What's new

Executive Shaving/Alpha Claymore Evolution.

This is an older thread but I'm assuming all the initial Claymore Evo users have had the blade issues addressed. I got mine from Executive Shaving Co in the middle of February and it will handle the Feather offerings, the Schick Proline P-30 and the various Kai AC blades. I love mine... so simple to use. The learning curve was short, not a protracted long journey.
Do you also have a Vector, Phoenixkh? If so, how do they compare? I’m quite interested in the Claymore Evolution - more than other recent SE razors - but I’m not sure what it offers that would make me get one in addition to my Vector.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Do you also have a Vector, Phoenixkh? If so, how do they compare? I’m quite interested in the Claymore Evolution - more than other recent SE razors - but I’m not sure what it offers that would make me get one in addition to my Vector.
No, I don't have a Vector. Based on the excellent reviews, if you already have the Vector, I'm not sure what you'd get out of the Claymore Evo that you aren't already getting with the Vector. For similar reasons, I don't plan on getting a Vector. They both have very thin heads. I like the weight of the Claymore Evo so I don't think I'd appreciate the lighter weight of the Vector Titanium. I absolutely hated the feel of the lightness of the RazoRock Lupo DE aluminum our son sent me. I put a Stainless Steel handle on it and that improved the feel but I haven't used it since I did that.

So, the only reason I can think of that someone would own both would be the same reason people have both versions of the Vector... they just wanted both of them. It's nice to have a few great choices for AC razors safety razors out there. I wasn't aware of the Vector when I bought my Claymore Evo. I did know about the RazoRock Hawk V3. I'd heard good things about it too but chose the Claymore mainly because I preferred the 90 degree of the head to the handle on the Claymore.

Is there any difference between the package offered by each house? Eg do both offer bamboo packaging, is the logo on base unique to each etc

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got mine from Executive Shaving Co. It came in a nice presentation box but no bamboo. It does have the ESC logo on the bottom of the handle and on the underside of the head. Because I was just starting out, I chatted with the owner on their chat feature. I had watched all his Claymore Evolution videos and looked at their Face Book page so I knew a few other things I needed/wanted. That sort of spread out the shipping costs because their prices are excellent. Not paying the VAT tax makes them ultra competitive vs US pricing. Make sure to put the items in the cart to see the actual US price, not just the UK price in dollars.... that is, if you are in the States.

The stand is separate as is the traveling case... I bought both of them. and I bought the matte finish as Brian (the owner) said the polished Claymore Evo's are more prone to scratching.

I can't tell you how happy I am with the Claymore Evo.,,,,and all the other products I've purchased from ESC. It's a brilliant razor. Their customer service is first rate. They ship things the same day you order if you place your order early enough in the day, their time. Because I was in a bit of a hurry, I used their DHL shipping. I got both orders I placed with them in 3 days, but we're in Florida so that might not be the same for the whole of North America.

I have only the Yaqi replica of the Vector and the razor shaves really well, but i find injectors superior and I'm glad that i didn't spend money on the more premium models.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have only the Yaqi replica of the Vector and the razor shaves really well, but i find injectors superior and I'm glad that i didn't spend money on the more premium models.
I only remember my mom's injector razor I used as a teen. I'm pretty sure it was a Schick. I don't remember what kind of shave I got back then. My beard has changed quite a bit since then, of course. I'm sure there are many razors that provide excellent shaves. I only have two razors: the RazoRock Lupo DE aluminum and the Claymore Evo. I only used the Lupo twice before I knew, I needed to find something better for me. That lead me to the Claymore Evo. I'm content. But I know many or most wet shavers enjoy have a variety of razors around and that's cool. It's nice to have a variety of choices.

I only remember my mom's injector razor I used as a teen. I'm pretty sure it was a Schick. I don't remember what kind of shave I got back then. My beard has changed quite a bit since then, of course. I'm sure there are many razors that provide excellent shaves. I only have two razors: the RazoRock Lupo DE aluminum and the Claymore Evo. I only used the Lupo twice before I knew, I needed to find something better for me. That lead me to the Claymore Evo. I'm content. But I know many or most wet shavers enjoy have a variety of razors around and that's cool. It's nice to have a variety of choices.

