What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Beautiful Shave my friend! Im taking a break from the feather too, im going to use some new blades a bit.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk
Thank you! Marathons are sometimes neat , but we do have to take occasional tangents to get things interesting .

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I'm definitely in this club. Since I started DE shaving in February, I've only used 2 Derby blades (I shave daily). Both blades are in different razors, still usable in varying degrees. My question to experienced members here is: How much tugging is too much tugging? Right now I can experience tugging only when going ATG on my chin, which has the toughest whiskers.

My question to experienced members here is: How much tugging is too much tugging?
As per the OP:
Entrance Criteria: No hard criteria, but to qualify for putting "Excalibur" in your signature, you should make an concerted effort to see how many great shaves you can get on a blade. Don't assume a blade is bad just because you have a bit of irritation. Push through those issues - they are usually you, not the blade. Pitch the blade when you have repeatable problems - tugging, etc. Repeat this process for several blades at least before determining how many shaves are "your number". Keep evaluating the max number as your technique improves. Often as your prep and technique improves, your number of shaves per blade will increase!
I'd say it it tugs for more than two shaves, pitch it.

Last edited:
Shave 52 today on a Treet Classic.

I last posted at shave 45.

Still no deterioration of shave quality. Still no rust on blade edge.

I have, however, noticed the following: efficient shaving angle is changing as blade sharpness (slightly) decreases. So, my usual steep shaving angle (i.e., handle near parallel with face) is working less well. I've had to begin using a more conventional angle to get a close shave. No problem there. Just a difference.

Background info: the 52 shave figure is had by dividing 104 shaves by two blades, which I rotate. The blades have since shave 45 exclusively seen the Fatip (w/YAQI DOC topcap (18.5mm)).

This is my third Excalibur Club post. Thanks again club members for inspiration.

My current blade, a Topaz Platinum, was chosen for the "One Blade in February" Challenge because I thought it wouldn't last a very long time. Shave 79 today, still cutting pretty well and even usable on the first edge in a pinch. It's in a 1941 Aristocrat, can be difficult to keep track of the edge I'm using as I cannot see the stampings once I put my contact in. Will last 90 shaves at least, maybe 100. Wasn't expecting this, was thinking it was more like the Rainbow last year that barely made it through Feb.

I think I'm getting better and controlling the shaving angle and getting better reduction on each pass with resulting less wear on the edge.

Someday I will try the first blades I used again to see if they are better now. I was un-impressed with the Derby Extra, so I've slotted that in for when my 7am Hi Platinum gives up, probably around 80 shaves or so, and will see how it works now. Won't be until sometime next year.

It's funny, now that my technique has improved, I keep shaving longer on every blade and using less soap per shave. Just doesn't take much lather to lubricate the skin.

Another project is to someday try a slant razor -- I have two, but wont' be changing any blades after this Topaz plays out in June, so it will have to be with a used blade unless I wait till Christmas.

Shave 58 today on a Treet Classic.

I last posted at shave 52.

I had been rotating two Treet Classics (e.g., the post at shave 52 was 104 shaves on two blades). During the last ten days of this Treet Classic experiment, however, I rotated out one of the Treets and rotated in various other newer blades to better gauge dwindling sharpness. Result: halted the experiment at shave 58.

Conclusions: the Treet Classic is a better blade than most presume, and for the cost it's excellent. It needs an aggressive razor to shine, since it's not all that sharp (similar sharpness to the rapira super stainless, if I had to put a wager on it). It doesn't rust at all if simply dried after each use. It maintains its edge reliably for, say, 30 shaves (three pass). I pushed it to learn what it'll do. In future, I would probably use one per month simply to keep things easy, changing to a new Treet Classic at the beginning of each month.

Background info: Fatip (w/YAQI DOC topcap (18.5mm)). Blades rotated in: Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (2 wks used), feather (2 wks used), rapira super stainless.

