What's new

Encouragement for Newbies

Every day, I experience what is as close to shaving nirvana as one could imagine, and I want to share what works for me as a way of paying it forward to newcomers and helping to simplify what can seem overwhelming at first. The following thoughts are for others who, like myself, don’t identify as collectors or even hobbyist but traditional shavers interested in the best experience.

When I first got into traditional shaving, I was quickly overwhelmed by the multiplicity of options and variables that affect one’s shave. I was used to Barbasol cans and Mach 3 or Gillette II blade disposables and wanted a comparably close but less irritating shave.

Years ago I first bought a MERKUR 34, a badger hair brush and Proraso and CE creams because all were highly recommended. Here—very briefly—is what I have since learned:

1) Boar BEATS badger. I have coarse hair, and after seeing this grey video (
) by an Italian master, I tried boar and have never looked back! Boar is slightly stiffer, so it actually feels like I am moving the hair follicles around not merely laying soap on them. My $10 Omega 48 always provides a more rewarding shave than my $50 EJ badger. (I should say that the difference is noticeable not in results [both are competent] but in the shaving experience. Boar feels better and costs less.)

2) BLADES are more important thank you think. I sold my first MERKUR HD because the shaves were terrible. Years later I bought it again with a blade sample pack from WCS & discovered that a good blade makes ALL the difference in the world! (Go Astra SP or Feather.) Initially, I thought something was wrong with the Merkur razor, when it was just the Merkur blade to blame!

3) Creams and soaps are equally proficient. What matters most is that you add water to your face between passes. That being said, there is a reason why Proraso/ CO Bieglow is as popular as it is.

4) Finally, stretch your face as you shave, and ALWAYS go WTG, XTG, then, maybe, ATG. A two-pass shave with cleanup gives me a great close shave that lasts the day.

5) My shaves also improved dramatically when I discovered the right aftershave—Every Man Jack aftershave lotion! The added moisture makes a huge difference.

Hope some of this helps overwhelmed or confused newcomers.

Every day, I experience what is as close to shaving nirvana as one could imagine, and I want to share what works for me as a way of paying it forward to newcomers and helping to simplify what can seem overwhelming at first. The following thoughts are for others who, like myself, don’t identify as collectors or even hobbyist but traditional shavers interested in the best experience.

When I first got into traditional shaving, I was quickly overwhelmed by the multiplicity of options and variables that affect one’s shave. I was used to Barbasol cans and Mach 3 or Gillette II blade disposables and wanted a comparably close but less irritating shave.

Years ago I first bought a MERKUR 34, a badger hair brush and Proraso and CE creams because all were highly recommended. Here—very briefly—is what I have since learned:

1) Boar BEATS badger. I have coarse hair, and after seeing this grey video (
) by an Italian master, I tried boar and have never looked back! Boar is slightly stiffer, so it actually feels like I am moving the hair follicles around not merely laying soap on them. My $10 Omega 48 always provides a more rewarding shave than my $50 EJ badger. (I should say that the difference is noticeable not in results [both are competent] but in the shaving experience. Boar feels better and costs less.)

2) BLADES are more important thank you think. I sold my first MERKUR HD because the shaves were terrible. Years later I bought it again with a blade sample pack from WCS & discovered that a good blade makes ALL the difference in the world! (Go Astra SP or Feather.) Initially, I thought something was wrong with the Merkur razor, when it was just the Merkur blade to blame!

3) Creams and soaps are equally proficient. What matters most is that you add water to your face between passes. That being said, there is a reason why Proraso/ CO Bieglow is as popular as it is.

4) Finally, stretch your face as you shave, and ALWAYS go WTG, XTG, then, maybe, ATG. A two-pass shave with cleanup gives me a great close shave that lasts the day.

5) My shaves also improved dramatically when I discovered the right aftershave—Every Man Jack aftershave lotion! The added moisture makes a huge difference.

Hope some of this helps overwhelmed or confused newcomers.

Thanks for the tips. I have been at it a few weeks and I greatly prefer the omega boar brush to the synthetic that I have. Maybe I’ll save the cash I would have dropped for badger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good tips :thumbup:. Although I slightly disagree with the boar over badger. I never liked boar because of how stiff it was; it always felt like I scraping my face and would always add slight irritation after the shave. I currently use silvertip badger and find it works best for me. Not too stiff and not too soft. Like everything else in wetshaving, different things work for different people.

Soaking the brush in cold water for 2-3 days before it’s first use? Has anyone tried this to break in the brush?

I washed mine twice with a little shampoo and water to get rid of the initial smell, then made a few lathers with Proraso, and it was fine ever since.

I am doing that, based on the video above. Unfortunately the brush has been used once, but still it doesn't cost anything to try it. I will report after 2 days as it gets dry.

Soaking the brush in cold water for 2-3 days before it’s first use? Has anyone tried this to break in the brush?

I believe what helps the brush hairs to split and thus give a softer touch is the soaking and then letting dry COMPLETELY and then repeating the process. Must let it dry between soaks to start the splitting better.

Top Bottom