They shave well, but I think my Schick Proline blades aren't the best for me and I just wanted to see how these razors perform.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Can anyone compare the Claymore to the medium Outlaw? I have the Outlaw, and love it.
If you go to Executive Shaving Co's website (Claymore Single Edge Stainless Steel Razor - Matte - https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/the-claymore-version-3-single-edge-stainless-steel-razor) during their business hours, you'll see a chat feature in the bottom right hand corner. Open the dialogue box and have a chat with them. If he's around, Brian Mulreany will often chat with you himself. That's how I ended up purchasing the Claymore Evo. He's a very informative gentleman. Even though I'm in the States, I've done quite a bit of business with them. Their US prices are excellent because you don't pay the UK's VAT and the products are often less than you'd pay here in the States, even with the shipping.

In addition, take a look at this YouTube video Brian did on the history of the Claymore Evo.:

The longer version including a shave is here:

Ok, so I did end up ordering a Claymore Evolution from Executive Shaving and it has arrived. First shave was quite astonishing to me and I am very, very pleased I got the razor. For £140 (I chose the polished version) or £115 for the matte finish it is incredible value. Honestly, if you are looking for a mild-feeling razor that is very efficient (as so many people are), this beats anything else I’ve tried at any price.

I used a Schick Proline P-30 blade. It fit into the razor extremely easily so I think the calibration of the posts to accommodate all popular AC blades is completely a non-issue now.

Is it better than my Blackland Vector? I would certainly say it is as good, and it gives a different enough experience that I think it is well worth owning both (although either could easily be your best or only razor). The Vector has a bit more blade feel and is significantly less smooth on my face (but it’s a pleasant blade feel that is never rough and gives it a scalpel-like sense of precision). The Vector is a touch more efficient (though only by the tiniest margin), and the Vector’s slim head design is something very nice to experience. I actually like the look of the Claymore Evolution and its handle, and the weight and balance feel really good in my hand. The polishing on the Claymore is excellent, by the way, and I don’t know how they can offer this standard of finish for only a £25 premium.

This is a pretty enthusiastic review, but there are two things about the Claymore that really stood out compared to any of my other razors (about 40 premium modern razors - I’ve got most things that people would compare against - but not all, of course):

First is what I said about the very mild, smooth feel but genuine efficiency. I got a completely smooth shave with no irritation at all, and my face stayed smooth even pressing on my skin for another ten hours. I normally look for highly efficient razors that have some blade feel but are reasonably smooth and comfortable. I was always disappointed with mild razors that are supposed to be very efficient - they are nice but never efficient enough for a two-day shaver who likes a long-lasting, irritation-free shave. This is the first mild razor that completely satisfied me with its efficiency, or even came close. My target for a perfect shave is 12-15 hours complete smoothness with pressure on my skin, but I will take 10 happily for how smooth this razor felt. Maybe I can do a bit better, but for a first shave with this razor it was already a standout and an unprecedented result for me.

Second is hard to describe but I just felt instant total comfort in holding and using this razor. I felt completely in control and at one with the razor, like it was an extension of my hand. It glided effortlessly across my face, perfect weight, perfect balance, unhurried and calm. More than I’ve felt with any other razor. Maybe not everyone would feel the same, for their preferences, but this was really striking to me. I don’t know whether the matte version glides as well as this polished one, but the glide on mine is remarkable.

80FCF8B4-B0D5-47C6-8207-D408086A4A0B.jpeg

@Phoenixkh, @GlazedBoker thanks for your helpful thoughts on the razor. I wouldn’t have tried it without reading your comments.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ok, so I did end up ordering a Claymore Evolution from Executive Shaving and it has arrived. First shave was quite astonishing to me and I am very, very pleased I got the razor. For £140 (I chose the polished version) or £115 for the matte finish it is incredible value. Honestly, if you are looking for a mild-feeling razor that is very efficient (as so many people are), this beats anything else I’ve tried at any price.

I used a Schick Proline P-30 blade. It fit into the razor extremely easily so I think the calibration of the posts to accommodate all popular AC blades is completely a non-issue now.

Is it better than my Blackland Vector? I would certainly say it is as good, and it gives a different enough experience that I think it is well worth owning both (although either could easily be your best or only razor). The Vector has a bit more blade feel and is significantly less smooth on my face (but it’s a pleasant blade feel that is never rough and gives it a scalpel-like sense of precision). The Vector is a touch more efficient (though only by the tiniest margin), and the Vector’s slim head design is something very nice to experience. I actually like the look of the Claymore Evolution and its handle, and the weight and balance feel really good in my hand. The polishing on the Claymore is excellent, by the way, and I don’t know how they can offer this standard of finish for only a £25 premium.

