What's new

Ever-Ready 1912 - steep learning curve

Just bought a Ever-Ready 1912 from the 1930s and a pack of GEM single edge blades (for shaving, not scraping paint). The razor is in great shape. After loading the razor with a GEM blade (as per several You Tube videos), I started shaving with it. As per the videos, the best angle for shaving is far different than a DE razor or a Schick injector. The first shave was good. The razor very efficiently shaved my cheeks and did a decent job on the neck. Don't have to shave the lip and chin because I have a goatee. No nicks. This morning I shaved for the third time with the GEM blade.. Still no nicks, but a pretty rough shave with some irritation on the neck for the first time. Shaving the neck is harder than shaving the cheeks. I'm not prone to irritation. My prior shaves were with a Schick G-1, which shaved wonderfully. Is it time to replace the blade after 3 shaves? Is my technique (holding the head flat to my face) not good? Neat razor, but I will retire it to the collection box if things don't improve with the 4th shave.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It could be a dead blade after just 3 shaves, but I doubt it. Give it another shot after a really good prep and it may surprise you!

The last Gem/Personna PTFE blade I used went fourteen shaves. That may be extreme since I do shave around my beard so there is less skin exposed to shave. It is probably the angle. Bad blades do happen, though.

Thanks for the replies. I'll go back to my G-1 for some shaves to let my neck recover and then try the Ever-Ready again. It's a cool design so I hate to just retire it to the collection.

Just bought a Ever-Ready 1912 from the 1930s and a pack of GEM single edge blades (for shaving, not scraping paint). The razor is in great shape. After loading the razor with a GEM blade (as per several You Tube videos), I started shaving with it. As per the videos, the best angle for shaving is far different than a DE razor or a Schick injector. The first shave was good. The razor very efficiently shaved my cheeks and did a decent job on the neck. Don't have to shave the lip and chin because I have a goatee. No nicks. This morning I shaved for the third time with the GEM blade.. Still no nicks, but a pretty rough shave with some irritation on the neck for the first time. Shaving the neck is harder than shaving the cheeks. I'm not prone to irritation. My prior shaves were with a Schick G-1, which shaved wonderfully. Is it time to replace the blade after 3 shaves? Is my technique (holding the head flat to my face) not good? Neat razor, but I will retire it to the collection box if things don't improve with the 4th shave.

Zero pressure and short strokes at a slightly shallow angle. Find that smooth angle anywhere between cap flush against the skin to around 25 degrees..

Just go shallow and light and all will be well. Skin stretching might also be employed for certain parts of the neck if necessary. For me the PFTE coated blades last way longer than 3 shaves. If you got an uncoated stainless blade, it might dull a lot more quickly.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Could be the blade. I've shaved Gemish for a fair amount of time and I find in most Gemish razors I can get about five shaves on a blade. The first two are pretty sharp, but very smooth. The next two are very smooth and comfy; best in the blade.

In most vintage Gem razors plus the ATT G1 the fifth shave is OK but just rough enough to remind me that it ain't gonna get any better next time. Mrs. Hippie gets a new loaf slasher. I discovered that the Blackland Sabre will eke out that sixth shave with reasonable comfort. I was amused to do the math:

Five shaves per blade: 10 cents a shave.
Six shaves per blade: 8.33 cents a shave.
Difference: 1.66 cents a shave.

Blackland Sabre L1+L2: $250

Saving 1.66 cents on every shave by stretching it out with the Sabre is a lovely way to save money. I calculate that at my current rate of shaving it will take exactly 100 years to earn my free razor (and only if I shave Gem exclusively for that time).

Check with me again in 2121. I should be ready to try another razor for a while by then.

The point above about vintage 1912s and the ATT G1 is that they're all pretty mild shavers. Too mild for my preference but fun sometimes. Being that mild to me means the blade has to have a pretty fresh edge to get near as close as I'd like. That edge is basically gone for me after the first three shaves.

O.H.

Some good suggestions. Thank you. When the irritation on my neck heals, I'll give the Ever-Ready another try. I own a lot of razors. Double edge (open and closed combs) and single edge (various Schick injectors and Parker injector). The Ever-ready is the most ornery one I've ever used. I don't regret buying it. If I hadn't taken a chance on a supermarket DE razor several years ago, I never would have gotten into wet shaving again.

My first shaves with the Gems weren't stellar. I would cut myself, mostly on the across the grain pass. Until I got the hang of it I used to use an injector for that pass. Once you catch on you are in for some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Getting the feel of the razor is a little different because it mocks a straight razor and ASR corp(Star,Gem, Everready...) made their short wedge blade concept into a safety razor so a person's technique is a little different than a DE razor. Star(Kampfe brothers Brooklyn NY) was the first MFG of a safety razors in the USA & was approx 25 years before Gillette produced there first razor.

