What's new

Electric Dry Shaving

Does anyone here use a dry shave electric razor like a Norelco? I have not used one since I was 16, and was curious since I saw you can use them with shaving soaps and creams now.

Depends on a type of razor, foil or rotary. I have cheap nasty braun that shaves really good and more expensive phillips that destroys my neck every time I look at it.
If I ever decide to use electric again, more expenise braun would be my choice.

I agree with bookie, I've had a number of rotary electric shavers mostly by philips and including one of the ones you "wet shave" with and frankly they're more trouble than they're worth, especially if you have sensitive skin as they will cause razor burn.
I also have a cheap braun foil that works brilliantly, and frankly i'd stick with something like than unless your skin is quite tolerant. its a type 5609 if you're curious, which is actually a cheap travel shaver.

My advice for a dry shave is that you still need some prep to get the best results, having a shower first and working some conditioner or preshave cream into your stubble is good, it make the hairs softer and stand up. Just leave it 10 minutes or so after the shower to make sure you face has completely dried before shaving, as a dry shave should be fully dry, or else you get more friction.

Just my experience.

Oh and the other thing, wash your shaver out after every use and once its dry apply a lubricating/cleaning spray, keeping the shaver scrupulously clean and lubricated makes a big difference for me in avoiding irritation.

Last edited:
For me it is the opposite. The braun foil type rip the hairs from my face while the norelco 7300 i own does a pretty decent job. I use it in between blade shaves. The closeness does not last as long as a blade shave but is deffanitely passable as a good shave. I can wet or dry shave with it as well. The wet shaves are very close to bbs shaves

In recent years I've found Panasonic wet & dry shavers do best for me. I use a light shave oil (KoS Sensitive) to promote glide and reduce irritation from friction.

I have a cheap Braun that sees occasional cleanup use, but if I tried to shave with it daily I would be in a world of hurt.

I have a Remington rotary that's pieced together. I lost a spindle from the first, got a second identical one, and have cannibalized external parts as needed, beginning with the cutting head. Wally World did a close out on cutting heads and I got one that's a 99% exact fit.

I only use it where I doubt I'll be able to wet shave. No matter how careful I am, it gives me razor burns. The shave is just not as good as a wet shave, even a cartridge shave, but that's par for the course with any dry razor. Electric Shave helps - some.

Ironically, my best electric razor was a cheap AA battery powered rotary from a Dollar store. Gave that to my father when he couldn't use a blade some years ago.

If I had it to do over again, I'd try a foil. Had a travel one I used until it broke. But I don't think I'd like it as much as wet shaving.

FWIW, you have to clean them after each shave. For foils, you have to remove the foil cap and brush the cutting heads.

Does anyone here use a dry shave electric razor like a Norelco? I have not used one since I was 16, and was curious since I saw you can use them with shaving soaps and creams now.
I have a Norelco 5100 wet/dry electric razor that I was using for a couple of months to try and see if I could get good enough results with it to stay with it. I found I could get a better shave if I used some form of shave soap of cream when shaving with it. It was definitely closer than dry shaving with it. Problem was, I was hoping to get a fairly close and quick dry shave with it so I could shave in the morning before work. I get up at 5:00 a.m. and am too shaky and groggy to shave with a de razor, plus like to take my time and enjoy shaving with a safety razor. The electric was supposed to give me a decent shave quickly in the morning, but I couldn't get a close shave without spending 15 minutes and using shaving cream (which defeats the purpose of using an electric for me). Even taking the extra time and using shave cream, the shaves were not near de razor close, but not terrible.

I've ordered a Braun Cooltech electric razor to try out. I am hoping the foil blades with the cooling system will give me a close enough shave without having to use a soap or cream with it. I like to have a smooth face during the day, but really enjoy wet shaving in the evenings when I have plenty of time to enjoy it.

Top Bottom