What's new

Dumb Arko question

They say there is no such thing as a dumb question but I'm about to test that.

I ordered a tub of Arko vs a stick. I was expecting it to be like Proraso or other soaps where it is basically milled in a tub.

Well, it came as a solid puck. And the shape of the puck is not like Williams or Mitchell's where it fits nicely in a mug or something.

This has got me thinking that this is not intended to be lathered in the bowl or with a brush but to be held in your hand and rubbed on your face, and then take the brush to your face.

I'm willing to admit this is probably common sense. I guess I am just used to mug or bowl soaps meant to be lathered in a mug or in the tub.

Any which way that pleases and performs.

I faced lathered with WMS a week ago. Grabbed the puck and rubbed it on my wet face, lathered from there.

Recently, I grabbed a stick of Arko and loaded a wet brush and took that to a bowl to lather.

The Arko or WMS puck work well enough for me in a mug or bowl or on my face. Mix it up. Throw a party.

Didn't it come in that little red tub? If so, it's supposed to be lathered on the puck.

Feel free to pick it up and use it a shave stick though, whatever works.

Yes, it came in the little red tub. It's just the puck itself is domed and not dished. Most of the other mug soaps are hollow or flat. I guess the shape just threw me off.

It fits perfectly in an OS mug and I load it from there - less messy as from the tub.
AA95138D-6AC9-4979-8F9D-448D00C4BBB6.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have the puck I don't see why you would rub the soap on your face. It's easier to load the brush from the tub. I don't see how a shaving stick is convenient for every day use. I spend more time rubbing the stick on my face than taking 15 seconds to load a brush from a puck. I suppose sticks take up less space in a traveling dopp kit and there is less packaging waste overall.

If you have the puck I don't see why you would rub the soap on your face. It's easier to load the brush from the tub. I don't see how a shaving stick is convenient for every day use. I spend more time rubbing the stick on my face than taking 15 seconds to load a brush from a puck. I suppose sticks take up less space in a traveling dopp kit and there is less packaging waste overall.
I don't know why I rubbed a puck on my face, but here's my theory: Sometimes I build a bowl lather, then rub a shave soap on my face, then I apply the bowl lather as I turn the soap on my face into more lather. It's a combo. Anyway, I forgot to build a bowl lather before rubbing soap on my face, said to heck with it, and face lathered. That is a theory. What is for certain, is I was the best shaved boy in my row that day.

Like the OP, the Arko puck did not make much sense to me. The soap swirled around when I tried to load my brush, and even if I kept it in place by pressing the puck, a lot of the lather would hide under the soap, because there is a lot of empty space there.

I put mine in a proraso soap mug. perfect fit, and the ridges on the sides keeps it in place.
i did use to just keep it inside the provided tub. after a couple of uses, it glued itself to the bottom and stayed in place for months until i pryed it out, so no issues there.

It should come in a red container. Designed to at least load your brush on top.
Some people massage a stick into a container for the same purpose

And now this was not hard and not a silly arko question at all!

Now if you’d asked if you can use arko as a crowd control mechanism insect/rodent repellent or pepper spray that would be silly of course you can!
Warning might not work on b&b members and usage in discotheques might give you a substance abuse (they literally fall for you, knocked out) warning

Use this Turkish army knife at own risk.

Like the OP, the Arko puck did not make much sense to me. The soap swirled around when I tried to load my brush, and even if I kept it in place by pressing the puck, a lot of the lather would hide under the soap, because there is a lot of empty space there.

Glad I wasn't the only one! I tried using it in the provided tub last night and lather went everywhere, but man does the soap work.

Top Bottom