What's new

Eight o'Clock Original Blend

Hi Everyone, My local wal-mart has 36 oz of Eight o'clock Original blend for $6. The price seems too good to be true. How does everyone feel about buying large quantity of pre-ground coffee when it's such a good price?

I like Eight O'clock whole bean (although it isn't my preferred brand). It's been so long since I have had their pre-ground that I don't recall if it was any good.

Sent via Tapatalk

The way I feel is not normal.

I roast my own coffee weekly and grind within minutes of brewing.

Buying more coffee than you can consume within 7 days is not a good idea.

As I tell my wife. Buying an throwing away is not good economy

The way I feel is not normal.

I roast my own coffee weekly and grind within minutes of brewing.

Buying more coffee than you can consume within 7 days is not a good idea.

As I tell my wife. Buying an throwing away is not good economy

Must be some great coffee! I will be right over.

How do you roast it? I have been tempted to try using the oven. I agree with your assessment of when to grind coffee. Grinding just before brewing definitely gives one the best possible flavor.

Sent via Tapatalk

Must be some great coffee! I will be right over.

How do you roast it? I have been tempted to try using the oven. I agree with your assessment of when to grind coffee. Grinding just before brewing definitely gives one the best possible flavor.

Sent via Tapatalk

Here I am using a Hottop

proxy.php

That's a great price. I particularly like Eight O'clock coffee - especially the whole-bean Colombian. I'd buy that large bag if I had the chance.

I would not buy a lot of preground drip coffee, but many people do without a second thought and like the taste. If one is after basic coffee flavor or if they like to add a generous amount of creamer or sweetener then that coffee may be tasty enough. YMMV.

I would not buy a lot of preground drip coffee, but many people do without a second thought and like the taste. If one is after basic coffee flavor or if they like to add a generous amount of creamer or sweetener then that coffee may be tasty enough. YMMV.
It would be brewed in a French press or a Melitta pour over so it would probably make a palatable brew at first. I've never purchased really good beans so thankfully ignorance is bliss. I think I'll probably grab it next time I'm there.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It would be brewed in a French press or a Melitta pour over so it would probably make a palatable brew at first. I've never purchased really good beans so thankfully ignorance is bliss. I think I'll probably grab it next time I'm there.
I'm ignorant too. More ignorant, obviously, as I'd buy two bags. Of course at my age, I should avoid buying green bananas.

The only way I got away from sugar/sweetener in coffee was to roast my own or buy local artisan roasted coffee from the source.

I still enjoy whole milk in my coffee but I can drink what I roast black, I just like the taste of milk in my coffee.

Now on the few times that we have had to resort to "store coffee" a BIG scoop of sugar was needed to mask the bitterness of old coffee.

When I was buying store coffee and using milk and sugar, we bought what ever was on sale or the cheapest as it all pretty much tasted the same once liberally dosed with milk and sugar. When I started in drinking fresh roasted coffee I "blended" it with store coffee until we went through the stockpile of canned coffee we had amassed. Once that was gone, I did not buy more, opting to stick with better tasting fresh coffee.

Down here at Casa Mick Süd I have to travel 20 miles to the closest artisan roaster and his roast is $20 a lb and up. YES, I've made the trip and paid the price when my roaster was down waiting for parts but after spending $60 on coffee I decided it was imperative that I repair or replace my roaster as the cost of 3 lb of roasted "blend" from them was equal to 15 pounds of better quality single origin green coffee.

I guess that had I not been exposed to good coffee we would still be buying Folgers or Yuban in bulk when they went on sale.

FarmerTan

The only way I got away from sugar/sweetener in coffee was to roast my own or buy local artisan roasted coffee from the source.

I still enjoy whole milk in my coffee but I can drink what I roast black, I just like the taste of milk in my coffee.

Now on the few times that we have had to resort to "store coffee" a BIG scoop of sugar was needed to mask the bitterness of old coffee.

When I was buying store coffee and using milk and sugar, we bought what ever was on sale or the cheapest as it all pretty much tasted the same once liberally dosed with milk and sugar. When I started in drinking fresh roasted coffee I "blended" it with store coffee until we went through the stockpile of canned coffee we had amassed. Once that was gone, I did not buy more, opting to stick with better tasting fresh coffee.

Down here at Casa Mick Süd I have to travel 20 miles to the closest artisan roaster and his roast is $20 a lb and up. YES, I've made the trip and paid the price when my roaster was down waiting for parts but after spending $60 on coffee I decided it was imperative that I repair or replace my roaster as the cost of 3 lb of roasted "blend" from them was equal to 15 pounds of better quality single origin green coffee.

I guess that had I not been exposed to good coffee we would still be buying Folgers or Yuban in bulk when they went on sale.

Ha, ha Mick, my condolences, seriously, ignorance is bliss, and I've got it in spades. Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess. When I retire, my plan is to roast my own, if I can get it past the War Department. She has veto power over all expenditures, and has kept us out of debt in the leanest of times.
I thought I lived in the sticks; seems like you got me beat. When she approves the expenditure, I will be picking your brain, if that's ok, because all of my research has proven to me that I'm an artist type, no scientist in the coffee bean business.

Last time was at the doughnut shop, when they asked if I wanted a cup of coffee to go with my doughnuts, I had to think hard before saying, no, just water is fine.....

They looked at me as though I was from mars but I knew I would be pouring it out if I ordered it.

Very sad when you have to turn down coffee, especially when your friends ask if you want a cup :(

As far as roasting coffee, all you need is a pan, a spoon and 10 minutes on the stove.

A basic guide to roasting coffee in a frying pan

You can start with a pound of Colombian Supremo (big beans). These will cost you around $4-$5 plus shipping just about everywhere. Supremo is what you will recognize as "the best tasting Folgers you have ever had". You may never move beyond that single origin as it is so good and consistent year to year.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Here I am hijacking the thread again..... for a long time I drank whatever was available or on sale. Then I made the mistake of getting a kuerig, and became a coffee snob. Then I got tired of wasting so much coffee and went back to a 4 cup drip that has served me well. But I rarely except coffee from anyone anymore. They just don't measure up to what I've come to expect.

I do have a dear brother from church who has been educated quite literally all over the world that could make a decent cup of coffee from bat guano. I never turn down his coffee, even at 9pm.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Sam’s has the 51oz Folgers Original ground coffee for $7.98. I bought 4.
Three are in the freezer. I drink it black.
I used to buy beans online and grind before brewing in French Press, Chemex, AeroPress, Melitta, Moka Pot, and Stovetop Percolator.
I have come to the decision that for me I shall drink Folgers brewed using my Black and Decker auto drip. Pretty darn good coffee.

That being said: fresh Tanzania Peaberry brewed in a Chemex is about as good as it gets!!

Top Bottom