What's new

Everyday Shaving Stinger

New tool arrived this afternoon. Will suspend the Chinese blade research for a couple of days to check it out. First reaction, as Commander Spock would say, Interesting. Very light, 1.4 Oz or 40g. I prefer more heft but it is comfortable in the hand with plenty of affordances across the handle that I don't think grip is going to be an issue. I was a little puzzled by th 2 different sides of the handle then realized you could tell which side of the razor you're using without looking. One side has 0 blade exposure and .66 blade gap. The other side has 0.1524 exposure and 0.762 gap. It is a two piece with the top held on by 🧲. The blade is solid with 4 posts at the corners and the magnets holding solidly in place. I'll post more after the maiden voyage tonight.

Attachments

• 20240106_144426.jpg
    20240106_144426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 229
  • 20240106_144445.jpg
    20240106_144445.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 223
  • 20240106_144645.jpg
    20240106_144645.jpg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 20240106_144809.jpg
    20240106_144809.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 20240106_144855.jpg
    20240106_144855.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 20240106_144920.jpg
    20240106_144920.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 202
Pretty impressed with the first shave. I just let the razor shave, with no pressure at all. The first two passes with the "wild" side and the third pass with the "Mild" side. Had to remind myself to just use one side at a time as the two sides are really different. Not like the hybrids I've used, the blade feels different on each side. You know the blade is there in a confident but not threatening way. I like my R41 and Yaqi Top Aggressive so it was okay by me, but I think it would be a great introduction to someone wanting to try a more aggressive razor. On the other hand, the mild side had me wondering if the blade had disappeared. Even with that, the third pass cut hair just fine. The next shave will be just the mild side to see what it does. I was surprised by the quality of the shave, This puppy is very light and I just let its weight do the chopping - and it did. Almost, but not quite a BBS or DFS+ with no work on my part. I am a "one and done" with the Treet Carbons, so the next adventure was removing the blade (did I mention the magnets are really strong). So I tried multiple approaches. You can peel to top off from one side, you can pop it by pulling up on both sides (there are finger shelves for that purpose), you can even roll the top off long ways, they all work. I don't know what alien technology is involved but the blade always stayed with the base even though the top also has magnets. While I was experimenting, once the blade was in the 4 posts, the top always snapped into the correct position, it seems idiot proof, then again I am sure i haven't met every idiot....

Pretty impressed with the first shave. I just let the razor shave, with no pressure at all. The first two passes with the "wild" side and the third pass with the "Mild" side. Had to remind myself to just use one side at a time as the two sides are really different. Not like the hybrids I've used, the blade feels different on each side. You know the blade is there in a confident but not threatening way. I like my R41 and Yaqi Top Aggressive so it was okay by me, but I think it would be a great introduction to someone wanting to try a more aggressive razor. On the other hand, the mild side had me wondering if the blade had disappeared. Even with that, the third pass cut hair just fine. The next shave will be just the mild side to see what it does. I was surprised by the quality of the shave, This puppy is very light and I just let its weight do the chopping - and it did. Almost, but not quite a BBS or DFS+ with no work on my part. I am a "one and done" with the Treet Carbons, so the next adventure was removing the blade (did I mention the magnets are really strong). So I tried multiple approaches. You can peel to top off from one side, you can pop it by pulling up on both sides (there are finger shelves for that purpose), you can even roll the top off long ways, they all work. I don't know what alien technology is involved but the blade always stayed with the base even though the top also has magnets. While I was experimenting, once the blade was in the 4 posts, the top always snapped into the correct position, it seems idiot proof, then again I am sure i haven't met every idiot....
I notice when I put my kitchen knives back on my magnetic holder, my stainless knives attach in reasonable fashion, but my carbon knives want to slap into those magnets hard.

Could be that razor's blade-holding magnets were selected on the reasonable presumption of stainless steel.

I notice when I put my kitchen knives back on my magnetic holder, my stainless knives attach in reasonable fashion, but my carbon knives want to slap into those magnets hard.

Could be that razor's blade-holding magnets were selected on the reasonable presumption of stainless steel.
Spot on! Switched to an Astra Premium Plat and the pull from the magnets was maybe half (though still strong) than what they exerted on the Treet Carbon.

