What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

I've heard that Kai blades are marginally wider than other blade brands, so perhaps this is having an impact on the feel of the blade. Some people apparently use them on razors that they wish had more blade exposure. I don't have experience with either brand of blade, so this is just what I have picked up from various forums!
Yep. A standard DE blade is 22.0mm wide, whereas a Kai blade is 22.2mm wide (i.e. an extra 0.1mm [or blade thickness] each side. ShaveWiki Reference Link.

Hit 145 today!

Razor
: Gillette - Sheraton 1938
Blade: Gillette - Nacet (145)
Lather: Stubble Buster - Daybreak
Brush: Zenith - B10 Red Boar (13 uses)

Messed up schedule today. Shaving at an odd time. Trying out Daybreak again to see if it is to lowly-scented for me. It is. And now we're just 5 away from 150 on the blade!

blade and razor cutting well, just a little bit tuggy on the first pass. But still excellent close shave, though it requires buffing, or extra pass.

Great shave!!!
If i ever get a 3D printer i'm definitely printing one of those bowls,looks fantastic! very impressive blade lifespan on that gillette blade!!!!

3 shaves in on an Astra SP... I would normally bin a blade at this point, but the shave was very close and lovely and smooth. Looking forward to next shave with it!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Retired a Feather Proguard after 43 shaves. Longest run to date on this blade brand.

Wow! Nice job, davidsilva.

I started out with Feathers when first getting into wet shaving (yes, probably a mistake to begin with the sharpest blade). I've wondered how much sharpness the Feather will maintain after many, many shaves. Since beginning this Excalibur journey, I've shaved with my Treet Classic 47 times. But I've yet to begin with another blade type. The Treet has lost sharpness only a little, and only very slowly. If you would be so kind, what's your estimation of the Feather in this regard?

Re/"Retired a Feather Proguard after 43 shaves. Longest run to date on this blade brand." -davidsilva

Wow! Nice job, davidsilva.

I started out with Feathers when first getting into wet shaving (yes, probably a mistake to begin with the sharpest blade). I've wondered how much sharpness the Feather will maintain after many, many shaves. Since beginning this Excalibur journey, I've shaved with my Treet Classic 47 times. But I've yet to begin with another blade type. The Treet has lost sharpness only a little, and only very slowly. If you would be so kind, what's your estimation of the Feather in this regard?

Oops. I just realized that you're not talking about the double edge blades for safety razors. My mistake.

Thanks for your comments @MerkurMan55! This one one of the Feather SE blades, which are a bit thicker than DE blades and seem to hold an edge well. And yes, my experience is like yours. The blades start out very sharp - depending on the razor almost too sharp - and then slowly lose sharpness. One habit I have to break is resting the razor blade side down, this seems to slowly damage the edge. Treet Classic are good blades, I get upwards of 30 shaves on them. No harm no foul mi mixing data on SE and DE blades, it's all good!

3 shaves in on an Astra SP... I would normally bin a blade at this point, but the shave was very close and lovely and smooth. Looking forward to next shave with it!

That's how I got started, by going one shave past the arbitrary number that I had been throwing my blade away at, then one more, and so on.

That's how I got started, by going one shave past the arbitrary number that I had been throwing my blade away at, then one more, and so on.

I've now had 4 shaves on that blade. I put the blade into my R41 and enjoyed a wonderful shave without weepers or irritation, and got a near BBS result!

SOTD:
What a beautiful Shave! I switched out the aristocrat for the UK made super speed flair tip today, and what a great razor! I find it shaves very similarly to the Aristocrat, but the head seems to be easier to manuvere into tight to reach places.

I decided to do an afternoon shave because i have to get up early tomorrow, and im so glad i did.

This feather blade never ceases to amaze me. I told myself as i started lathering that this will be the last shave with the feather, but the way it effortlessly cut through almost two days of growth changed my mind.

I went with Arko again this morning, i tend to use it at least twice a week, its such a good performing soap.

Razor: gillette super speed flare tip(UK)
Blade: feather hi-stainless (31)
Soap: Arko shave stick
Brush: dischem synthetic
Aftershave: status for men
proxy.php

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Shave 5 on the Astra. Uncharted territory for me at this point... It wasn't that comfortable a shave today - the R41 felt very tuggy, though I don't normally shave on consecutive days. My razor (with blade) was chucked into my bag by the wife and I'm not sure if the edge was damaged at all... I'll try it again in my EFBT next time and see how I get on!

Shave 5 on the Astra. Uncharted territory for me at this point... It wasn't that comfortable a shave today - the R41 felt very tuggy, though I don't normally shave on consecutive days. My razor (with blade) was chucked into my bag by the wife and I'm not sure if the edge was damaged at all... I'll try it again in my EFBT next time and see how I get on!
Do you wash and dry blades after use?

Ive found that Washing and drying definitely makes a huge difference for me.

Do you towel dry, or do you use a hairdryer?

Also, how do you dry the blades? [emoji23]

Last edited:
Do you towel dry, do you use a hairdryer?

Also, how do you dry the blades? [emoji23]

I remove the blade, wash it in war water using my hand in the opposite direction to the cutting edge to avoid any cuts and dab dry with a towel.

150!!!!

Razor: Gillette - Sheraton 1938
Blade: Gillette - Nacet (150)
Lather: Barrister and Mann - Diamond
Brush: Declaration Grooming - B5 Carnavis and Richardson Rubberset 400 24mm (4 uses)

*General Notes / TL;DR*:
Big 150! How about that? Whodathunkit? Good comfy shave.

*Razor and Blade Notes* - Gillette - Sheraton 1938 ::: Gillette - Nacet (150 uses):
I don't think this blade feels any different than it did at 100! Good shave. Decided to do 4 passes with less buffing, just to get more of that Diamond on me!

I'll take a bit of a hiatus now, to use other razors and blades before I get back on the Nacet train.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

150!!!!

Brush: Declaration Grooming - B5 Carnavis and Richardson Rubberset 400 24mm (4 uses)

*General Notes / TL;DR*:

*Razor and Blade Notes* - Gillette - Sheraton 1938 ::: Gillette - Nacet (150 uses):
I don't think this blade feels any different than it did at 100! Good shave. Decided to do 4 passes with less buffing, just to get more of that Diamond on me!

I'll take a bit of a hiatus now, to use other razors and blades before I get back on the Nacet train.

Beautiful Shave my friend! Im taking a break from the feather too, im going to use some new blades a bit.

150!!!!

*General Notes / TL;DR*:

Wow, congratulations! For me 100 was a stretch. 150 is beyond awesome!

Top Bottom