What's new

Early Single Ring? Mixed Parts?? What have I got here?

Here's a photo of the handle inner tubes on my Double Ring and five Single Rings.

View attachment 71712

From left to right here are the razors they came from and the tube diameters. I used a mic on the tubes but I don't have calipers to measure the length. However using two straight edges I found that all the tubes are the same length except #3 which is slightly shorter.

1..Double Ring..1905.. tube .313 "
2..Single Ring...1906.. tube .313
3. SR...............1921.. tube .310 early 1921 shorter tube
4. SR...............1916.. tube .313
5. SR...............1920.. tube .305
6. SR...............1915.. tube .314

Len

Last edited:
Nice! I've got a correction from above to make. I said it looked like they switched the Serial from the barrel to the head in or between 1910 and 1911, I was incorrect. I mis-dated the 1911 (black uncased razor in pic above), it has 6, not 5 digits (begins with C, the 6th number is a light strike, as are digits 3 and 5, but I thought it was tarnish.debris-not yet cleaned up).

It in fact is a 1912. Discovered today when I opened the mail- got a 1911 Single Ring, this one has the serial number on the barrel. So it appears they switched in or between 1911 and 1912, if mine are indicative of the rest.

The one that came today also has the script logo case, though being a 1911, I don't know as that's correct (Mr. Razor's site shows one of these with a 1907 Single Ring). Outer covering is largely gone,. but the interior is pretty clean. Also came with a cardboard Gillette blade box (only one, though I have another case coming with only one also, so they'll make a pair in one of the cases).

I'll shoot a pic next week and give measurements of my barrels too. I bought another last night (first time I've boght a Single Ring for the case more or less, it was in a Bostonian case), so have 2 more coming. Going to have to do a "Week of the Rings" shaving rotation :biggrin:.

It's an early Single Ring. I suppose it's possible some were released in 1905. The case is consistent with some early Single Rings furnished in the New York Double Ring case.

Len

I've got a 1905 Single Ring also. It has the '04 patent reference on the handle as well. I always figured it was a frankenrazor, but I suppose in the early years there were additional configurations that we're unaware of a century later. I just have the razor only, no case. Serial #320776

-- John Gehman

I've got a 1905 Single Ring also. It has the '04 patent reference on the handle as well. I always figured it was a frankenrazor, but I suppose in the early years there were additional configurations that we're unaware of a century later. I just have the razor only, no case. Serial #320776

-- John Gehman
Well now that is interesting! Any others out there that anyone has seen?

I wonder if it's possible that the Single ring actually did debut in 1905? Double rings were not produced in 1906, is this correct? Do we know of Double Rings with higher serial numbers than this Single Ring, 288248?

The serial numbers, if produced in order and production divided equally per month would put mine near the end of the 8th month and BroJohn's in the 11th month.

Last edited:
My Double Ring has 262 548

Thank you Sir! Now, I know there are more out here, does anyone have (or does anyone recall seeing) a Double Ring with a serial number higher than my Single Ring that carries the number 288248? Is it possible we're onto something WRT the time/serial number where the switch from DR to SR occurred?

Top Bottom