What's new

EL JEFE

Received my (((EL JEFE))) yesterday and used today. I knew about the align issues before I spent my $25 shipped, so it wasn't a deal breaker. Wasn't difficult to align, would nice to just drop in a blade and get to it though. I used a Kai mild pink that had 14 face and 1 head shaves on it. The shave with (((EL JEFE))) went great, BBS was no problem. No real difference from the General. The only thing notable about (((EL JEFE))) is that it didn't quite glide like the aluminum General. The cap seem to drag, but it wasn't a big deal, just an observation. I will continue to use (((EL JEFE))), it's not bad at all.

This was discussed in a different thread. Ikon says it is made of aluminum, however a lot of folks (including me) have noted that it is significantly heavier than the General and the Hawk, which are also made of aluminum. It definitely has a coating on it and I am not sure if the cap dragging is from the coating, or maybe because it is heavier than the General. Not as comfortable a shave as the General, but much more efficient.

maybe because it is heavier than the General. Not as comfortable a shave as the General, but much more efficient.

I had the blade seated all the way back on the baseplate along with the cap. It was pretty smooth to me. I will never have the blade forward. Efficiency was about the same as the General.

Is ikon going to relauch the jefe or they done making them they hard to find I been looking
One real brief statement from Ikon a while back saying they got other projects they are working on and so it probably won't be until the middle of this year before they produce the "corrected" version. Of course, they will probably be charging full price for the head $40, and so if you don't mind doing the blade alignment ritual every time you load, get the $20 flawed version mentioned above.

I put the Kai mild pink back in the General for another perfect BBS shave for shave 16 on the blade.

The General sliced through my stubble better than (((EL JEFE))) did yesterday with the same blade. I'm very tempted to get the brass General, it's an excellent SE. The Kai mild pink blades makes it a winning combination that can't be beat!

Looks like a good razor, unfortunately they don't post overseas. Shame as I was keen to purchase an el jefe head.
Gifts and Care used to stock it, they might have it again later.
It does look like iKon stocks are mostly gone now at many European stores (including UK stores). I wonder if iKon is having some issues. Can't be the razors, they're all generally very well regarded.

I've gotta say I love mine....now. I got the same deal off eBay. 19.99 plus shipping. Greg clearing them out. For me the Kai CT mild and the feather pro guard which were widely lauded produced uncomfortable shaves. Not a lot of irritation just uncomfortable. To be fair it is my first SE. I was about to sell it off until I tried the Feather Pro's. For me they're great and really produced a top notch shave. I'm really glad I grabbed an El Jefe cheap!

I've gotta say I love mine....now. I got the same deal off eBay. 19.99 plus shipping. Greg clearing them out. For me the Kai CT mild and the feather pro guard which were widely lauded produced uncomfortable shaves. Not a lot of irritation just uncomfortable. To be fair it is my first SE. I was about to sell it off until I tried the Feather Pro's. For me they're great and really produced a top notch shave. I'm really glad I grabbed an El Jefe cheap!

I've been noticing an "ouchy" tendency too on my last few outings with El Jefe.
I've been using the Kai CT Mild as well; maybe I too will try a Feather Pro.

I wonder if iKon is having some issues. Can't be the razors, they're all generally very well regarded.

That's an understatement wrt El Jefe! The entire run of heads was apparently manufactured with too-small blade retaining pins on the baseplate. If you make sure the blade is seated fully to the rear and the cap seated fully forward before locking it down, the result will be an extremely close and pretty aggressive shave. If you don't, you'll wind up looking like something out of "The Walking Dead."

Tried my first shave today with the El Jefe on loan from a very generous member @imatabor, received it earlier today and set it right up. Had no issue with blade alignment and getting right to the shave. It was mated to a very nice Bulldog handle, s/s I believe giving the razor a good feel and balance. Paired it up with a Kai Titan Pink blade and gave myself a very efficient and smooth shave. A nice 2 pass shave with some buffing only giving myself 2 tiny weepers and a minor nic on the chin, completely my fault on that. Nice blade feel, not to mild or aggressive. Somewhere in between my Asylum Rx and the Brass General with it being more on the aggressive scale. But the shave was close to both in quality and post shave feel. A very good shave for a first time use razor. Looking forward to a couple more shaves to see how it matches up with my Rx and Brass General. So far, so good.....
IMG_0672.JPG

Tried my first shave today with the El Jefe on loan from a very generous member @imatabor, received it earlier today and set it right up. Had no issue with blade alignment and getting right to the shave. It was mated to a very nice Bulldog handle, s/s I believe giving the razor a good feel and balance. Paired it up with a Kai Titan Pink blade and gave myself a very efficient and smooth shave. A nice 2 pass shave with some buffing only giving myself 2 tiny weepers and a minor nic on the chin, completely my fault on that. Nice blade feel, not to mild or aggressive. Somewhere in between my Asylum Rx and the Brass General with it being more on the aggressive scale. But the shave was close to both in quality and post shave feel. A very good shave for a first time use razor. Looking forward to a couple more shaves to see how it matches up with my Rx and Brass General. So far, so good.....
View attachment 793974
Did you align the blade edge back from the guard? Or close to the edge of the guard?

Not sure to be honest. I eyeballed it and just made sure there was even blade exposure across the whole head of the razor. But I will remember to check on my next shave whether it's forward more or away from the guard.......

Top Bottom