Next to test: I'm considering pushing two Treet black beauties, leaving one to dry on the sunny windowsill each day, just as I did the Classics. The black beauty is not as sharp as the Classic. I wonder how far I can push it.

Tonight:
L4 Slim @ 5,7, 9 / Astra SP (50)
APShaveCo 24 mm SynBad
Speick stick
Alum, cold water, Mennen Skin Bracer​
I decided to retire the blade, since it started to decline in performance at around #45 or so.

Also, at #48 I decided to use it in my Fendrihan Full Stainless with the Mk I combo head, the one that is given to doing this to blades:

This time it did not fall apart, but I did spot a very short crack near the middle hole, and that it seemed to had pushed the one of the sides of the hole up a bit.
I placed it back onto the cap and saw that it was a snug fit when I pushed it down to the cap.
I inspected the cap itself and saw that the cap end of the post is not threaded and looks wider in diameter than the threaded part.
So what was happening was that by torquing down the head onto the handle it was attempting to enlarge the middle blade hole, thereby deforming it.
Since I typically flip the blade between uses, it would've been bending it back and forth.

Now I have to decide if I should file it, or grind it with a dremel, or what.

Shave 58 today on a Treet Classic.

I last posted at shave 52.

I had been rotating two Treet Classics (e.g., the post at shave 52 was 104 shaves on two blades). During the last ten days of this Treet Classic experiment, however, I rotated out one of the Treets and rotated in various other newer blades to better gauge dwindling sharpness. Result: halted the experiment at shave 58.

Conclusions: the Treet Classic is a better blade than most presume, and for the cost it's excellent. It needs an aggressive razor to shine, since it's not all that sharp (similar sharpness to the rapira super stainless, if I had to put a wager on it). It doesn't rust at all if simply dried after each use. It maintains its edge reliably for, say, 30 shaves (three pass). I pushed it to learn what it'll do. In future, I would probably use one per month simply to keep things easy, changing to a new Treet Classic at the beginning of each month.

Background info: Fatip (w/YAQI DOC topcap (18.5mm)). Blades rotated in: Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (2 wks used), feather (2 wks used), rapira super stainless.

Next to test: I'm considering pushing two Treet black beauties, leaving one to dry on the sunny windowsill each day, just as I did the Classics. The black beauty is not as sharp as the Classic. I wonder how far I can push it.
Great job with those Treets! As I said before I never thought a carbon blade could go so far. I can't wait to see how you do with the black beauties.

Your replies are much appreciated, Saxonbowman.

A Treet sampler arrived yesterday. (Note for the interested: razorbladesclub in Sweden, via the Bonanza website. My 1st purchase from the seller. Got them in nine days to the US. Well-packed w/hefty ziploc, etc.)

I’ll begin the black beauty experiment this weekend.

Got a really crummy shave today with a Gillette Silver Blue with 12 shaves on it. Gotta be my technique, I was in a hurry. Can't believe a blade that feels that sharp would go from super nice to a dud in one shave!

Tomorrow will tell.

My resolve on my journey has been shaken. I was doing pretty well until recently. Apparently I don't really understand Big Ben blades. I 3017'd a pack but they were not lasting a month or two before my shaves went seriously downhill. So I pulled out the next pack ... The shave today was horrible! I was thinking that the first shave on this blade sucks alot more than the one I just tossed. At the end of the shave that took several more passes than I am used to I put the Blendax blade into the sharps bin. I have never one and done a blade before and as I sit her now I wonder why I suffered through the "one" part.

I normally 3017 everything... so the fact that I didn't get the next blade from the Blendax pack kind of surprised me. I went to my secret bedroom stash (that SWMBO doesn't know about) and pulled out another pack. Tomorrow will be a BIC blade. While I have not used this variant I have been able to go a month (or more) with other BIC blades so I am not too worried about what tomorrow will bring.

I am unsure what I will do with the remaining nine blades. I know I don't want to shave with them... but tossing them seems wasteful. I don't know anyone that uses DE blades that I hate enough to "gift" them to. Right now I am on the fence of putting them in the sharp bin or maybe taking out to the shop to see just how thin I can weld.

