What's new

EBay Feedback

Just as a thought...sometimes USPS tracking numbers can take a day or two or more to actually enter their system. It may have been shipped on the 10th, but it may not make it into their system until a day or two later. I've had this happen before. Whenever the tracking number makes it into the system it should give information on when it was first received.

I agree with Brian. I have had several occasions recently where the tracking number never was entered into the USPS system or wasn't available for a couple days after the package was actually mailed. So, it could be the seller did as promised.

I would wait until you receive the package and can validate the date stamp. If it was mailed late I would leave a neutral review and an explanation.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the seller was trying her best to rectify a bad situation. Yes, so there was a delay, but she explained the situation, and she wasn't rude about it. Personally, I would give her the benefit of the doubt and leave positive feedback.

And let's be honest, it's not unheard of to have issues with PayPal. Heck, I had a bit of an issue ordering from Mama Bear Sue a little while back due to PayPal. Sue received money but no corresponding order so she had to refund me and notified me of the problem quickly, but it all worked out in the end. I reordered, the transaction went smoothly and I received my soap as if nothing happened. Yeah, the overall transaction didn't go quite as planned, but I blame PayPal, not Sue.

As for the USPS and tracking, they're notoriously bad at providing timely updates at times. I wouldn't fault the vendor for that either.

Last edited:
I think there is a waiting period before ebay will open a dispute isn't there? Either way I wouldn't get too cranked up over it, give it a couple of weeks, sometimes people have problems, you have communication and that is good. As long as I get the item and nothing is wrong with it then I'm okay, I wouldn't go and tag someone just because you can unless a lot of time goes by and still no item. You have the paypal thing so you aren't going to lose any money, it's just a suggestion but maybe you might need some patience from somebody someday, good luck bc

It is frustrating to be led on, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and if the item is up to standard, give positive rating but comment on the shipping.

You don't have to deal with her again if you don't want to.

So on the 9th, she resolves the printing problem, but then on the 12th she says the printing problem was still going on on the 10th, so the package didn't get to the post office till the 11th? Wait, I thought you had the label printed on the ninth, at least that's what you said. So which is it?

That's why I think at best, I can only give her a neutral rating.

Hmm...I was for giving a positive rating if all turned out well and giving her very low stars on shipping until I saw this exchange.
It's a bit difficult to believe her when she contradicts herself in such a way...unless she got confused and had difficulty keeping track of things and gave you the wrong information. Still, it does pose a problem and does seem to leave you with, as you say, neutral at best

Reading your correspondence with her seems to indicate that she is way over her head. She should slow down the selling and make sure she gets organized.

I can understand problems with printing labels and so, but she shouldn't just print and mail and assume she has done everything and not provide you with any feedback or information. She should double check that she has got out all of her sales. She needs to tidy up her business. At least she's offering a refund, so I don't think she is dishonest or doing this all intentionally.

I would wait for the item to arrive and if the item is in the condition described, I would then leave neutral feedback, with comments saying that item was as described, but there were shipping delays.

It does no good to the eBay community of trying to smooth out her feelings by leaving positive feedback in that case.

I usually wait until I have the item in hand, then assess the entire exchange. If there wasn't any apparent malice or dishonesty, and I am happy with the item, then I will at a minimum mention the delay in shipping in the comments. The decision between positive and neutral is one of how unreliable they were with you. Negative should only be used for egregious actions, in my opinion.

Same here.

It doesn't seem like anything was deliberate. However, she could have been proactive in the situation and emailed you the instant she wasn't going to make the three day mark her auction claimed. It is possible that she was getting you confused w/ someone else during the exchanges. Having been active in selling a lot of items at a time logistics can be difficult. Regardless, I'd be irritated that item was not shipped and received in a timely fashion. At this point, I'd probably be leaning towards neutral due to the contradictions in her emails.

Don't give her negative feedback. Sometimes things happen. She at leasy contacted you once proactively, which means she was trying. She's not trying to rip you off, she's just having problems getting her act together. Maybe she was sick, maybe she was out of town, whatever.

If the item arrives as described, and is wrapped well, at best give per a "neutral positive" stating that item arrived but took a while to ship, and give her low scores on the shipping and communication ratings.

Negative feedback should only be given to sellers who either totally cheat you, send you defective items and refuse to take them back, don't respond to any of your communications, or communicate in an insulting manner. It doesn't seem that this seller met any of these criteria. Give her the benefit of the doubt that she may have been having problems. If you can't feel it in your heart to give her a good rating, don't give her a rating at all and let it slide.

Jeff in Boston

Okay, so I FINALLY got this razor today. It was in the condition described, just took a long time to arrive. Cleaned it up and it looks really good. Used the baking soda and hot water method, and then a gentle polish.

So what did you decide to do as far as feedback is concerned?

I left neutral feedback. Noted in the comments that the item was as described. I have a couple problems with eBay, one is that the comment section is so short. The other is that if you leave neutral feedback, they almost try to talk you out of it. I grappled with this quite a bit, as I understand sometimes things go wrong, but at the same time, giving a positive feedback is also masking the issue, and degrades the whole rating system. I certainly did not want to go negative, since it was not deceptive, the seller just needed to get their act together so to speak. I also took into consideration the fact that the seller talked in the listing about how estate sales was their sole business and they had been doing it for 35 years.

Top Bottom