What's new

Enjoying the Gem

I acquired an MMOC a few months back, and totally enjoying the shave experience that I get with it. I also have a Flying Wing (bullet tip) that I have been working with. So far, not so great but is getting better as I adjust my technique. I just purchased a 1912 off that auction site, and should take possesion in a few days. I'm using the Personna PTFE blades. What can I expect with this new razor? Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
@Ron R has an excellent chart describing his experience with the various GEM (and GEM-related) razors....you can find it and great info on this thread Gem Razor Models. Ron is extremely knowledgeable on these razors. My experience with the 1912s that I have is somewhat inconsistent. That is to say that some of my 1912s are smoother/milder than others....so please take my general comparison comment with that caveat. In general, my 1912s are slightly less smooth but probably (roughly) as efficient than my MMOC, and both of those razors are slightly more efficient than my Flying Wing (MMBT), but not quite as smooth as it (the MMBT).

Honestly, as my technique has improved, I'm having a harder and harder time discerning vast differences between my GEM razors. I can tell a difference, but most of the time it's a relatively close thing, not a huge difference. For example, I think the weight and the way the blade is secured in the MMOC makes it a smoother shaver for me than say one of my VERY user-grade 1912s. Is it a weight difference, or perhaps my top cap spring isn't as tight on the 1912 as it could be? Probably a little of both...and maybe there's a difference in blade gap and exposure, but I haven't introduced that much science into my analysis (I wish I had the smarts and the time to do that, it would be interesting and helpful). Either way, they are both great razors, and I reach for them without hesitation. There is enough "smoothness" difference to me that if I were going to pick a daily driver, I'd probably choose the MMBT over the MMOC.

I should be a politician -- a long answer that probably didn't answer the question, but "sort of" made me sound smart -- emphasis on the "sort of". :laugh: Seriously, we've got a big brain-trust built on these razors, and one of those guys will be along shortly. I just try to stall and entertain until they show up.....don't forget to tip your waiter!!!

Last edited:
M

Member 113878

Are you both of you stropping your blades?
Just curious because I'll be getting my very first GEM soon.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think @Flintstone65 (Fred) summed it pretty much, I really like the GEM 1912 razors and they sold millions of them because they were just that great a razor. My favorite is a newer model the Gem junior 1912 parade(MFG 1938) with the baton taper handle, they designed it with rounder corners on the base plate and seems a little smoother with great results IMO.
Any 1912 whether it be a GEM, Everready or Star (All part of American Safety Razor corp or A.S.R) will give a excellent shave with good hand technique. I do not look for a BBS shave all the time and the 1912 can deliver one with a 3 pass with a touch up pass no problem with good technique if that is what you desire. My 2 pass shave with a clean up(1st WTG + 2nd ATG + clean up passes) will give my pinnacle shave of CCS,DFS,BBS range and I'm one happy person for the day. I have 3 GEM 1912 models and they are part of my large razor rotation.(1912 refers to near perfect GEM 1912-15 Damaskeene open comb razor, patented the first true model 1912 were small improvements were done over many years.)

(Gem 1912-MFG 1921 art deco handle & Gem junior Parade 1912-MFG 1938 baton handle)
Comparing Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) To Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (2).jpg

Below is the True 1912 Damaskeene open comb that is hard to find, I lucked out finding this one.
Damaskeene OC 1912-15(2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Are you both of you stropping your blades?
Just curious because I'll be getting my very first GEM soon.
No -- I keep saying I'm going to try it, but then I either put the blade in a mild razor (in my case that's the Gem Feather Weight) or I tough out the first shave and take my subsequent bleeders and potential irritation like a man. :a20:

I do want to give it a try (I assume were talking about palm stropping).

Flintstone65

@Flintstone65 and @Ron R , thank you guys so much for the very informative replies. I'm looking forward to testing out the new Gem more than ever now!
Let us know how you like it -- and I'm not sure if you know about this thread: Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday)
A bunch of us (pretty) regularly get together to share our Gem (or really any ASR razor -- Ever Ready, Start, Treet) Monday shave...please join us -- if you haven't already....I'm sort of bouncing around several different threads and I apologize if you've posted there and I missed it.

Well, my 1912 arrived Tuesday afternoon, and I just had to try it out later that evening before my 24 hour shift began early today. I installed a new Personna Gem PTFE blade, lathered up with Pre de Provence utilizing my Stanley badger. Followed up with some Thayers, then some Lucky Tiger. The results?? WOW!! What a nice comfortable shave it was, with 2 passes and some minor touch-ups. I didn't find it as efficient as my MMOC, but it was darn close! Very smooth with zero irritation. I'm pretty happy with my first shave using the new (to me) razor. I'm sure it will only get better as time goes by.

I've never stropped my blades and get excellent shaves. Just finished using my clog pruf with a personna stainless blade.

Flintstone65

Well, my 1912 arrived Tuesday afternoon, and I just had to try it out later that evening before my 24 hour shift began early today. I installed a new Personna Gem PTFE blade, lathered up with Pre de Provence utilizing my Stanley badger. Followed up with some Thayers, then some Lucky Tiger. The results?? WOW!! What a nice comfortable shave it was, with 2 passes and some minor touch-ups. I didn't find it as efficient as my MMOC, but it was darn close! Very smooth with zero irritation. I'm pretty happy with my first shave using the new (to me) razor. I'm sure it will only get better as time goes by.
That's great, congratulations!!!

Top Bottom