What's new

End Of An Area, or was it Era

We're up at the cabin in the great white north on the lake. ON the Appalachia trail (NOT near ON the trail.... runs past our 500' of frontage, 25 feet from our front door). 3 acres on a lake.

No neighbors.

No sound

No lights at night other than the stars.

Came up to list and sell :(

Talked to a realtor just this morning. Found out he was a hiker (his hobby) hikes every week(end). Says he would pass our cabin next week with a group of hikers going to Mt. Manadnok.

Getting too old to "fire it up" after 34 years. Had to twist the arm of a friend to get the shutters off yesterday.

We built this "camp" to be 4 seasons (full year occupancy). 3 structures here. I wanted to end my life here.

It's been a great ride. hate to see it go. I designed and supervised the construction of everything. it is my baby. I first came to New Hampshire 45 years ago with a fraternity brother when. I was in college in the 70s

It is hard (VERY HARD) to let it pass from my life.

The end of a way of life as I have known it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sorry to burden B&B with this :(

It is hard for me to accept.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It’s hard to say sorry for your loss when I think about the person that might buy this beauty. I don’t know that I could feel heartache for something that I loved if I knew someone was buying it that would enjoy it as much as I did. I would be happy knowing that my time, money, effort, love was being taken care of and enjoyed. Long after you are gone the property you created will live on. Find the right buyer.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sorry to hear this Mick, looks like a very beautiful spot. Sorry to pry, is there a reason why you cannot finish up there?

Sorry to hear this Mick, looks like a very beautiful spot. Sorry to pry, is there a reason why you cannot finish up there?

I am getting too old to open and close it and winters are too severe for us to stay. We've over wintered several years but the snow has been over the roof at times (30+ feet of it one winter). There is no one that can do what needs to be done for me to keep it running. Everyone up here I know has passed away and there is no one up here that does this type of work now.

We need to start thinking about shrinking down to a reasonable level that we can handle. Having a place up here is no longer in the cards for us. It is too remote but it is beautiful here.

It will be missed. We walked the Appalachian trail in both directions from our cabin just about every day we were here for the past 30+ years. It has been a dream come true every day. Yesterday with the realtor really made it real. Walking to the trail head, looking down it, and realizing I would never walk it again was a sad awakening. Even though it was only a 100 yards from the cabin to the trail head off into the woods I found it difficult but exhilarating to do.

I'm sure who ever ends up with it will enjoy it as much as we have. it is an amazing place in an amazing location but it is time for us to move on while we can.

What a drag.
I bet there are loons there.

Yes, we have loons. The lake is restricted. No motor boats. Only sail boats, canoes, and kyacks. There is no public access to it. It is very peaceful and quiet up here.

I am writing this as the sun is rising. The night is leaving and another day is beginning. Very appropriate.

We bring nothing into this world and we will take nothing from it when we die. The best we can hope for is to leave behind our worldly possessions to those who will appreciate them as much as we did. Having cleaned out my mother's home and my aunt's, I realize that a large percentage of those possessions will end up in the garbage dump or be sold for pennies on the dollar at garage sales and auctions to someone who will never appreciate them.

You are lucky the cabin that you cherished for decades is likely to fall into the hands of someone who appreciates the beauty of nature as much as you did.

34 years with a place like that? You are blessed beyond measure. Hold the memories in your heart, and rejoice in the fact that now some other souls will get to share in that beautiful place that you have preserved all these years.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That is a beautiful place. You are truly fortunate to have enjoyed it for all this time. Likewise, it is fortunate to have had you as a resident and steward.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
You are truly blessed, Mick. It will get easier. Hold those memories close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom