What's new

[Exotic Wallet] Elephant vs Hippo vs Shark

Hello there folks.

I'm new to the forums.

I had already found the site years ago when I was looking for a safety razor and got a couple of Muhle after reading some members talk about them.

Now I'm in a quest of a new wallet. It's time to put my 15yr warrior to rest.

I'm really excited to try an exotic leather this time around. I'm a bit OCD about my things. I like quality over quantity.

Doing a bit of research I'm leaning towards Elephant, Hippo and Shark, but I have no idea which of the three to get and to be honest, I couldn't find much online to help.

People say that hippo feels a bit like suede, that sounds like a pain to keep clean putting in and out of dirty jeans pockets.

Can anyone share experiences with any or all of these types of leather? Help me out to decide please.

I want quality, durability and texture. Shark was appealing on durability but elephant just looks so exotic. I guess I'm not bought much into the idea of fish, if not I guess shark would be a winner.

Legion

Staff member
Never had any of them, but I had a stingray, which is probably similar to shark, and it was pretty much indestructible. Looked quite cool and different as well.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have elephant and shark boots but not wallets. I can say that after many years, they still look and feel like they did when they were new. Robust leathers indeed!

@Legion
I actually already bought me a stingray wallet on Etsy coming from Thailand. Since I live in Brazil, I have had packages coming from Asia that took 8 months to arrive, usually takes 2-3 months.
Since it was cheap, I decided to pick something else as well and I would either keep them all or sell the one I liked the least for a good profit locally since we don't have anything close to this in here.

You definitely made me more exited for it to arrive however xD.

After studying a little, I do believe stingray and shark are similar as in materials (calcium deposits and overall content), but shark is very different and more evolved structurally. The shape of the scales are actually still studied for hydrodynamics and used in hospitals to prevent E. Coli and Staph, since they are resistant to these type of infections.
Sharks are also predatory carnivores, which makes their diet more complete, giving them better overall raw materials to self construct.

I'm a Dietitian, knowing a bit organic chemistry really helps in the most awkward things sometimes ><.

@kelbro
You got me jealous, very nice.

Which of the two you like best? How much thicker is the elephant one? Do any of them get hotter then the other?

If you had to compare them to other materials, what would they compare to?

Never had any of them, but I had a stingray, which is probably similar to shark, and it was pretty much indestructible. Looked quite cool and different as well.

I have a Stingray as well. Love it. So far it has taken a pretty good beating and still looks new.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
They are both about the thickness of a good cowhide and started off quite stiff. Took a long time to break them in but the elephant conformed well. The shark is still stiff but cut proof.

Top Bottom