What's new

Explain seasonal soaps

I have been wet shaving for 28 years and have used hundreds of soaps and creams. I now have about 35 soaps and use them all in all seasons. This morning it was -22 here in Chicago, wind chill -55. I shaved with Stirling Iced Pineapple, topped it off with B&M Arctique after shave and enjoyed it very much. I will be using Vespers and other ‘winter’ soaps in the summer. It’s always 70 degrees in my house, so why does the outside temperature matter? Am I missing out on some shaving pleasure? Can someone enlighten me?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Just marketing. Nothing more, nothing less. Like having to buy a ‘Happy Step-Great Grandparents’ Day’ card from Hallmark.

It's marketing. Scent and memory are very closely tied together, so certain scents trigger memories and therefore emotional responses in people. The desire to enjoy those memories drives people to buy things that would help it along.

I have a coconut coffee aftershave that I always use the week before I go to The Bahamas. Makes me smile and think about the islands.

Sure, it's 70° inside, but is the A/C or the heater on? I put away the citrus and menthol soaps in Fall and put away the woodsy scents in spring.

I would imagine seasonal and limited releases and the fear of missing it also pushes some people to buy.

Sure, it's 70° inside, but is the A/C or the heater on? I put away the citrus and menthol soaps in Fall and put away the woodsy scents in spring.

+1

Ultimately like anything else with shaving, it's up to you. For me, when I'm going out in the morning to a wind chill index below 0F, splashing tropical or summer scents on my face just isn't appealing. Likewise I'm probably not going to be feeling Stirling's Christmas Eve in May. I definitely have products I use year round though.

I tend to wear heavier colognes in winter and lighter scents in summer, and I have a tendency to match soaps and fragrances. I also use more moisturizing soaps in winter, which in summer can leave my skin greasy.

Having said that, it's marketing hoopla - although if you only make your menthol soaps available in June you are missing months of global sales. It's high summer in Australia right now!

Some people like to match scent to the seasons. Some like fruity scents in the spring and summer, pumpkin scented soaps in the fall and pine scents in the winter.
I agree that its mostly marketing and trying to get people to rush out and buying limited edition soaps but some like it.

An way a soap/aftershave producer can stir excitement in their base for a limited run of product is just money in their bank. These soaps, which are usually sold at a premium, encourage the collections of soap that bend the mind.... X-D Good for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Can't: I don't have any soap that relates to seasons.

I have some colognes that work better in summer/winter.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Like one poster wrote, lighter scents in the summer and heavier scents in the winter. Heavier scents in the summer can be to much for the olfactory system and you might miss out on much of the fragrance of a lighter scent in the winter. Than there is using a spring/summer scent in winter months to make think of the months to come or because one misses the warmer months. I used DG/Chantillon Lux TSM Fourgere a couple of days ago and laid on my bed and fell asleep with a smile on my face. I think one could use spring/summer fragrances to lighten the mood in the colder months. It does help.

I don't like the extra chill I get from mentholated products when I go outside in the winter. So no menthol in the winter.

Other than that I don't get / associate scents with seasons or weather. It's great if you do, though.

I've tried.

Last edited:
It's marketing. Scent and memory are very closely tied together, so certain scents trigger memories and therefore emotional responses in people. The desire to enjoy those memories drives people to buy things that would help it along.

I have a coconut coffee aftershave that I always use the week before I go to The Bahamas. Makes me smile and think about the islands.

+1! And marketing works!! :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

I avoid mentholated stuff in the winter, because freezing my face with menthol and then stepping out into the cold is NOT an appealing prospect.

Although, I have switched to showering and shaving at night, to allow myself not to rush through it in the morning, so I suppose it's not such a big deal anymore.

I agree that a lot of it is marketing, but it is not entirely so. Some folks, as indicated above, just have preferences for a seasonal approach to things.

Let’s not forget either, that in our highly developed consumer economies, we are overly used to having whatever we want whenever we want wherever we want it, with little to no restrictions...it didn’t always used to be that way!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just part of the enjoyment of the seasons.

You can eat turkey anytime, too.

Looking forward to Hallows and Vesper-time next year.

AA

Top Bottom