A lot of the razor literature pamphlets has been lost over the decades so I have some if it helps you & others. The Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is the one I like and is very sharp, smooths out nicely over times with good longevity. If your blade rusts you have a carbon blade and they are great for about 5 shaves unless you strop them. I'm not into Stropping so I just buy the Stainless steel coated blades and they are excellent blade, very sharp and smooths out nicely with great longevity.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!......
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg
photo chart that gives a person a ball park opinion!

My first few shaves with the GEM were terrible haha, but got the hang of it. It was a lot different than I thought compared to a DE. I've really come to like the GEM.

I have recently come across a few duds when it came to blades though unfortunately. Had a rough shave with one, changed out the blade, and noticed there was an imperfection in the edge of the new blade, so tossed that one too. The third blade was also slightly scratchy. A good blade feels great, and I can get almost 2 weeks out of it. You can't pay me to use one of the carbon steel ones though. I'll take sandpaper over one of those, though I know some people swear by them.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The Ever-ready is the most ornery one I've ever used.

I've heard -- and had some experience with it personally -- that the Ever Ready (and Star) were a bit more aggressive than Gem razors even though they all came out of the same company. My 1914 ER is even more aggressive than my Gem MMOC. My Gem Jr. Bar lather catcher is smoother but not quite as aggressive as my Star lather catcher.

O.H.

Getting the feel of the razor is a little different because it mocks a straight razor and ASR corp(Star,Gem, Everready...) made their short wedge blade concept into a safety razor so a person's technique is a little different than a DE razor. Star(Kampfe brothers Brooklyn NY) was the first MFG of a safety razors in the USA & was approx 25 years before Gillette produced there first razor.

A lot of the razor literature pamphlets has been lost over the decades so I have some if it helps you & others. The Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is the one I like and is very sharp, smooths out nicely over times with good longevity. If your blade rusts you have a carbon blade and they are great for about 5 shaves unless you strop them. I'm not into Stropping so I just buy the Stainless steel coated blades and they are excellent blade, very sharp and smooths out nicely with great longevity.
View attachment 1211995 View attachment 1211996 View attachment 1211997 View attachment 1211998
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!......View attachment 1212003 photo chart that gives a person a ball park opinion!
Many thanks for attaching these pamphlets. Wonderful that you have preserved and circulated them. After the irritation on my neck is better, I will give the Ever-Ready another chance. I also may buy some Personna blades in case my GEM blades are defective.

Took me some practice, I started with Gems and tried the ER . For some reason it was pure shaving gold. Going to have to out it back in rotation. Still have a little lather catcher to try as well. Practice, once it clicks it's all good.

The 1912 line is overall pretty forgiving for me but I do have a brass Gem that is very particular about angle and pressure. Looking at what you have been using, I will join in the chorus that says angle is the key to your improvement. I know that when I transition to SE's after a spell with DE, the first 2-3 days involve some adjusting to get the best result. Others have given you the documentation on the recommended technique- not quite riding the cap, but also not 30 degrees. Given some more time, it will come. Those old razors will deliver a surprisingly good shave. The fact that your cheeks are good is a good sign that you are not far off.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm shaving for a few days with one of my vintage DE razors and then will give the Ever Ready another try. Hate to give up on such a cool razor.

I have not noticed a difference between my GEM 1912s and Ever-Ready Lather Catcher/1914 LLC as far as aggressiveness (I won't include the 1924 as I haven't dialed it in yet), but I found the 1912 to be very user friendly and easier to use than a MicroMatic. I agree with the others that the blade is most likely the culprit, and it's probably a carbon blade which seem to be good for 5 or so shaves. Most here recommend the Stainless PTFE blades, which I haven't not used yet, so I can't comment on them. Itching to use a new 1912, but out of blades, I have used "paint scraper" blades from Lowes. Okay, I'll add the "don't try this at home disclaimer," and most would cringe, but as long as they are sharp, you can still shave with them. A good resource for tips on how to use a 1912, recommend finding "Shaving with Fuzzy" channel on Youtube--he's a staunch SE razor advocate (as well as Williams Mug Soap), but you'll learn a lot of SE shaving and "life" lessons.

The 1912 models are my least favorite of my ASR SE razors (I have both a GEM Damaskeene and an ER).

I don't hate them but I'd definitely grab my Clog Pruf, MMOC, Featherweight, or Junior w/ baton handle first.

I have found I like them better with an older GEM blade (3-4 previous runs). I do similar with my MMOC.

View attachment 1211995 View attachment 1211996 View attachment 1211997 View attachment 1211998
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!......View attachment 1212003 photo chart that gives a person a ball park opinion!
Many thanks for this post and all the others. I had the best shave this morning with my 1912 after a couple of changes. First, I shimmed the GEM blade with a piece of plastic tape to simulate the thicker blades used in the 1930s. Second, I shaved using a much shallower angle than before. The 1912 is a cool razor, but you need to experiment a bit to get a good shave.

Top Bottom