What's new

Empire Razor - Wilkinson Sword

Hi. Do any of you know anything about this razor? I've just found one for sale (picture attached).

Seller's description is:
RARE 1930s E14 EMPIRE RAZOR - WILKINSON SWORD CO.

Antique Razor. 80 years old.

Set includes: Razor, stand & 6 blades, 3 of which are still wrapped. No strop.

1930's razor in good condition considering age. Rare Wilkinson E14 Empire razor, in its original art deco metal case with blue felt lining.

Marked on the razor is: Wilkinson / Patent #321115 / Made in England.

Questions -most importantly, do they take modern SE blades? If they do, what are they like to shave with, and is it worth the fairly hefty price tag?

Cheers

Questions -most importantly, do they take modern SE blades? If they do, what are they like to shave with, and is it worth the fairly hefty price tag?

Cheers

Only 3 months late! But no, I don't believe they take regular SE blades. I think the Empire is similar to the Wilkinson 7-day set, but without the interchangeable 7-day blade holder. I think the blade itself is the same: essentially a short section of a straight razor! A rounded spine approx 3/16" with a concave grind on both sides.

I think the Empire model the holder is fixed to the razor and you slide the blade in from the side. The 7-day set autostrop model has an individual holder and blade for each day of the week. The holder sets on a pin and you rotate the holder 90 deg. until it locks into the razor.

The blades should last a long time if you can find or make a honing handle. I can't see the stropping keeping them sharp forever. Extra blades do come up on eBay from time to time.

Keep a eye on e bay uk, these are quite common, and also dont aways sell, so you may be able to pick up a cheap one with a strop.

Top Bottom