What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl or DE89L?

Just a guess, but maybe the 'bl' at the end of the model number was added for the razor that is sold with blades, as opposed to just the razor itself.

That must be it. So simple I couldn't possibly have though of myself! :001_rolle

Mine came in the impressive Diffusion box. Edwin Jagger sure knows how to package a product.

From their online shop, I gather as follows.

All of them have the same (great) Edwin Jagger/Mühle head.

And:

EJ DE89 is chrome plated
EJ DE89L is lined chrome plated
Barley is Barley, DE89BA11bl

Apparently there is no DE89LBL (lots of confusion about it out there). There is a EJ chrome plated with an octagonal handle with the reference DE89811bl.

Whichever you shave with... it's great!!!

I've never heard of this DE89LBL, but I love my DE89L. It's a great razor. It looks gorgeous and shaves beautifully.
If you think you love that EJ89L just get yourslef a Weber Bulldog handle and add it to the EJ89 Head, it will be just as smooth but more efficient because of the Weber Solid All Stainless Steel Handle. I wont go back to my Regular EJ89 handle Ever.

If you think you love that EJ89L just get yourslef a Weber Bulldog handle and add it to the EJ89 Head, it will be just as smooth but more efficient because of the Weber Solid All Stainless Steel Handle. I wont go back to my Regular EJ89 handle Ever.

A matter of preference of course. The lined EJ handle is my favorite handle, right size and weight for me and no grip problems. I tried heavy custom made steel handles and found them too heavy for my taste.

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!! Run!!

proxy.php

So, here's another question to those who have the barley DE89. Is it worth paying the extra $10 or so to get the barley handle over the lined handle? I guess what I'm asking is, is the barley for looks only or is it a significantly more secure grip over the lined handle?

So, here's another question to those who have the barley DE89. Is it worth paying the extra $10 or so to get the barley handle over the lined handle? I guess what I'm asking is, is the barley for looks only or is it a significantly more secure grip over the lined handle?

Looks only. None are slippery unless your hand is soapy, at least to me.

Regardless of the finish, the EJ beats any other razor I've ever owned or am likely to own.
Perfect weight, mimimal pressure required, a real beaut!

I got my EJ DE89LBL 2 days ago. I got it from SOAP.COM and it is the LINED barrel (handle). On the bottom of the box the bar code says DE89LBL.
Price was $31.99 free shipping and no tax. It also came with 5 Derby Extra blades.
Larry

Last edited:

+1

I haven't used the lined handle. I bought the Barley on the theory that it would be grippier. While I think the grip is ok, it's not like the barley is anything close to an equivalent of knurled handles (Weber, Tradere, GS1). I don't think it's "grippy" at all. This is not to say it's slippery in particular, but the barley pattern is not like heavy knurling. It's really shallow, in fact.

Top Bottom