What's new

ebay frenzy?

Is it just me or have the BIN and starting prices of most razors jumped? And not just collectible razors like those Toggles or FBs, but middle of the roads too?

Seems like it's effecting the BST too, but maybe that's my imagination.

-jim

Is it just me or have the BIN and starting prices of most razors jumped? And not just collectible razors like those Toggles or FBs, but middle of the roads too?

Seems like it's effecting the BST too, but maybe that's my imagination.

-jim

The more people use traditional razors the more the price will go up, on Ebay, the BST forum, and even webstores.

I started wetshaving in 2007, and i can tell you that the price of ALL razors has increased since then.

Yeah, I would never have thought that a 1930's Aristocrat would have gone for more than $125. But one went for $155 tonight (he says, as he skulks away like a dog with it's tail between it's legs).

It was a real beauty. The finish was amazing. Maybe razor collecting has come into it's own and I am late to the game.

I think prices have increased some recently. But there is an ebb and flow so to speak. People have, do, and will always ask stupid prices for common junk. It is due to ignorance. There are deals out there, but there are more people looking for them.

The collectable stuff has been and always will be collectable. I think that the DE market has grown recently, and even if that means a rare, collectable item will cost me more, it means that there are THAT many more people buying blades, soaps, creams, etc...

In the long run, it is good for the DE market. I have noticed an increase in prices on the BST. I think the prices are almost always below market value. But when a fatboy in excellent condition runs about $80 on the bay, its kinda hard to sell one for $30 on the BST. Everyone is affected by the increase in prices. Good or bad, it affects us all

But I've noticed an increase in prices just these past few months. There are a lot of factors, so I'm hesitant to jump to any conclusions. For example, in December I tried to sell a D1 toggle in excellent condition for $160 shipped with insurance on the BST. It didn't sell. I'll repeat that, a D1 toggle didn't sell for $160. I don't need to tell you the prices on the last F4 toggles that sold on ebay, they are through the roof.

I think it will cool off. With bigger prices, more stuff comes out of the woodwork. Be patient, I think the worst of the storm has passed and prices will come down some once spring rolls in

Some of the BST prices have been insane here the past few days, Ive noticed that too! I almost picked up a Futur......Almost. :mad3:

The B/S/T market probably has to bear some correlation with prices on the 'bay. Otherwise, folks are just going to flip razors for profit. Being able to buy a $30 Fatboy here and potentially sell it for $80 on eBay as in Nick's (GreekGuy) example is an incentive for mischief. We want these razors to stay in our "ecosystem" and we don't want speculators.

Well, it is not just about razors. The prices will never decrease in near future except for "bubbles". We call it "inflationary spiral" in economics.

@pjotr - that one borders on insane . . . but take a look at the seller!! A feedback score of 4560, 100% positive. They're a "Power Seller", and run an eBay store as well. This isn't someone who just fell off the turnip truck on the way to market!!! But, I see that none of their other items scrolling at the top of their listing are razors, so they most likely are honest folk who have simply listed an item outside of their knowledge zone. Could be, also, that the price listed is a typo.

I've noticed razor prices to be cyclical on eBay. Common razors attract more bidders and go up in price in the fall months leading into the Christmas and Hanukkah season, only to fall back off in January. This year it seems to have gone a few more weeks before falling off, but bid activity has dropped as evidenced by the number of razors sold lately with only one or two bidders involved.

The sellers who specialize in $300 nicely polished (or potentially re-plated) razors will still get their prices, and of course the market is still quite hot for uncommon items like this weekend's open-comb Aristocrat or a Double-Ring.

Berkin noted an inflationary spiral and he is right on the money! We are presently experiencing inflation here in the States that we have not seen in decades! Driven by increased oil prices, we are seeing not only gasoline go up but also groceries, clothing, and other necessities. Since most people's wages don't keep immediate pace with inflation, less "disposable" income means fewer non-essential items (like vintage razors) will be purchased.

If fewer people are bidding on common razors, the wise seller will increase his opening price and take one or two bids, rather than open low and wait for the bidding frenzy that isn't likely to happen right now to bring his selling price up.

My theories:
a) Collectors - not people new to wetshaving but people who want a complete collection of Gillette razors. :blushing:
b) Speculation. Thinking you can sell that Toggle next month for $50 more than you paid for it.
c) People buying hype about certain razors - Aristocrat, Fat Boy, etc. And let's face it, there's a lot of hype.

I do happen to think we are in a bubble. Collectables have been in bubbles before - baseball cards and beanie babies are famous examples.

Ebay Gillette prices seem to be splitting - if it's adjustable or a red tip, add $20 to what you think it's worth. If it's a super speed, you might get it as the only bidder.

I guess that's where the market is going, largely due to collectors, who want something because of its rarity.

EDIT: text removed following advice (below) - I really don't believe in linking to live auctions. It's unfair. Above all, it rewards bad eBayers. . .

Last edited:
Just a couple of observations:

In my experience on Ebay, I have noticed prices being inflated with auctions I am bidding on when I am competing with one other person who wants the same thing. If I try again with another auction, I might get the same item (or better) for a noticeably lower price.

BST sales are still noticeably lower than Ebay but that is to be expected given what Ebay is... With the exchange rate, for those of us in the UK the BST is often better still, particularly given that sellers on the BST are invariably knowledgeable and give very accurate descriptions. There aren't a huge number of razors on the UK Ebay at any given time so anything a bit rare, unusual or sought after will be in high demand.

Still, there are good deals and bargains to be had on the 'bay and one of the ways of slowing the inflation for safety razors is by refraining from bidding too high a price - unless you really *have* to have it :001_smile

Really Ebay is just a fly by night thing. One day a New Deluxe sells for $50 and the other for $15.

Serioulsy if I spend enough time on Ebay I can find a great deal everyday. People dont spend enough time looking, they find that one razor and bid on it. Remember there is more than one :thumbup1:

Top Bottom