What's new

Ebonite vs Acrylic. Your preference and why

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I am in queue to have a pipe made, and my number was just called. This is my first pipe I’m able to pick what I want. Now, I’m reading on ebonite vs acrylic.

now I’m reading the anointed is more expensive. Takes a bit of upkeep for shine due to oxidation and is softer, which is better for clenchers.

I usually like to use soft bits in my stem, as clenching is my preference. Does this mean that there would really be no reason to go with an ebonite stem?

Unless the ebonite aesthetics please you more than acrylic options and merit the additional upkeep, I'd say go for the acrylic if you are using rubber bits. I'm torn with the very same decision for an upcoming DR Franc morta.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
So I am in queue to have a pipe made, and my number was just called. This is my first pipe I’m able to pick what I want. Now, I’m reading on ebonite vs acrylic.

now I’m reading the anointed is more expensive. Takes a bit of upkeep for shine due to oxidation and is softer, which is better for clenchers.

I usually like to use soft bits in my stem, as clenching is my preference. Does this mean that there would really be no reason to go with an ebonite stem?

Vulcanites definitely feel better. But acrylics keep better.

I'm a biter. Now that I use bits on them, they all feel comfortable. So I now prefer the latter.

Do you know if your tech is turning his rubber from rod stock, or pouring them? If he's pouring his stems, I would definitely go with the acrylics.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Store ebonite out of direct sunlight, wipe stem after smoking, and put obsidian oil on it 4 or 5 times a year. Upkeep is not very difficult.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I prefer a brush and soap over canned goo, straight razors over disposables, used a Lamy fountain in high school, prefer plugs over flakes, JNats over synthetics, make my pancakes from scratch and like/prefer vulcanite. It’s a bit more pain in butt to maintain, and easier to mar, but gee, looking at a the bottomless shine on a vulcanite stem just seems more enjoyable than the exact same shine on a plastic stem. YMMV :).

I like both and don't really choose a pipe based on the stem material. But if given a choice I prefer acrylic. The ease of maintenance is super nice. Sometimes I neglect my pipe maintenance so its nice to have a fail safe haha. If using a softy bit the added hardness wouldn't be a concern.

I prefer a brush and soap over canned goo, straight razors over disposables, used a Lamy fountain in high school, prefer plugs over flakes, JNats over synthetics, make my pancakes from scratch and like/prefer vulcanite. It’s a bit more pain in butt to maintain, and easier to mar, but gee, looking at a the bottomless shine on a vulcanite stem just seems more enjoyable than the exact same shine on a plastic stem. YMMV :).
And smooth, flatten and square boards using an actual plane.
B8A5A4D7-3F5E-4A14-AB2F-8A339D0A8225.jpeg
F79D9AEA-CE91-4F7F-9AD2-76D37EC264A9.jpeg

Last edited:
My turnable is a Zenith console I got from my grandmother. I got the turntable playing again. It was all gummed up with the old grease since this one is belt-less. Speakers on it could use some work...

But stems, I prefer Vulcanite. Easier on the teeth. Softees get too big for me and hurt my jaw more. My teeth mar up all the materials. I just admitted defeat on not getting chatter on my stems and let it go. Its just one of those things I have to deal with later. Or the wife or kids do when I'm gone a long time from now.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My turnable is a Zenith console I got from my grandmother. I got the turntable playing again. It was all gummed up with the old grease since this one is belt-less. Speakers on it could use some work...

But stems, I prefer Vulcanite. Easier on the teeth. Softees get too big for me and hurt my jaw more. My teeth mar up all the materials. I just admitted defeat on not getting chatter on my stems and let it go. Its just one of those things I have to deal with later. Or the wife or kids do when I'm gone a long time from now.
Another bad thing about soft bits is that bacteria can build up underneath. They are a pain to put on and take off, so cleaning them is a nuisance

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Another bad thing about soft bits is that bacteria can build up underneath. They are a pain to put on and take off, so cleaning them is a nuisance

I never even thought about that. So how often should you be taking them off and I suppose clean them

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I never even thought about that. So how often should you be taking them off and I suppose clean them

A dry pipe is a sanitary pipe.

I wouldn’t worry about pulling bits off and on for constant cleanings. But that’s just me.

After your post-smoke pipe swabbing, just wipe it off with a dry cloth before setting it back in the rack. Nature will handle the rest.

If it really bothers you that much, just wipe or dip the mouth end in some pipe sweetener before you stow it.

Top Bottom