What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Currently on 15 uses on a personna lab blue, very impressed with this blade, similar longevity to the 7 oclock sharp edges.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Shave 7 today on a Treet Black Beauty.

So far no deterioration of shave quality. Still no rust on blade edge.

I have confidence in this result. The 7 shave figure is had by dividing 14 shaves by two blades, which I rotate. This lowers the probability that some variable other than the blade has caused an exceptionally good or exceptionally bad shave.

Conclusions so far: two major conclusions.

First Conclusion: more than any other factor, lather quality is what determines quality of the shave overall. Not until this experiment have I realized how crucial lather quality is. Teflon-coated blades allow us to get away with poor shave lather prep. I now realize they’ve definitely let me get away with it. Maybe they’re like teflon-coated pans, which allow the cook to dodge the task of keeping cast iron properly seasoned. In both cases—cooking and shaving—there are costs to convenience. If you’ve tasted food cooked in a seasoned cast iron pan, then you know what I mean. I urge you to try your own Black Beauty experiment. You’ll soon be working hard to get the shiny, thick meringue-like consistency that probably too few of us shave with on a regular basis.

Second Conclusion: the strongest secondary factor determining overall quality of shave is avoiding the quasi-three-pass shave in favor of the true three-pass shave. A true three-pass shave is one in which no part of your face has been swiped with the blade more than three times. A quasi-three-pass is one in which lather has been applied three times, but parts of your face (often many parts) have been swiped with the blade more than three times. If you use lots of short strokes on each ‘pass’, then those passes are not blade passes. They’re lather passes. In a merely quasi-three-pass shave, and presuming short triple-strokes, you will have swiped parts of your face nine times. Six of those nine will have been latherless.

Background info: the Black Beauties have exclusively seen the Fatip piccolo baseplate with Yaqi DOC topcap (18.5mm); steep shaving angle; Arko stick; face lathering.

I last posted on the culmination of my Treet Classic experiment. I halted that at 58 shaves. I’m curious how far these Black Beauties will take me. Though I’ve wet-shaved for years, I’m learning a lot from this experiment.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am currently into my first foray with blade longevity. I just completed shave 19 on a Personna 74. No sign of shave quality degradation. Using a GC 84. And since I shave every 2 to 4 days, my blades do take a bit of a beating compared to shaving every day. So far I’m having fun with this.

I ended up, totally by accident, working my 160th shave with this Nacet with a model 160 Goodwill. How about that.
Also trying out Padre Leone for the first time. A little subtle, but I really enjoyed it.

Razor: Gillette - Goodwill 160
Blade: Gillette - Nacet (160)
Lather: Wholly Kaw Tallow - Padre Leone
Brush: Stirling - Finest Badger w CravingtShaving Blue Slate Handle 26mm (9 uses)

This is an aggressive razor. I had to ride the cap to keep it under control. I managed to escape any cuts or nicks, and even any kind of irritation or razor burn. But it was tenuous.

I don't really know if I want to try a fresh blade in this guy. But he did well with the Nacet.

And here's the video if you want to check it out...

Personna 74's should last a very long time, maybe I'll try to find some someday when I'm not on a Sabbatical and see.

I've found 7 O'Clock Blacks last me a very long time (currently at shave 110 and will probably get some more), but the Derby Premium was a disappointment. Not getting good shaves and it's only on 13 on the first edge, may only get 30 shaves out of it.

It's an adventure!

