What's new

Face latherer looking for a new brush

Guys lets not forget the venerable B&B essential boar. For a mere $20 it's a great all rounder. Soaps, croaps and creams none fail to lather with me.

Consider also the smaller, cheap and very soft Omega 10066. It will be a real surprise: plenty of backbone and unbeliveable softness for a boar brush!

I have the same Omega brush, with a different handle. I would recommend it indeed!

And remember; a boar brush needs time to develop its character.

Gents, in your more experienced opinions, how does an Omega Pro 49 fit in the list of good face lathering brushes? OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread, just further the discussion.

A very large brush that some feel is too big for face lathering, but others find to be luxurious. I like face lathering with mine. Whips up a heck of a lather. Not super scrubby as it has a longish loft, but definitely not a limp noodle either. If you enjoy face lathering and you enjoy boars, definitely worth trying out.

I face lather exclusively and have found the Simpsons Colonel to be an excellent brush. It has soft tips and good, springy body, which I've found make it an excellent face latherer for creams and soap. In addition, I find it aesthetically pleasing, ergonomically sound and the fit and finish superlative. Moreover, at the price it's outstanding value.

I use the Proraso (Omega) Boar Brush every day for face lathering... No one ever talks about it, though...

$HR_411-222-00_proraso-boar-bristle-shaving-brush.jpg

The Semogue Owners Club is an excellent choice and the 23rd it will be 20% off to celebrate Vintage Scents anniversary!
http://vintagescent.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=110

At 64 USD the best two bander in the biz, I think.
And a nice facelatherer!

It also is a good looking brush I think:

View attachment 335919

You may also give the VB brushes a look: http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=240
I cannot recommend them personally as I do not have one, but they receive high praise here and are not expensive.
+1

I agree, Bryan. I have several more expensive Simpsons but the Colonel is my favorite face lathering badger. At about $65, it's a bargain. My boars are Semogue SOC, 830, 620, and 1800.

Guys, let's stick to semogue as I'd be ordering on Thursday at vintagescent

So many choices in the Semogue universe. here are a few thought (my opinions, so it's worth ....and a cup of coffee).

There are a number of posts about Semogue badger brushes being to high lofted, somewhat floppy. Folks who like them, tend to bowl lather.

Semogue 2-Band Finest: This is the one exception to the floppy, low-density problem. Widely celebrated brush with some scritch, generally commented that it requires a break-in. May not be good if you have sensitive skin.

Semogue Owners Club boar: Dense packed, "best available boar" hair available. Widely celebrated, takes long time to break in because if density of hair.

Semogue 830: One of my favorite face lathering brush. Premium hair, more densely packed than the 1305. Nice combination of softness and backbone.

Semogue 1250/820: Another favorite, equally effective as bowl or face latherer. "Best" grade knot that is the same in both handles, one wood, one acrylic.

Semogue 1460/1470/610: Same hair as the 1250/820, but at a shorter 50mm loft (as opposed to 55mm loft).

IMO, you can't go wrong with a Semogue boar.

So many choices in the Semogue universe. here are a few thought (my opinions, so it's worth ....and a cup of coffee).

There are a number of posts about Semogue badger brushes being to high lofted, somewhat floppy. Folks who like them, tend to bowl lather.

Semogue 2-Band Finest: This is the one exception to the floppy, low-density problem. Widely celebrated brush with some scritch, generally commented that it requires a break-in. May not be good if you have sensitive skin.

Semogue Owners Club boar: Dense packed, "best available boar" hair available. Widely celebrated, takes long time to break in because if density of hair.

Semogue 830: One of my favorite face lathering brush. Premium hair, more densely packed than the 1305. Nice combination of softness and backbone.

Semogue 1250/820: Another favorite, equally effective as bowl or face latherer. "Best" grade knot that is the same in both handles, one wood, one acrylic.

Semogue 1460/1470/610: Same hair as the 1250/820, but at a shorter 50mm loft (as opposed to 55mm loft).

IMO, you can't go wrong with a Semogue boar.

Thanks probably going for 620 or 830 or both. Will 830 be too soft after breaking in?

My 830 is almost a year old and is soft, but still has great backbone. I just used it yesterday to face lather MWF.

WoW that's a fast reply.

I'm more or less determined on the 620 and I can only take 1 more brush to try if required.

1460/1470 same as 620 but with 90% tops. Just a bit concern with the wood handle but I like the retro colors or should I stick with Acrylic?

830 for 90% tops but with 10% more hair than 1305 and higher loft. My concern here is the higher loft. Is it too big?

Since I'm more or less confirm with 620 and as mentioned I'm a face latherer and I have mostly soap, would I select 1460/1470 or 830 ?

Between 90% tops and 75%. Any difference in time for breaking in for 620/830/1460 ?
Thanks

I would propose one of the following: TGN finest, SOC boar, 830, Simpsons Colonel x2l in best.

Great brushes.

Top Bottom