What's new

Everyday Shoes

So i attend a small private fairly conservative school, we have to wear dress shoes to class everyday, the problem is walking on all that cement everyday wore through the sole of my dress shoes and very fast, what i was looking for was either some shoes or a type of sole that prevented this or some sort of answer, my price range i think would be around the 50-60 range as of right now....

Im not sure of the price, but I had to get my boots done in the military when wore through. I had vibram soles put on the bottom of them and they were confortable and lasted.

I would check around and see what the price is to get them put on. I cant see it being too expensive.

I'm not sure what kind of shoe $50-60 will buy...meaning, you'll continue to wear through them because of the cheap leather and rubber soles and may end up buying 3-4 pairs of shoes. You could buy 2 pairs of shoes and alternate them, they'll last longer.

how much would a tough pair of fairly nice dress shoes cost? what are some of those brands? i will definately look into Dr. Marten's i've heard my dad mention doc martens before.... hmm haha

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm not sure what kind of shoe $50-60 will buy...meaning, you'll continue to wear through them because of the cheap leather and rubber soles and may end up buying 3-4 pairs of shoes. You could buy 2 pairs of shoes and alternate them, they'll last longer.

+1 on $60 not buying much of a shoe.

That said, if that's all you have to work with ... so be it. :sad:

You can get a rubber half-sole put on the leather sole by a decent cobbler (shoe repair guy) for probably $20 or so, and it'll greatly improve the lifespan of your soles.

Otherwise, look for shoes with rubber soles. I don't mean rubber like athletic shoes or Doc Martens (which can't make a 'dressy' looking shoe IMHO) but a hard rubber "Dainite" sole that you can find on many of the better-made English shoes.

expensive examples:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...color=OAK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

well i'd rather buy one or two shoes through college than 6 or so, so i will look into those more expensive soles, and just better quality, thanks for pointing me in a good direction!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Allen Edmonds makes a series with Vibram soles, I think they are called "business casual". I believe that a good shoe, like an AE, is in the long run cheaper than a cheap shoe and much better for your feet as well. A shoe like this can be totally re-crafted. I have several pairs that are 10-15 years old and were re-crafted, they come back and look nearly new.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Allen Edmonds makes a series with Vibram soles, I think they are called "business casual". I believe that a good shoe, like an AE, is in the long run cheaper than a cheap shoe and much better for your feet as well. A shoe like this can be totally re-crafted. I have several pairs that are 10-15 years old and were re-crafted, they come back and look nearly new.

I have a pair of these and they are very well made, but very expensive. I think mine were close to $300, which I bought at the factory store. The soles are very durable and should easily last several years with proper care of the leather uppers.

For a college student, I would check out Marshals for something cheap. Also check the auction sites for Allen Edmonds. Even a used pair would be a great find if they are in good shape.

I would say that the best advice has already been given: get your shoes re-soled as needed, and take good care of the uppers.

A shoe salesman once explained to me that moisture (from your feet) is what destroys dress shoes the most. His advice was to have (at least) two pairs of shoes, and to wear each for only a few days, letting the others dry out. To him, that meant leaving them in an open space for a day or two, then inserting cedar shoe trees. For the uppers: a good cream to keep them from drying out (not in the water sense) and cracking.

None of the above is going to be compatible with a 60 dollar budget, I' m afraid. In terms of brand, I tend to think that Rockports have declined in quality in recent years. I prefer Ecco for "beater" dress shoes, where the name of the game is ARCH SUPPORT, not price.

If you are attending a conservative school in Ankeny, Iowa, then you are headed for a life where you will be on your feet a lot, and will not be rolling in luxury. Surely there is some conventional wisdom on the shoe question. Ask around, even the faculty, to learn how others have solved this problem. And good luck!

Last edited:
Bump it up a notch and get Rockports.

Easy on your feet and long lasting, and they make dressy/Oxford styles.

NANP™

+1 on Rockports. That is what I have been wearing for years. If you catch a sale, you could even get them in your price range.

Another trick is to check the clearance rack at very expensive shoe stores. When they want to get rid of something, they want it out fast, so they mark it low. The local Johnson and Murphy store often has $50 and $60 clearances, for shoes that are well over $100 reatail.

Dave

Bump it up a notch and get Rockports.

Easy on your feet and long lasting, and they make dressy/Oxford styles.

NANP™

+1 on Rockports and (improbably enough) you can get them online from zappos.com . The Zappos experience is remarkably convenient and painless and particularly worthwhile if you don't have much in the way of transportation or worthwhile retailers nearby.

- Chris

Marshalls has Deerstags for about $30 or so a pair. Buy two pair and alternate. I work in a warehouse with concrete floors and the shoes are very comfortable. They have rubber soles and leather uppers, I am currently wearing the plain toe and I saw they have a cap toe. I also like the Rockports and there may be a outlet store in your area.

Clarks makes great shoes and you can find them on clearance at Marshalls now and then as well. They are the most comfortable casual dress shoes I have ever owned, I actually have 2 pairs now. Bought 1 pair at DSW for $80 and got another pair at Marshall's for $30.00 :biggrin:

They are also available on zappos.com

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I love my Eccos, but they are not what I call dress shoes and they cost about three times the budgeted amount. I think Marshal's is your best bet. You may have to make several visits as the stock changes, but you should be able to find something that will get you by for sixty bucks.

Ecco makes dress shoes & they can be obtained for less than $100 if you shop around and online. I have bought a few pairs that way and wear them to work every day while my Rockports gather dust. Compared to Ecco, other brands' shoes are just too heavy, clunky, or stiff. Great shoes.

Top Bottom