What's new

Endgame... The ATT SE1/Schick Proline Journal

2 minute drill with the SE1 today... 15 minute shower and shave this morning. No pre shave and only used the Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel. Definitely missed the pre shave and super lather, but it wasn't bad for a quick shave.

Switched back to VDH Deluxe for the past few shaves after using Pdp 63 for months and VDH is the clear winner. It could just be that VDH is softer and load easier, but it definitely protects my skin better for what I put my face through.

Switched back to VDH Deluxe for the past few shaves after using Pdp 63 for months and VDH is the clear winner. It could just be that VDH is softer and load easier, but it definitely protects my skin better for what I put my face through.
Protects as in cushion or face food or slick? I like both soaps, but haven't done any comparisions, and just wanting to make sure I know what you like about it so much.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Now you mention it, I havent used PdP for a while either. I switch between two Wickhams and CRS.

I'll have to use PdP again next shave.

Protects as in cushion or face food or slick? I like both soaps, but haven't done any comparisions, and just wanting to make sure I know what you like about it so much.

I BBS my face every shave and it takes x amount of strokes to complete. I only lather once and shave directly ATG. VDH seems to allow me to be more reckless, and while I always get miner sting from the AS, it seemed to be less with the VDH. I wasn't looking to compare the two, but noticed the difference the first time I used VDH again. My blade is almost done, fresh blade on the 1st will confirm. I'll try to use it for the February challenge, 28 shaves.

I used the big boy SE2 today with an aging Proline that spent it's time in the SE1, no sure how many shaves are on the blade. I have plenty of confidence with the SE2 but still have to go slower and use more care than with SE1. It was a no drama fantastic shave.

Shaved today after not shaving since Sunday, about shave 10 on the Proline, no problem directly ATG with the SE1.

I took the family on vacation for a few days and decided to leave the shave gear home.

Took this picture this morning at Fort Walton beach Florida with my phone camera.

FB_IMG_1567984990221.jpg

Last edited:
I was bored and bought a Hawk and an Eco. The Hawk with a Proline was meh, no match for my SS ATT SE1. I used the Hawk with my ATT Atlas handle.

The Eco was a different story. I also used it with the Atlas handle with an Astra SS blade. Stroke for stroke, it's efficiency rivaled that of my precious ATT SE1. I used it at a shallow angle like I use with GEM razors. It was very efficient and smooth.

I would probably buy this one in stainless steel if it was made.

I still prefer the wider AC blade(Proline) but the Eco will get use quite a bit, I still have a lot of DE blades, my wife won't switch to SE.

I'm not sure about the fate of the Hawk, it got the job done, but took more strokes than the Eco and SE1 to hit BBS.

My technique is...I lather once and shave ATG as many strokes needed to hit BBS.

The Eco performed great.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm surprised!

Is there any chance you post some pics showing the base plate, gap/exposure etc.? You know, the good stuff lol

I'm surprised!

Is there any chance you post some pics showing the base plate, gap/exposure etc.? You know, the good stuff lol
Ditto surprised. Thought I was done....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IMAG1255_1.jpg

First shave on a fresh blade is fine, shave 3, I think it's starting to chatter a little. The blade is held tight with the cap and baseplate, but it looks like there's too much blade left unsupported.

I'll take more pictures when I get a chance. Here it is on an IKon bulldog handle.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 1025695

First shave on a fresh blade is fine, shave 3, I think it's starting to chatter a little. The blade is held tight with the cap and baseplate, but it looks like there's too much blade left unsupported.

I'll take more pictures when I get a chance. Here it is on an IKon bulldog handle.

Thanks.

I can see it has generous blade exposure with some blade gap but, theres a lot of blade reveal. I can see the amount of blade exposed by the too narrow cap allowing that blade to move around quite a bit while shaving.

If you dont mind using DE blades, you might try a new Fatip with the wider cap. The blade would be much more stable.

Thanks.

I can see it has generous blade exposure with some blade gap but, theres a lot of blade reveal. I can see the amount of blade exposed by the too narrow cap allowing that blade to move around quite a bit while shaving.

If you dont mind using DE blades, you might try a new Fatip with the wider cap. The blade would be much more stable.

I see what they did, the blade reveal is about the same as the ATT SE1 and RR Hawk. They didn't factor in the thin DE blade.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They didn't factor in the thin DE blade.

Yep.

I got to thinking about the Hawk last night and you saying it was inefficient. I remembered the face of the SB was flat. That would make it pretty easy to take a few thousands of an inch off with a stone. The face with the red line on it.

RazoRock-Electric-Blue-HAWK-Single-Edge-Razor-Australia.jpg

I'm not sure how deep the anodizing would be but it would likely remove some or all of it. Doing that would increase the blade exposure. The top edge of the SB could even be rounded over a bit.

When I get around to ordering one, if I find the same as you do I may just try that.

@jmudrick

Modern shake sharp!

Update...

I shimmed the Eco under the blade for a quarter of my face and it felt much better. Then I decided to use both halves of the blade at the same time on the rest of my face.

Using both halves of the blade, it seemed like it took more strokes to hit BBS. I was able to go over areas as many times as I wanted to with no fear and apply pressure as well. There was absolutely no sting from the AS on the 3 quarters of my face that I used both halves. There was a little sting on the quarter of my face where I used the shim.

One of the halves had 3 shaves on it while the other half was fresh. I will be trying this with a fresh blade.

My last shave was on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom