sure, the blade was very smooth and it felt like a Gillette blade to me.

Any potential for fake blades on the market, especially my beloved GSBs, is very concerning! Hence, I only purchase my blades directly from Maggard Razors, as I trust that they acquire them from legitimate suppliers, if not directly from the PPI/Gillette factory itself. I could not ever see myself buying anything (that is destined to come into contact with my face) from an on-line vendor that I did not know. I consider myself quite blessed to live ~1.5 hour's drive from Maggards!

I also have purchased the cheap GSB's from eBay, other than the different packaging and single wrapping they are smooth and sharp as always, for 12 bucks you can't go wrong. pic included of the blades I received.
20200114_131029.jpg

Top Bottom