What's new

Endgame... The ATT SE1/Schick Proline Journal

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ya think? Well I have Feather Pro and Super on hand, guess I can give them all a go.

Yep I do. If a blade tugs I think its either a lack of sharpness or a wrong blade coating for your hairs composition, or both. A Proline might be too much blade, the Kai mild not enough blade. Hopefully, your Goldilock zone lies between them.

Wickham soap will tame a blade quite a bit too. I never could have shaved as steeply or with as much pressure using my Grande without that soap.

Anthony is exploring the same pressure use scenario in his shaves with milder razors now. A soap like, say T&H 1805, that may leave you with razor burn, if you do the same shave with Wickham soap, that added slickness and protection defies description.

First pass N-S. As soon as the razor moved I knew was in for a nice shave. Slick beyond belief. Long, easy, full length strokes staying with a steep angle. By the time I was on my third stroke my pressure had doubled. I was shaving as steeply as I could and even felt the blade disengage when I tried to shave steeper. By the time I got to my left cheek I was pushing the razor into my cheek with enough force I felt the comb on my teeth lol. No issues.

Try it before you sell your SE2. You might be as surprised as @Cal and I both.

Yep I do. If a blade tugs I think its either a lack of sharpness or a wrong blade coating for your hairs composition, or both. A Proline might be too much blade, the Kai mild not enough blade. Hopefully, your Goldilock zone lies between them.

Wickham soap will tame a blade quite a bit too. I never could have shaved as steeply or with as much pressure using my Grande without that soap.

Anthony is exploring the same pressure use scenario in his shaves with milder razors now. A soap like, say T&H 1805, that may leave you with razor burn, if you do the same shave with Wickham soap, that added slickness and protection defies description.

Try it before you sell your SE2. You might be as surprised as @Cal and I both.
Ok I'm in :) .

The SE1/Proline provides a certain level of efficiency, the SE2/Proline provides a higher level of efficiency. Since I have both, it's learn the to use the SE2 with the Proline or let it go. Any lesser blade and I might as well use the SE1/Proline.

Try Wickham soap before you sell it, it might make the difference. It really is that good lol.

I learned it! I use it when the mood hits me... I haven't found anything better than my super lather but I will give it a try...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I learned it! I use it when the mood hits me... I haven't found anything better than my super lather but I will give it a try...

I've given up on super lathers, and honestly my other soaps too. Even as slick as PdP is, it doesnt compare to Wickhams. Wickhams will also last a long time. You dont need much product.

I'll still use my PdP, but its no longer my benchmark, either is Wholly Kaw for that matter.

First shave with the SE1 today with a fresh Proline blade since starting this thread, perfect as ever.

I had the RR Big Bruce and just received the regular Bruce. I think I like the smaller Bruce better for my one lather.

IMAG1035_1.jpg
IMAG1033_1.jpg

I loaded up the MMCP with a fresh blade, but could bring myself to use it. SE1/Proline prevailed... There's always the next shave...

Forced myself to use the GEM G bar today. The blade had several shaves on it. I shaved with it until there was no more feedback using all kinds of pressure, feeling around with a light touch from my fingers, I was BBS. But then I picked up the SE1 and basically shaved again with no lather and got all kinds of feedback. After feeling around with my fingers using considerable pressure, all stubble was gone this time.

After the extremely close shaves I get from the SE1 consistently, I can't bring myself to accept anything less.

The results from the G bar were BBS, no doubt about that, but it wouldn't have lasted that long.

I'm broken... :confused1

IMAG1040_1.jpg

Last edited:
IMAG1045_1_1.jpg

I used my Game Changer today...I mean my postwar Tech, made in England, with a fresh Feather and Ikon bulldog handle. Total weight was 93 grams. It performed better than I thought it would. Of course, I was applying all kinds of pressure but the results seemed close to the SE1. A sweep with the SE1 only found the not so close stubble in some areas. I was BBS when I finished with the Tech but I'm sure stubble would have broke skin sooner than what I'm use to, but I remedied that with the SE1 clean up.

I got the usual sting from the AS, but my skin feels dried out, normal from the Feather as I remember it.

I used my standard technique... Lather once and go to town directly ATG. It was about 29 hours growth.

View attachment 944299

I used my Game Changer today...I mean my postwar Tech, made in England, with a fresh Feather and Ikon bulldog handle. Total weight was 93 grams. It performed better than I thought it would. Of course, I was applying all kinds of pressure but the results seemed close to the SE1. A sweep with the SE1 only found the not so close stubble in some areas. I was BBS when I finished with the Tech but I'm sure stubble would have broke skin sooner than what I'm use to, but I remedied that with the SE1 clean up.

I got the usual sting from the AS, but my skin feels dried out, normal from the Feather as I remember it.

I used my standard technique... Lather once and go to town directly ATG. It was about 29 hours growth.
Similarly positive results with the Stahly and Teck II this morning.
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I can shave directly ATG with the Tech too but its just not efficient enough for me. I dont like shaving for 20 minutes lol. The SC and Old Types will also do it, but the efficiency level isnt there for me. I like more blade exposure.

Similarly positive results with the Stahly and Teck II this morning.

The postwar Tech I used today was slightly more efficient than the DE1/Tech II I used a week or so ago, I didn't use a Feather in it though.

How much does that Stahly weigh with the Atlas handle?

I can shave directly ATG with the Tech too but its just not efficient enough for me. I dont like shaving for 20 minutes lol. The SC and Old Types will also do it, but the efficiency level isnt there for me. I like more blade exposure.

It didn't take long for the Tech to finish all it could do! No fear with the Tech... :nono:

Top Bottom