What's new

Dumb Arko question

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Glad I wasn't the only one! I tried using it in the provided tub last night and lather went everywhere, but man does the soap work.
I use the sticks and face lather. Rub the stick on your face then start with a damp brush and add water a bit at a time till you get a nice wet lather on your face. Wetter the slicker. Face lathering feels good to me and gives your face a good scrubbing. It’s very efficient and you don’t have to cool with a bowl. And you are correct, it makes a very good lather easily.

Glad I wasn't the only one! I tried using it in the provided tub last night and lather went everywhere, but man does the soap work.
I've lathered it both in a bowl and on the face, what seems to work best is starting with a damp brush and loading off the puck, then adding water a little bit at a time as you build the lather (either in the bowl or on the face). If I start off with too wet a brush it gets messy and also seems to get too bubbly.

Reactions: jmd

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Aw shucks. Usually my mother is the only one that calls me handsome.
I pay folks.
It fits perfectly in an OS mug and I load it from there - less messy as from the tub.
View attachment 1406804
This is dangerous my friend. I have had Arko EAT RIGHT THROUGH a stainless steel bowl because it wasn't approved by the Turkish guvinmint for use with Arko!

Please, PLEASE always test Arko out on a small, discreet area of anything it may come into contact with. ESPECIALLY your face!

It has powers that have STILL not been unlocked by modern science.

*Everything posted above is a true story, doggone!

I pay folks.

This is dangerous my friend. I have had Arko EAT RIGHT THROUGH a stainless steel bowl because it wasn't approved by the Turkish guvinmint for use with Arko!

Please, PLEASE always test Arko out on a small, discreet area of anything it may come into contact with. ESPECIALLY your face!

It has powers that have STILL not been unlocked by modern science.

*Everything posted above is a true story, doggone!

Well @FarmerTan I wish you would have told me this sooner. I used Arko last night and now my mother no longer calls me handsome either.

I guess I should have tried somewhere discreet first.

I think we've put to bet any doubts the OP might have had about this being a dumb question. Of course not.

When you are posting to a shaving community about fine points involving the proper use of a bar of soap it is impossible to be silly. Anything and everything, awesome.

Dumb questions go in a completely different forum anyway.

The query is rock-solid.

The answers on the other hand, well, yeah. You know. We're working on it.

In the meantime, please report your findings as you endeavor to persevere.

They say there is no such thing as a dumb question but I'm about to test that.

I ordered a tub of Arko vs a stick. I was expecting it to be like Proraso or other soaps where it is basically milled in a tub.

Well, it came as a solid puck. And the shape of the puck is not like Williams or Mitchell's where it fits nicely in a mug or something.

This has got me thinking that this is not intended to be lathered in the bowl or with a brush but to be held in your hand and rubbed on your face, and then take the brush to your face.

I'm willing to admit this is probably common sense. I guess I am just used to mug or bowl soaps meant to be lathered in a mug or in the tub.
Hi Jbird45,

I have one of these. Understand the question as there is no extra space in the plastic container. Other soaps like Proraso (that we both own) or Van Der Hagen come in containers with little or no extra space with instructions to load the brush directly from packaging container if preferred. Given the lack of extra space it's likely best to build the lather after loading in a separate mug/bowl or to face lather. The above said use it however it works best for you.

Note that, from what others have written, the Arko tub is a special edition from a few years ago with different ingredients versus the stick. Mine was made in 2016. Has hardly any aroma to it versus the distinctive smell others have noted from the Arko shave sticks. Not sure if this is due to the age or different ingredients. Regardless enjoy!

I used violence to make a stick into a soap at the bottom of a coffee cup. My only regret was all the citrus and citronella released at once (instead of gradually when slowly unwrapping a stick).

I once used a cheap cheese grater to shred an Arko stick into a puck. It didn't help my shaves. I even tried tossing a stick under my shed hoping it would get rid of a groundhog living there. No luck there either.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@njpaddy - what type of lather did you make? It seems to be a super-fan of thin and runny even though it can be fashioned into any lather anyone wants.

I once used a cheap cheese grater to shred an Arko stick into a puck. It didn't help my shaves. I even tried tossing a stick under my shed hoping it would get rid of a groundhog living there. No luck there either.

That groundhog is probably now popular with the ladies for smelling so nice?

You should get one of those little title things that says Arko vs Groundhog 😅

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When my Tabac soap is finally finished, I'm going to use the very nice glass jar and press in a couple of my Arko sticks. 😁
See post number 24 above. This is something that most definitely should NOT be tried at home!

Top Bottom