What's new

Anyone try soaking a vintage brush in water to remove the knot?

I've had mixed luck with either steaming a vintage brush to loosen the knot or using a knife, drill, etc. to remove an old knot. Combination of bad luck with steaming and not the highest tool using skills on my part. I recently bought 4 vintage Ever Ready brushes on the "Bay and decided to put them in a large jar of water and let them soak to see if the knots loosen. I have 8 other brushes in my rotation, so I can wait a long time to see if the knots loosen. After about 2 weeks, the knots still weren't removable, so back in the water the brushes went. Anyone else have experience with soaking the knots loose? I'll report my progress.

I have wetted them as part of the removal process. It never loosened them for me.

My process:
Wrap tape around the remaining old knot, close to the base.

Cut knot off below the tape and discard. An old Gem blade works great.

Hold the brush with a glove or towel.

Use a cheap U-shaped carving gouge (craft store or Harbor Freight) to cut out the hair and glue of the base of the knot. Power tools are just asking for trouble.

Start at the center. Use care as you get to the edges. Never pry against the handle walls, just cut straight down.

It is nice to have several sizes of gouge.
745D61A6-DD4F-46E0-9D85-0A333480772B.jpeg

I have wetted them as part of the removal process. It never loosened them for me.

My process:
Wrap tape around the remaining old knot, close to the base.

Cut knot off below the tape and discard. An old Gem blade works great.

Hold the brush with a glove or towel.

Use a cheap U-shaped carving gouge (craft store or Harbor Freight) to cut out the hair and glue of the base of the knot. Power tools are just asking for trouble.

Start at the center. Use care as you get to the edges. Never pry against the handle walls, just cut straight down.

It is nice to have several sizes of gouge.
View attachment 1484538
Many thanks for the tips. The expertise of you and other folks on B & B never ceases to amaze me. I'm going to buy some carving gouges and get to work.

Top Bottom