What's new

Escher Label Q.

I have two Eschers:

IMG-5387.jpg

They're both the same kind of stone - 'late period blue' is what I believe it's known as, but the labels have slightly different wording. The larger (6x1.25) calls itself The Genuine Water Razor Hone and imparts a longlasting fine edge to every razor:

IMG-5382.jpg

The smaller (5x1) is merely The Genuine Water Hone and imparts a longlasting fine edge to every blade:

IMG-5383.jpg

Does anyone know if there's a difference? Was a distinction made for finer stones that were more suited to razors, as opposed to general purpose stones? It can't have been a size thing, as you'd have thought the smaller stone would be the razor one (?)

Both of them fwiw give me a very good razor edge - they seem basically identical. Though I’ve not tried side by side yet, to see if I can tell any minute difference.

(Excuse me for tagging you @hatzicho , but if anyone might know the answer I expect you'd be the man!)

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
As far as I know, they are the same thing. Rather than the small one being marketed towards razors, it was more marketed towards pen knives, scalpels, engravers tools, etc. Honing a razor on a 5x1" stone is tricky, and takes a bit of practice, but a pocket knife is easy on that size. I'd say they are the same thing.

As far as I know, they are the same thing. Rather than the small one being marketed towards razors, it was more marketed towards pen knives, scalpels, engravers tools, etc. Honing a razor on a 5x1" stone is tricky, and takes a bit of practice, but a pocket knife is easy on that size. I'd say they are the same thing.

Aha! After I typed that post it struck me that might be another possibility. Like lots of the little Tams, Arks, &c. that were for various other small blades and instruments.

I’m pretty certain these two are effectively identical, but was just interested to check, in case anyone thought otherwise.

Legion is correct on that! Normally the razor hones were typically at least 6 inches long. The also very often sold penknife hones were usually 4.5 x 1.2 inches. So the 5'' hones in between had been generally for useage to all knifes and tools and also as a (cheaper) compromise to razor hones.
Regards Peter

Legion is correct on that! Normally the razor hones were typically at least 6 inches long. The also very often sold penknife hones were usually 4.5 x 1.2 inches. So the 5'' hones in between had been generally for useage to all knifes and tools and also as a (cheaper) compromise to razor hones.
Regards Peter

Many thanks Peter - good to know!

Top Bottom