This is a pretty enthusiastic review, but there are two things about the Claymore that really stood out compared to any of my other razors (about 40 premium modern razors - I’ve got most things that people would compare against - but not all, of course):

First is what I said about the very mild, smooth feel but genuine efficiency. I got a completely smooth shave with no irritation at all, and my face stayed smooth even pressing on my skin for another ten hours. I normally look for highly efficient razors that have some blade feel but are reasonably smooth and comfortable. I was always disappointed with mild razors that are supposed to be very efficient - they are nice but never efficient enough for a two-day shaver who likes a long-lasting, irritation-free shave. This is the first mild razor that completely satisfied me with its efficiency, or even came close. My target for a perfect shave is 12-15 hours complete smoothness with pressure on my skin, but I will take 10 happily for how smooth this razor felt. Maybe I can do a bit better, but for a first shave with this razor it was already a standout and an unprecedented result for me.

Second is hard to describe but I just felt instant total comfort in holding and using this razor. I felt completely in control and at one with the razor, like it was an extension of my hand. It glided effortlessly across my face, perfect weight, perfect balance, unhurried and calm. More than I’ve felt with any other razor. Maybe not everyone would feel the same, for their preferences, but this was really striking to me. I don’t know whether the matte version glides as well as this polished one, but the glide on mine is remarkable.

View attachment 1429495

@Phoenixkh, @GlazedBoker thanks for your helpful thoughts on the razor. I wouldn’t have tried it without reading your comments.
I have the matte finish and though I don't have anything to compare it to, it glides over my skin effortlessly. I'm glad you like it. I'm so impressed with mine, I won't be adding any other razors in the foreseeable future. I will experiment with the different AC blades available. In fact, I'm going to try a Feather Soft Guard later this afternoon. I don't really need anything milder... it's an experiment.

But I totally agree with your assessments. I was shocked the first downward stroke I put it through... I wasn't sure it was cutting anything.. but sure enough... it was plowing through 4 days growth like it was nothing. I also like the balance... the feel... it feels like an excellent carpentry hand tool would feel, since that is a frame of reference for me. It reminded me of the first time I used a Stanley 118 low angle block plane... too many years ago now to count.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a wonderful shave yesterday. I tried a ProSoft Guard blade for the first time. It was very interesting... it's a milder blade because it isn't as deep.... but I got a bit more blade feel, which was a bit surprising... and more feedback sound... but a milder shave, I guess. It was just as intuitive as the ProGuard blades I've been using. Still very efficient.... I liked it a lot... I'm still trying to find the right words to describe the shave.

An effortless shave this morning with the Claymore Evo. Face & neck are completely clear of whiskers with an uber smooth face feel to the touch. It had been some time since my last shave with the Evo and I figured I would need a pass or two to get back into the groove with it. No such thing occurred as it was spot on from the first mid-stroke and on. A super comfortable shave with an effectiveness in cutting that few razors can achieve regardless of format. I’ve never requested an exchange with Alpha concerning the minor top cap discrepancy as the results were never affected by this minut issue. Overall it is an excellent shaver with a superb combination of mild yet efficient like characteristics in a shave tool that simply works to near perfection. It reaches the middle ground in terms of affordability if one compares it to the RR Hawk V3 as the low end leader vs the Blackland Vector which is substantially priced at a higher premium. And both are great razors. If you have either of them especially the Hawk V3 with the “A” plate or “OC” version, obtaining a Claymore Evo may be redundant. I think the Evo is a bit more effective in cutting over the Hawk V3 and is equally as smooth if not smoother. As for the Vector, the Evo nearly goes with it toe to toe perhaps only loosing out in how precise and how easily it is to maneuver the Vector over one’s face and neck. To some the lighter weight of the Vector is a key factor on the overall shave feel it provides. But, the Claymore is there and that extra weight does help and yet it still maintains very good balance & feel in the hands. It kicks the Vector’s butt in the price department for an almost equally performance driven razor in the Evo that actually feels a bit softer or warmer if you will on the skin. Can’t speak of the Vector Ti as I’ve never experienced one.

A very good value with excellent quality make up (it took a month or two to sort out the gremlins but, it achieved it) and sound customer service from the maker in getting it right. Is it in the Goldilocks zone of SE razor existence? I don’t know but, it sure is darn close.

Great shaves to all….

