What's new

Everyday Shoes

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+1 on $60 not buying much of a shoe.

That said, if that's all you have to work with ... so be it. :sad:

You can get a rubber half-sole put on the leather sole by a decent cobbler (shoe repair guy) for probably $20 or so, and it'll greatly improve the lifespan of your soles.

Otherwise, look for shoes with rubber soles. I don't mean rubber like athletic shoes or Doc Martens (which can't make a 'dressy' looking shoe IMHO) but a hard rubber "Dainite" sole that you can find on many of the better-made English shoes.

expensive examples:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...color=OAK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

see if these fit you ...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/...ingtip-Derby-Shoes-Brogue-Welted-For-Men.html

I don't think there is such a thing as "starter" shoes. If you are going to be on your feet in them for hours a day, you want good quality. I don't know the brands the other guys have mentioned, but I have had a pair of Florsheim's for maybe thirty years. I have replaced the heels a couple of times, that is all. If you take reasonable care of them...put trees in them when you are not wearing them, keep a coat of polish on them...they last pretty much a lifetime. And classic designs never go out of style.

Another option is to go used. Other than my running sneakers and my gardening boots, I wear Allen Edmonds exclusively. I bought every pair used, and never paid more than $20. If you have the time to dig through eBay listings you can find quality shoes that don't need anything more than a little polishing.

You got me thinking about shoes. Man's greatest invention, possibly. The most basic and reliable form of transportation. Shoes let you travel over sharp rocks, hot sidewalks in the summer, keep your feet warm in winter. You will never have to clean dog poop from between your toes if you have shoes. Your shoes will take you out of a bad relationship. If you are threatened, shoes give you options...you can kick your attacker or run away from him...shoes will serve you faithfully either way.
These are my shoes. There are millions like them, but these are MY shoes...

You got me thinking about shoes. Man's greatest invention, possibly. The most basic and reliable form of transportation. Shoes let you travel over sharp rocks, hot sidewalks in the summer, keep your feet warm in winter. You will never have to clean dog poop from between your toes if you have shoes. Your shoes will take you out of a bad relationship. If you are threatened, shoes give you options...you can kick your attacker or run away from him...shoes will serve you faithfully either way.
These are my shoes. There are millions like them, but these are MY shoes...

Great post! I never leave home without 'em. To all the flip flop wearing savages (who are admittedly probably not reading the haberdashery subsection of a wet shaving forum), your ill advised choice of footwear does not offer all of the options that shoes do.

Another option is to go used. Other than my running sneakers and my gardening boots, I wear Allen Edmonds exclusively. I bought every pair used, and never paid more than $20. If you have the time to dig through eBay listings you can find quality shoes that don't need anything more than a little polishing.

I have done this for Bali and Johnson and Murphy. If you know were to look, you can find "used" shoes that have never been worn and you will pay $10-$20 for a $300 or more shoe!

Dave

this is actually exactly what i ended up doing, i found a pair on ebay for 25 bucks or so and bought them, the only thing is i hope they fit, thanks for the great advice guys! love this site

$50-$60 bucks is only good enough for junk shoes here in my neighborhood. The better stuff is $90 and up for quality leather, craftsmanship, longevity and comfort.

Another option is to attach metal or plastic heel taps; they really slow down heel wear, but they add additional noise when walking.

V

VR6ofpain

Do you have a Nordstrom Rack near you? You can get top quality shoes on the cheap. You see stuff like Allen Edmonds. I picked up a great pair of To Book NY (Adam Derrick) penny loafers a while back. They are super comfortable, very well made in Italy, and cost only $80. I like them as they are a little more current with a squared toe. Here is a photo of them:
proxy.php

Ecco makes dress shoes & they can be obtained for less than $100 if you shop around and online. I have bought a few pairs that way and wear them to work every day while my Rockports gather dust. Compared to Ecco, other brands' shoes are just too heavy, clunky, or stiff. Great shoes.

+1
Eccos are the best - pricey, perhaps; but when you factor in how long they last, they are not that expensive; they last twice as long as any other shoe I've had. I bought two pair (two different styles) for work and alternated every couple of days. That was over 3 years ago and they still look good, feel great, and the soles still have tread. I've had Rockport, Clarks, and Doc Martens, and Ecco beats them all hands down.

Zappos is a great online vendor: http://www.zappos.com/mens-ecco

Top Bottom