Loaded an Astra Premium Plat and did another 3 passes last night. Chose to use just the "wild" side. Also over compensated for the lightness of the razor with a little pressure. No blood but some rash in touch-up areas. 14 hours later can barely feel stubble. I find Astra Premiums do better on the second shave, so I'll see what happens tonight. At $75 with stand included, this has the potential to be one of the best values in the collection right now. The right blade and using the right side at the right time have promise.

Had an aha moment. Charcoal Goods had a razor called the Everyday Razor just before Brian closed down. The blade positioning posts were on the plate instead of the cap just as they are on this one (ATT did something similar too). Also, posts did not pass through cap or base (depending on design) as in most razors, but into machined depressions as in this razor. The overall head design and the cap in particular look similar (identical). I am wondering if this is a new generation of Charcoal Goods now.

Last edited:
Spot on! Switched to an Astra Premium Plat and the pull from the magnets was maybe half (though still strong) than what they exerted on the Treet Carbon.
Sir, if you end up feeding the Stinger a Treet Durasharp, I'd love to hear how it behaves with those magnets. I have not been able to discover with certainty whether or not it is stainless or carbon.

Only if it is no inconvenience to you, of course :)

I have not been able to discover with certainty whether or not it is stainless or carbon.
I accidentally posted that I didn't believe it was carbon steel after an attempt to forcibly rust a used one, I was wrong. I left the blade laying around for a couple months and it's got rust spots. They are incredibly rust resistance for their three shave life span and I believe their somewhat short lifespan adds to the evidence that they are carbon steel.

I accidentally posted that I didn't believe it was carbon steel after an attempt to forcibly rust a used one, I was wrong. I left the blade laying around for a couple months and it's got rust spots. They are incredibly rust resistance for their three shave life span and I believe their somewhat short lifespan adds to the evidence that they are carbon steel.
Interesting, thank you for this! I personally am leaning to carbon myself.

Sir, if you end up feeding the Stinger a Treet Durasharp, I'd love to hear how it behaves with those magnets. I have not been able to discover with certainty whether or not it is stainless or carbon.

Only if it is no inconvenience to you, of course :)
It's definitely carbon... now to see the doctor to get my arm put back in the shoulder... did I mention how powerful these magnets are? :)

The second shave with Astra Platinum was great. Seems like they need one or two shaves to smooth out the coating. Anyway, my usual protocol is to slowly move up the sharpness ladder to find the right blade/razor combination. Having so much fun with this razor I figured what the heck go for the gold and load a Feather... rut roh... which surprised me as the Treet Carbon had no issues at all. Part of the problem is me (I used the wild side for all three passes). I wonder if the magnetic hold differences between carb and stainless is an issue. Maybe something else. Anyway, going to do a couple more Feather shaves with mild/wild variations.

I was skeptical about the handle but I am really digging it the more I use it. Pretty sure it is going into the rotation.

Just ran into this razor today for the first time. I googled something shaving related and it popped up on my feed with a link to purchase (I haven't bought one). Very interesting razor!
The High Proof & Mag T razors also use magnets. Makes me wonder if we'll see more razors with that design element. It's definitely smart!
I'll be following this thread!

Okay, feathers and the ES Stinger don't seem to be match made in heaven. Great shave, BBS quality till Dr. Alum shared his opinion 😱 . Three passes wild side or three passes mild side or mixed are all great shaves till the alum. Weird to me as the Treet Carbon did so well. Future blade geometry research me thinks. Next up the Sunekos

Just ran into this razor today for the first time. I googled something shaving related and it popped up on my feed with a link to purchase (I haven't bought one). Very interesting razor!
The High Proof & Mag T razors also use magnets. Makes me wonder if we'll see more razors with that design element. It's definitely smart!
I'll be following this thread!
The Hype X1 also uses magnets.

Had an aha moment. Charcoal Goods had a razor called the Everyday Razor just before Brian closed down. The blade positioning posts were on the plate instead of the cap just as they are on this one (ATT did something similar too). Also, posts did not pass through cap or base (depending on design) as in most razors, but into machined depressions as in this razor. The overall head design and the cap in particular look similar (identical). I am wondering if this is a new generation of Charcoal Goods now.
Right. I believe the “Everyday” was the official nickname for one of the CG baseplate levels. Moreover, Stinger was one of the CG handle options. Here’s mine:
IMG_2302.jpeg

img_2304-jpeg.1778483

The Everyday Shaving Stinger handle seems to have a similar hexagon design.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.jpeg
    IMG_2304.jpeg
    942.9 KB · Views: 970
Top Bottom