What's new

Is this a FAKE Gillette Silver Blue?

After trying the sample package from razorbladesclub.com (left in Fig), I realized that the GSB is the blade for me. I bought 100 blades from amazon.de then (right in Fig), but it turned out to be completely different from the ones from razorbladesclub. I'm wondering if these are fake ones?

First of all, the packages seem to be identical, both have the look of the "new" version of GSB and are single warpped.

1.jpg
2.jpg

However, the wax papers are different. The "fake" one has no logo on the wax paper. The left one has a laser engraved logo while the right one is painted.

3.jpg
4.jpg

Performance-wise, the left one is one of the best blades I have ever tried, while the right one works, but a bit tuggy.

My biggest concern is that the "fake" one has a super powerful smell of the machine oil, like the smell of a blades for the paper cutter. I can literally smell it from a meter away. This kind of smell has never appeared in any of my other blades. What is the experience of your guys? Do you think this is something fake?

I agree these are likely legit. Amazon blades are more recent production...maybe? Calling @ivan_101 who will no doubt be able to provide a precise history of when the packaging changes were made and how much machine oil was used at the plant during different phases of production!

I agree these are likely legit. Amazon blades are more recent production...maybe? Calling @ivan_101 who will no doubt be able to provide a precise history of when the packaging changes were made and how much machine oil was used at the plant during different phases of production!
It's actually a private seller on Amazon... The maybe fake one is manufactured in 2018 and still has a powerful smell.

@ivan_101 we are waiting for you :c1:
OK, OK. Hold your horses!

The blades on the right don't look fake to me at all.

Both packs are the ©2017. The right one (2018) still has a plain wrapper. The left one (2022) is with the wrapper that has 'Silver Blue' inscriptions. This happened in the recent years with all models from P&G I think.

Regarding the smell. Gillettes are known to smell of oil. Do not worry, it is a plant based oil. Fakes usually don't have oil. If you were pirating blades, the oil would cost you money.

And finally, @1900_pan
Did you conduct a comparison where everything except the blade was absolutely the same, or did you change something: brush, cream, razor, how many days of stubble, preparation. Another possibilty is one day the lather was good, the other not so good. I have been doing this for decades, and I have had that in the early stages often.

OK, OK. Hold your horses!

The blades on the right don't look fake to me at all.

Both packs are the ©2017. The right one (2018) still has a plain wrapper. The left one (2022) is with the wrapper that has 'Silver Blue' inscriptions. This happened in the recent years with all models from P&G I think.

Regarding the smell. Gillettes are known to smell of oil. Do not worry, it is a plant based oil. Fakes usually don't have oil. If you were pirating blades, the oil would cost you money.

And finally, @1900_pan
Did you conduct a comparison where everything except the blade was absolutely the same, or did you change something: brush, cream, razor, how many days of stubble, preparation. Another possibilty is one day the lather was good, the other not so good. I have been doing this for decades, and I have had that in the early stages often.
Amazing information, thanks ivan. Actually I compared side by side. Meaning I shaved two strokes with my old one (left), then changed the balde and ~5-6 strokes with the new one (right), and finally switched back to the old one. In this case, the possiblity of dried lather is also ruled out. I definitely noticed a difference between the baldes. I meant the new one (right) is usable, but does not give me the "wow" feeling as the old one.

One more interesting observation: there is a slight difference in the size. The old one (left) loads easily in my GC 84, while the new (right) scratches the post a bit...

St. Pete Russian blades (more recent years) are usually white paper from my experience.

Don't think those are fake.. The ones that you like are the ones I'd be concerned about 🤣

Edit:

Especially since you mentioned the post scratching your GC.84.. Are you sure those left GSB's aren't from India or something?

New Astra SP's (India) have the same branded paper.. Similar to Indian GWS.

My Indian GWS would never align properly on a Rockwell 6C/6s (too loose/blade gap bias), but they work perfectly well on a GC .84.

NACET'S (Russian/White paper) for example are a bit more tight on same GC .84.

Last edited:
After trying the sample package from razorbladesclub.com (left in Fig), I realized that the GSB is the blade for me. I bought 100 blades from amazon.de then (right in Fig), but it turned out to be completely different from the ones from razorbladesclub. I'm wondering if these are fake ones?

First of all, the packages seem to be identical, both have the look of the "new" version of GSB and are single warpped.

View attachment 1741748View attachment 1741749

However, the wax papers are different. The "fake" one has no logo on the wax paper. The left one has a laser engraved logo while the right one is painted.

View attachment 1741750View attachment 1741751

Performance-wise, the left one is one of the best blades I have ever tried, while the right one works, but a bit tuggy.

My biggest concern is that the "fake" one has a super powerful smell of the machine oil, like the smell of a blades for the paper cutter. I can literally smell it from a meter away. This kind of smell has never appeared in any of my other blades. What is the experience of your guys? Do you think this is something fake?
It's not you. I just received 50 two day ago from Amazon. They're not the blade I remember and not returnable. I'm going to contact Amazon. I'll get back to you.

Just got off the chat with Amazon and was refunded. Now I'm stuck with 49 GSB. Go there now. As they say Strike while the iron's hot.

I have a similar experience - I ordered Gillette Silver Blues here in Malaysia and what I got was something that was like shaving with a flint stone! Awful. The only other thought I had was maybe they were really, really old stock - whilst the coatings are meant to keep the blades sharp, there surely has to be a shelf life on them - if you watch videos of people trying vintage blades, the are always like: Nope!!!

What makes you think these are fakes?
Reading the many discussions here in the forum about fake GSBs had made me doubt the authenticity.

However, I opened another razor blade and found that it is real and authentic,discovered a new trick.

The trick is this: If while trying to remove the razor blade from the greaseproof paper , because of too many and too thick glue dots, you can't get it off ending up when you almost cut your finger you can be sure that 99% of it is an original GSB.

Top Bottom