What's new

eradicating stench from ever ready handle

OK, I know this has been discussed before, and I've followed the threads, but I still haven't achieved success. I have an old Ever Ready 150 handle from which I've removed the old knot. The thing smelled awful from the moment I got it-- a moldy, cheesy, nauseating, penetrating stench that I now wish I'd never inhaled. Reading up on the forum here, I tried cleaning, sanding, removing all traces of the old knot and glue, sanding off all the old residue, etc etc., but of course, the horrid smell remained. I've soaked this thing in white vinegar for 3 days, and though that has helped to a certain degree, this thing still isn't smelling like a rose. It's better after the vinegar, but not good enough.

What else can I do? If I can't fully remove the old foul odor by soaking in vinegar, is there a way to cover the old smell with something more fragrant? I'd really like to get this thing smelling neutral or good before I put a knot in it.

Maybe sunlight? Leave it on a window sill or in some other dry, sunny, well-ventilated spot. It might take a few days.

Or you could try burying it in baking soda for a couple of days.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Part of it (I think, if I recall correctly) the material itself smells awful when you sand it.

Try soaking it in a 3:1 solution of water and RealLemon juice for a while and see if that doesn't help.

Thanks for the tips. I will leave it out in the sunlight today and see if that helps (doubtful, but worth a try). If that doesn't work, it's water and RealLemon over night tonight! Am still open to other suggestions, of course.

UPDATE THE NEXT DAY: I left the handle soaking in a solution of 3:1 RealLemon. I don't know if there is such a thing as 'lemon cheese,' but that's what the handle smells like now. Oh well... maybe it'll just dissipate eventually....

Last edited:
Top Bottom