Greetings Excalibur Club.
I would like to apply for club membership. I have been though straight razors, DE's, dabbled with SE but now I am exclusively using injector razors. I am currently 17 shaves in on a Schick Proline in a Schick Stick razor.
I like the injector razors because the head design gives you the perfect angle for shaving, ride the flat head on your skin. At least for me, and as always, YMMV, lol.
As an experiment once, I went 56 consecutive shaves on a Gold Dollar 66, using only stropping between passes. I only stopped because I got bored with using the same razor. The finishing hone was a surgical black Arkansas stone. I don't use straights anymore, I got a bit bored with the maintenance.
DE shaving to me seemed like a never ending hodge podge of blades from sampler backs, razors rotated, etc. Mostly great shaves, some good, some not so good. I adhered to the urban myth of 3 shaves and bin the blade. I do believe that some blades work better in certain razors. I finally found injectors and had my "Ah-Ha!" moment. So here I am with the classic Schicks. I have an E2, a G8, a Stick and a Grip. Sold all my DEs, and need to get off my butt and sell my straights and hones. Yeah, I have a number of AD's like most of us here (don't even get me started on soaps and creams, haha), but the limited number of injector razors and blade variety will help me concentrate easier on shave quality.
My prep is usually a shower and then shave. Sometimes if I don't shower first, I will wash my face, and when my skin feels as if the water is almost all dried off, I will wash it again and wait a few minutes before I lather up. I 3017 my soaps also. Currently using some Mike's Natural Barbershop.
I have read 50 pages of this thread so far, and will eventually finish and catch up.
My benchmarks for blade life: Not feeling as if the blade if pulling hairs as opposed to cutting them, no significant after shave burn, and how long before I feel significant stubble.
I have noticed that I got a crappy shave (A/S burn, stubble returning early) and then got a great shave the next day on the same blade. I used this to learn to pay attention to keeping the injector head flat on my face.
My thoughts on pressure: Yes, you do need some pressure against your skin. Whiskers do resist being cut, and razor blades aren't sharpened literally to the molecular level. You have to find the balance between minimum cutting force needed and skin irritation tolerance levels.

Greetings Excalibur Club.
I would like to apply for club membership.

Welcome.

The Schick Proline is an outstanding blade. I got more shaves out of a B-20 Proline than I have gotten out of any other injector blade, including the Personna 74. I will be interested in seeing how far you go with yours.

Welcome.

The Schick Proline is an outstanding blade. I got more shaves out of a B-20 Proline than I have gotten out of any other injector blade, including the Personna 74. I will be interested in seeing how far you go with yours.

Currently on page 60/165, and avidly reading this thread. I am sure that I will eventually find what your blade count is, but I honestly do not want to know beforehand. I don't want to prejudice myself with a preconceived notion of how many shaves I "should" be getting. I feel the biggest roadblock to successful Excaliburing (Excalibation? lol) is our own minds, of how many shaves until we pitch the blade, when we should be focusing on the shave itself versus a number of shaves.
I do a two full pass (WTG and ATG) shave, and then another WTG and ATG on my neck. I do a few sideways strokes from under the jaw/ear to the center of my neck also. After shaving, I rinse the razor and then strop a few times on a microfiber cloth, mostly to remove any residue, not for any real stropping purposes.

Sounds like you are well on your way! The real point of the Excalibur club is get great shaves, and long blade life seem to follow good technique.

I'm currently having some trouble getting really close shaves, I suspect because I'm not paying enough attention while shaving. May need to try a different razor to see if I'm in a rut with my Fatboys and Slims.

Blade life is definitely determined by shave quality -- when I have a lot of stubble by dinner time and my technique seems to be OK, the blade is worn out. The first few (or first dozen) shaves on an edge feel miraculously smooth, but that's the PTFE, not the edge. Once the teflon wears off, the feel of the shave changes, but I find that feel does not change much more over the life of the blade. Not that "no blade in the razor" sensation, but if you want that you will be tossing blades after three or four shaves. The higher friction doesn't bother me much so long as I have the razor at the correct angle and the edge in contact, although some blades are better than others (Derby and Lord Rainbow so far drag badly).

Luckily for me, I also appear to have rhino hide for skin, I don't think I've had significant irritation since the last time I tried to shave with a badly honed straight (my fault, bevel wasn't set well). Even when I have a handful of weepers I don't get razor burn.

I have totally lost track of how many shaves I have on my current blade might be six head and face shaves might be ten. But it’s still cutting close and comfortable so it’s staying in the razor.

The post about a Schick injector reminds me, I found my old one (it was my dad's, or granddad's) and I found some blades. May try it now that it appears the Derby Premium isn't going to last as long as it should. I only quit using it because I could no longer find blades for it when I was in graduate school in the late 80's.