766520B9-B40D-4868-8F68-C8B0E2BF0D95.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
An effortless shave this morning with the Claymore Evo. Face & neck are completely clear of whiskers with an uber smooth face feel to the touch. It had been some time since my last shave with the Evo and I figured I would need a pass or two to get back into the groove with it. No such thing occurred as it was spot on from the first mid-stroke and on. A super comfortable shave with an effectiveness in cutting that few razors can achieve regardless of format. I’ve never requested an exchange with Alpha concerning the minor top cap discrepancy as the results were never affected by this minut issue. Overall it is an excellent shaver with a superb combination of mild yet efficient like characteristics in a shave tool that simply works to near perfection. It reaches the middle ground in terms of affordability if one compares it to the RR Hawk V3 as the low end leader vs the Blackland Vector which is substantially priced at a higher premium. And both are great razors. If you have either of them especially the Hawk V3 with the “A” plate or “OC” version, obtaining a Claymore Evo may be redundant. I think the Evo is a bit more effective in cutting over the Hawk V3 and is equally as smooth if not smoother. As for the Vector, the Evo nearly goes with it toe to toe perhaps only loosing out in how precise and how easily it is to maneuver the Vector over one’s face and neck. To some the lighter weight of the Vector is a key factor on the overall shave feel it provides. But, the Claymore is there and that extra weight does help and yet it still maintains very good balance & feel in the hands. It kicks the Vector’s butt in the price department for an almost equally performance driven razor in the Evo that actually feels a bit softer or warmer if you will on the skin. Can’t speak of the Vector Ti as I’ve never experienced one.

A very good value with excellent quality make up (it took a month or two to sort out the gremlins but, it achieved it) and sound customer service from the maker in getting it right. Is it in the Goldilocks zone of SE razor existence? I don’t know but, it sure is darn close.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1485191
I switched out the Claymore Evo handle with a Timeless Ti Crown. That seemed to make the Claymore Evo more nimble. It's been a great razor for me. It is a bit difficult to communicate how it is mild yet efficient... People think you're crazy. ;)

BothRazors.jpg

I switched out the Claymore Evo handle with a Timeless Ti Crown. That seemed to make the Claymore Evo more nimble. It's been a great razor for me. It is a bit difficult to communicate how it is mild yet efficient... People think you're crazy. ;)

View attachment 1485206
Just done the same myself. But have also tried the handle out on a Hawk V3-A plate and ATT SE1, and improved their feel and performance.

Just done the same myself. But have also tried the handle out on a Hawk V3-A plate and ATT SE1, and improved their feel and performance.
How does the Hawk V3-A compare to the Claymore Evolution? I’m seriously considering the Hawk V3-A. Thanks

Tried out my Claymore today for the first time and wow what a shave it was.

For me it felt very efficent as it gave a close shave on the WTG pass compared to my other razors. At certain points on my face I could jump straight to the ATG pass after. It really shined on my chin, which is a hard spot for me to shave often, the razor just removed the growth there without any effort.

I have to learn to dial it in a bit more, but the design made it simple to find a good angle. An interesting obersvation for me was that it had a bit more blade feel compared to what I'm used too, even with the feather proguard blade. But this could also be due to the fact that I'm trying to dial it in. On the right and left side of my face I got a little red from it, but this disappeared almost instantly after I was done shaving.

I'm uncertain if this was due to the blade or the angle, since the proguard felt perhaps a little rough due to the protection they got by design. I'm curious to see how a feather professional or a kai functions in the razor.

I noticed 3 spots that started to bleed. Two of these was close to my chin, and one particular issue for me here is that I often get a pimple from that. But this wasn't the case with the Claymore. I ended up using my Shick L1 for some light touch up here and there and I felt nothing from the shave with the Claymore at those spots.

My neck, as usual however, is the main challenge as it is with all my razors. So I hope that an adjustment of the angle here will give me a much closer shave the next time.

For me the razor felt like a more efficent Shick L1, in the sense that it was efficent yet smooth. And it certainly shaved different than my Supply V2 with a 3 dots plate. Just to compare it a bit to other razors that I have.

The design of the handle felt like it had purpose when I had to switch from pointing the razor up or down. The weight was very ideal and helped to prevent me from using pressure. Which always is a benefit in my book. The only challenge at times was to get more used to only using parts of the blade on certain points of my face. Due to AC blade size. But I'm certain this will come with time.

The extra fees related to customs was certainly worth it when the razor functions this way. And I sort of wonder why I didnt get this sooner. To each their own of course, but the extra cost for the AC blades are certainly worth it for me, if the razor keeps delivering the same results as now. With the added benefits that I can buy feather AC blades from webstores in Norway, rather than buying and getting them shipped from other countries. Which I have to do with GEM and injector razor blades.

Top Bottom