I am in a daze... I have never tried a blade that just doesn't work at all for me. I have had some that were a bit harder to get an excellent shave but these feel really thick and dull and just yank whiskers rather than cutting them.

Ruckin

It's always possible you got a dud blade, it does happen occasionally.

But it's your face, and for the price there is nothing at all wrong with tossing the bladed in the trash.

When I bought my QShave Futur clone it came with a pack of 5 QShave branded "Titanium" blades.
"Made in USA"
proxy.php

The lack of any markings was a bit disturbing, for some reason.
Eh, why not. So I loaded up my QShave adjustable with one.
By golly, it was great. Very smooth for a first shave.
I was thinking to see how far I can take it.

Tonight I used it for the 7th time (in a Wilkinson Sword long-handle TTO), and I'm pretty sure it's not going to make 100.
Maybe not even 30. Or 10. We'll see.

How much tugging is too much tugging?
I swap it when it becomes less pleasant than not shaving.

Last edited:
I'm definitely in this club. Since I started DE shaving in February, I've only used 2 Derby blades (I shave daily). Both blades are in different razors, still usable in varying degrees. My question to experienced members here is: How much tugging is too much tugging? Right now I can experience tugging only when going ATG on my chin, which has the toughest whiskers.
Replace blades when they become uncomfortable for you to use. The degree of tugging that is tolerable varies from person to person.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

SOTD:
British Aristocrat Junior
QShave Titanium blade (10 and out)
Semogue 620
Barrister & Mann Seville soap
post: warm water rinse, styptic pencil, alum block, cold water rinse, Reuzel AS

That blade is permanently benched. The last three shaves have given me nicks deep enough to require the styptic pencil, using three different razors (QShave Futur clone, Aristocrat jr, and a Pre-war fat-handle Tech, IIRC). I rarely get that after 5-7 shaves from a blade.
Even so, it was a great first and second shave. If I was the sort to toss a blade after one use, the QShave Titanium might be my first choice. :thumbup1:

But I am not, so it is not.:thumbdown
Next up: Feather (again) Let's see if I can get any further with one this time around.

There is a difference between "the blade tugs because the edge isn't on your skin" and "the blade tugs because it's dull", and even the wrong angle with the edge in contact can be uncomfortable.

I don't mind the drag as much as other people I think, and I have skin like a rhino hide, almost never get any irritation. So I can tolerate shaving with blades others would have discarded a while ago with no trouble. I ditch them when they get either painfully draggy or just won't give me a close shave with three passes.

I think that using a blade as long as you can stand to teaches quite a bit about correct shaving angles -- when you learn to minimized the drag after the PTFE wears off, you are close to the ideal cutting angle and the edge will last longer while you get more comfortable shaves. Depending on the PTFE for "smooth" shaves will allow very "out of spec" angles and resultant discomfort as the coating wears and edge damage, plus extra drag and irritation.

But blades are a couple cents each, don't feel you have to have unpleasant shaves.

Haven't been doing a lot of longevity tests lately, but this morning I reached the "Forty Shaves" milestone for the first time. Hit it with the Astra Superior Stainless blade I used for the One-Blade-in-February Challenge in a Merkur Futur. The shave was close and comfortable and achieved in two passes & moderate touch up.

I know there are good shaves remaining, but I'm not sure I want to continue with the Astra SS. I have some NOS Gillettes and Wilkinsons I want to see if I can hit 50 shaves with.

Grats on the personal best milestone. I recently had a personal worst. Not sure what was going on but I struggled to get through a single shave with a Blendax Stainless. Someday I may go back and try another one of the blades in the pack to see if it was a fluke or not. Currently I am 3017ing my way through a pack of Bic chrome platinum. I am up to 13 shaves so far so I have a way to go before I pass the 61 shaves I got from an Astra SP but I feel the Bic is just getting started.

Ruckin.

Top Bottom