And at 20 it ends for the Proline B20. I was faceturbating last night at work, wondering if my stubble was coming back to quickly. I had been pondering this the last few days, but figured I was just being paranoid. I would stroke my chin, run my fingertips across my neck, use my knuckle to feel my upper lip......and then look at the clock to see how long ago I shaved. Maybe my stubble is coming back a little too early? The shaves were still buttery smooth..... so when I got home, I took out a 50x pocket microscope and sure enough, two shiny spots on the edge. I'm bummed out. I wanted to go longer. But 20 shaves is by far the longest I've ever shaved with the same blade, other than a straight razor. So I loaded up a Personna injector blade in my Schick Grip and started over. My first first into Excalibur land, and certainly not my last. I learned a lot, and hopefully will continue learning.

In addition to technique, long blade life requires care not to bang it on anything, or scrape the edge by accident. Just like a straight, any contact with anything harder than hair pretty much removes the sharpness. The more times you use a blade the higher the likelyhood of doing incidental damage, sadly.

I managed to crack a blade once cleaning the soap scum off, not nice at all. Randomly grabbed a bit of skin and produced a tiny nick. Naturally this was on the good edge, not the well used one.....

In addition to technique, long blade life requires care not to bang it on anything, or scrape the edge by accident. Just like a straight, any contact with anything harder than hair pretty much removes the sharpness. The more times you use a blade the higher the likelyhood of doing incidental damage, sadly.
I suspect that's what happened to a Schick blade that I transferred from a Frankejector to an Schick E3. That blade was not as good at 5-6 shaves as another that was left in a Lady Eversharp for 19 shaves (and counting).
Now that I've got an abundance of Schick blades I'm just going start over by reloading the E3 with a fresh blade.

In the DE department, I'm up to 30 with a Feather. It seems to be better than other Feathers I've taken that far. I'm quite enjoying using it in a QShave Futur clone most of the time.

SOTD:
prep shower
Feather (30)
British Aristocrat Junior
24 mm SynBad
The Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe shave cream
I got a BBS and one small nick, because I was rushing it.​

Blade: Gillette - Nacet (170)
Razor: Timeless - Stainless Steel .68 - Open Comb
Lather: Mickey Lee Soapworks - Juraté
Brush: Semogue - 1250 Boar (16 uses)

Great shave. A bit of a milestone today with the blade. And tried a new scent, Jurate, which I love!

Great solid shave, with a close cut. Chugging along with this Nacet that just won't quit.

170 is indeed a milestone! I've gotten 110 on a 7 O'Clock Black and it's still usable, but not sure I'd get to 100 (or even 50) on a Nacet. They don't seem to agree with me. Will try another someday, but it will be a while I think.

170 is indeed a milestone! I've gotten 110 on a 7 O'Clock Black and it's still usable, but not sure I'd get to 100 (or even 50) on a Nacet. They don't seem to agree with me. Will try another someday, but it will be a while I think.
Yeah, it does seem to be working for me. I'm looking forward to hyper-miling other blades, but man, it takes so long! :)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Shave 25 today on the much-dreaded Treet Black Beauty.

The BB has retained its sharpness. (Retained its dullness?; I'm not sure how to put it.) I’m surprised by this. Minor corrosion on blade edge.

Is a BB at 25 shaves more surprising than the 58 I got out of a Treet Classic? I don't know.

A BB on 20+ shaves needs slow, methodical technique. I use a steep shaving angle (handle parallel with face) and some pressure to get a straight razor sort of sound on the stroke. Lots of feedback.

For the curious: R41 2013 & Yaqi narrow topcap (18.5mm); 25 shaves = 50 on two blades rotated.

I'm gonna take a week off from the BB. Is anyone interested in seeing how much further the BB can go? If so, then feel free to let me know. I'd be happy to continue the experiment.

I switched my current Derby Premium to a slant, greatly improved the quality and feel of the shave, but it's still only going to get to 50 shaves at best. Better than a Derby Extra, but nothing like a 7 O'Clock Black for me.

Top Bottom