What's new

Eversharp Schick Injector Razor / Wore Down Stop?

I just picked up an Eversharp Schick Injector Razor Type G at a local antique mall today. I don't have pics yet to post.... nor do I have any injector blades to put in it to try it out. An old rusty blade was already in it and I noticed that the gap was a little crooked and that the old blade was "over" the stop farthest away from the key insertion point, rather than behind it. After removing the old blade by pushing it with the tip of my mechnical pencil, I noticed that the stop appears to be a little wore down. Is this a common problem with these types of razors? Is it likely to be a problem or am I worrying for nothing? Sorry, I'm being impatient today.... I would just wait until my injector blades arrive but that will be days from now. Thanks.

Ben

Call around to some of the smaller pharmacies in your local area as many will carry the Schick injector blades. I know the one at the end of the street here does.

Call around to some of the smaller pharmacies in your local area as many will carry the Schick injector blades. I know the one at the end of the street here does.

Yeah, you're always walking by that local shave shop of your's that always seems to have Penhaligon's and Floris stuff for 75% off or something too. :laugh:

Seriously, thanks for the tip. I'll check my CVS and Rite Aid and see what they have. :thumbup:

Ben

Yeah, you're always walking by that local shave shop of your's that always seems to have Penhaligon's and Floris stuff for 75% off or something too. :laugh:

Seriously, thanks for the tip. I'll check my CVS and Rite Aid and see what they have. :thumbup:

Ben

CVS and Rite-Aid won't have injector blades (neither will walgreens), only SE and DE blades. I can tell you that already

You need to find a local mom and pop pharmacy.

Go to the phone book and call them all. One is bound to stock injector blades

CVS and Rite-Aid won't have injector blades (neither will walgreens), only SE and DE blades. I can tell you that already

You need to find a local mom and pop pharmacy.

Go to the phone book and call them all. One is bound to stock injector blades
I actually found some Persona injector blades at a local larger Post Exchange (PX). They were repackaged without a real identifying name but they were in the cheapo plastic blade dispenser that Persona is known for. Other smaller PX stores didn't carry them.

To get the maximum enjoyment and best shave, I suggest finding some NOS Schick or Persona blades. They're so much better it's not funny.

Worn stops on injector G razors is not a commonly discussed issue. Maybe it was dropped and damaged.

Its usually best to remove an old injector blade by inserting a new one. Inserting a new blade in an empty injector razor head can possibly damage the blade if it rubs against the post.

Try shaving with it...the best test for damage or misalignment.

Worn stops on injector G razors is not a commonly discussed issue. Maybe it was dropped and damaged.

Its usually best to remove an old injector blade by inserting a new one. Inserting a new blade in an empty injector razor head can possibly damage the blade if it rubs against the post.

Try shaving with it...the best test for damage or misalignment.

Thanks for the info. The more I think about it, I bet it got dropped with the blade in it and damaged. I'm waiting on an order of Schick Injector Blades, so it will be a few days before I can insert a new blade and see how it shaves. I'm afraid that with the stop wore down, the spring will push the blade beyond where it is supposed to be and the blade will essentially be crooked. What a shame if it doesn't shave well. I cleaned it up and it's nearly perfect other than the one stop being smooshed. Oh well.... it only cost me $4 and the case is in decent shape. I really like the look of these G's though. If this one doesn't work out I may have to find a look alike that does work.

Ben

The funny things you notice:

proxy.php

See the streak on the left hand side of the head over the patent numbers? This photo is from a picture of one I just found on the web, but mine has the same streak, and I've noticed photos of others with the same streak. I figure that there must be something to it, but I've never used one so I don't know what it's from. The other thing I noticed about these, is that even after a soapy bath, a wipe down with rubbing alcohol, and a going over with toothpaste and a toothbrush..... the handle seems to stink. I don't know if it's the material (bakelite I assume) that it's made of, or what. Or will it go away? It smells like bacterial rot. Rank. It looks fine though.

Ben

Couple of things:

If the blade seems off, just stick the key back in and the head will release. You may be able to position the blade better then just remove the key and the head will drop back down. Might need to fiddle a little but worth it if the razor is damaged

The smell is the petroleum base that Bakelite is made from. That is normal. It was brought out by heat and your cleaning supplies and will go away (eventually).

The streak/line is from the spring being moved so that the head can be opened. Also normal except on razors that have not had the head seperated

I saw the streak on what I believe was a NOS g-model. It is not easy to open a g model and harder to close it without damage. My guess is that streak was introduced while the razor was first assembled. It is not much of a scratch rathere different oxidation on the plating, could be thar the plating or other plating/coating was disturbed in the assembly process. That streak should clean almost completely with some MAAS.

I saw the streak on what I believe was a NOS g-model. It is not easy to open a g model and harder to close it without damage. My guess is that streak was introduced while the razor was first assembled. It is not much of a scratch rathere different oxidation on the plating, could be thar the plating or other plating/coating was disturbed in the assembly process. That streak should clean almost completely with some MAAS.

Now I think I see it. I think you are right. It's probably from when they assembled it and rotated the spring up to under the head. What are these plated with? Or are they plated? Is it gold plating on brass or is it just solid brass? I was tenative about using MAAS on it to clean it up..... but maybe it's okay to use MAAS?

Ben

Any theories on the "stinky handle"? Can the handle material absorb the soap scummy smell over the years and take a while to air out so to speak, once it's been cleaned? (I think I'm going to douse it with Lysol this evening).

Ben

... I don't know if it's the material (bakelite I assume) that it's made of, or what. Or will it go away? It smells like bacterial rot. Rank. It looks fine though.

Ben

The smell is the petroleum base that Bakelite is made from. That is normal. It was brought out by heat and your cleaning supplies and will go away (eventually).

The streak/line is from the spring being moved so that the head can be opened. Also normal except on razors that have not had the head seperated

All the pics you have shown - and I guess aren't yours - are type Gs and have a modern, plastic handle. They are not bakelite and can be readily identified by the seam running down the middle. Also, simichrome polish will not turn from it's pink color to brown/tan/yellow. In addition, the smell from warmed up bakelite is from the phenolic chemical, not petroleum.

Bakelite was a purely synthetic material, not derived from living matter.

Seems like I have had one or two injectors that have worn stops, mostly Gems or Everyreadys though - I keep them in a parts bin for some reason. Now you know the lesson that when you examine a razor that depends on stops, to eyeball it or at the minimum run your finger over it. Catch your fingernail on it. Should be a nice, defined edge feel to it. Online is hit and miss.

-jim

Thanks guys. Mick, I missed your post earlier today while I was in the middle of posting the pics. So, whatever the handle is made of (bakelite or plastic), it sounds like others have experienced the nasty smell and that it goes away eventually. As far as the stop, it sounds like I will just have to put a blade in (when I get them) and see if it "stops it" and keeps the blade aligned properly. I suppose in theory you can swap the bases out by prying up and rotating the spring.... but it looks like a good way to damage or overstress the spring to me..... and given how inexpensive these are it's probably not worth the trouble.

Ben

Any theories on the "stinky handle"? Can the handle material absorb the soap scummy smell over the years and take a while to air out so to speak, once it's been cleaned? (I think I'm going to douse it with Lysol this evening).

Ben

No ideas, but the only person that knows where it came from is the person that sold it to you. Maybe it sat in a moldy basement for years. Not in the mold, but just exposed to the nasty air. Like an old book. I've been in some basements that after spending 10 minutes in you feel like you will never be the same again.

Leave it sit in some soapy water for a couple of days and see if that doesn't help.

-jim

Top Bottom