What's new

DSC AX - Poleaxe Ti - Which blade gaps?

I’m very tempted to order the Ti S9 head, based on your previous very positive experience and while waiting for the new AX heads.

Meanwhile the V92 has arrived today. I’ll be shaving with it tomorrow first with the scalloped cap. Probably based on that shaving experience I’ll consider placing the order for the S9 Ti head.

The V92 is a gorgeous razor from the looks, feel (it has a nice heft to it) and the precision work. From all that you guys have written about it, I can only surmise that it will be a great shaver too.
Hi m949, I was a Muhle R89 and Rocca user once. Loved the 89 but not the Rocca eventually. If you have the V92, getting an S9 in Ti or SS will be the same. According to a DS Company representative the S9 and the V92 / 95 are like triplets with the only difference being the metal and slightly increased blade gaps on the 92 and 95. So picking up a S9 would be a waste unless you want an SS or Ti version of the V92.

I have used the DScosmetic AX-SE which was value for money due to the price. I thought plate one with the 1.15 gap was boring, I did not like plate 3 at all which was a 1.35 gap but plate 2 which had the 1.55 gap, that was a home run. It's one of the best Razor heads I have ever used. It was smooth, super efficient and I can vouch for this, the closest you'll get to a Wolfman shave at a fraction of the price. It kind of spoiled my love for a lot of the other razors like the R89, Rocca and even to a certain extent the S9. The AX 1.55 Ti and the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC are two of my favorite Razor heads.

My advice, if you can get it off Taobao at the price you mentioned then go in for the Ti. I would pick it up in a heartbeat at that price. And don't fear the Razor Head, use a sharp blade like the Wizamet Iridium, keep a light touch and you will land up dumping a lot of the less efficient razors soon.

Hello everyone :thumbup1:

I have a question for the connoisseurs.

I would like to buy the AX-SE zamak model.

My question is, what is the difference between cap smooth and scalloped please ?

Thank you :001_smile

Hello everyone :thumbup1:

I have a question for the connoisseurs.

I would like to buy the AX-SE zamak model.

My question is, what is the difference between cap smooth and scalloped please ?

Thank you :001_smile

Dscosmetic-AX-SE-Zinc-alloy-double-edge-safety-razor.jpg_.jpg

I think Halfbeard nailed it for you Babou. If you want to stay with the exact Wolfman look then pick up the smooth cap but if you do shave shallow, that scalloped top cap from DS rocks.

Think advising someone else what to choose in BLADE Gaps is thought.

Because we are all different.

Face, skin, and last beard.

Plus how thick is beard, does it grow straight, or fell of circular patterns?

Last edited:
Yes!

The smooth cap is smooth.
The scalloped cap is scalloped.

SCNR. I like the scalloped much more, not only visually, or also seems to improve the feel and perhaps the lather flow.

I thought the scalloped cap was just for the look, because I've never used a scalloped cap.

Thanks to you and to all those who responded so gently :thumbup1:

Think advising someone else what to choose in BLADE Gaps is thought.

Because we are all different.

Face, skin, and last beard.

Plus how thick is beard, does it grow straight, or fell of circular patterns?
That's Bang on mate and only by trial and testing so we figure out what's best for us.

But I do feel that in terms of the three DS AX zamak heads the 1.55 was the smoothest somehow. I'm not an expert and it didn't make sense to me cause I'm a.mid aggression Razor fan but only with the Ax-SE 1.55 did I feel totally in control. The smaller blade gaps seemed like they could bite for some reason if I wasn't careful.aybe the blade gap.and exposure seemed a better match in it.

Having said that, I do believe the regular Yaqi Sentinels work differently with their respective blade gaps and I haven't used those.

I'm guessing they changed the product after the initial mixup between the #2 and #3 plates.

I recently bought this: (zamak 1.15, 1.35, and 1.55 gaps)

But the plates are clearly marked with these gaps instead:
  1. 1.12
  2. 1.22
  3. 1.32

Actually now that I look more closely at the official pictures on the page I can also see the numbers there.

1.jpg

2.jpg

You'll have to zoom in and it's somewhat blurry but the third digits in those gaps are clearly twos and not fives.

From left to right they're: 1.12, 1.22, 1.32, and they match the plates that I received.

My zamac trio should be here toward the end of the month. I am hoping others will post some shave reviews to keep me occupied and give me an idea what to expect shave wise. I have never got along with large gap razors. I thought this would be a cheap way to find out if this type of razor would work plus its just fun for a cheap razor junky like me. If I like it and they restock the stainless versions, perhaps I will get one.

Actually now that I look more closely at the official pictures on the page I can also see the numbers there.

View attachment 1841846

View attachment 1841847

You'll have to zoom in and it's somewhat blurry but the third digits in those gaps are clearly twos and not fives.

From left to right they're: 1.12, 1.22, 1.32, and they match the plates that I received.

I haven't shaved with mine yet, but they say the same thing - 1.12, 1.22, 1.32. That's strange, I wonder what the real gaps are. Do earlier batches not say that?

Thanks, that’s very good advice. I might just do that.

Actually, I would be ordering directly from DSC in China on Taobao. The Ti head costs around USD 48 there, the 316 L costs around USD 30. However, at present only the 1.55 mm Ti head is in stock, all others aren’t available. I’ve seen that the Ti head costs around EUR 100 on Ali express.

Prices are pretty much double, but it goes both ways. A bottle of Speick Aftershave splash for example would cost EUR 26 for me.
Mate, I simply have to ask if you can share the link or at least what the Ti head is titled on Taobao. I tried to find it but couldn't when I put in DScosmetic AX Ti.

Mate, I simply have to ask if you can share the link or at least what the Ti head is titled on Taobao. I tried to find it but couldn't when I put in DScosmetic AX Ti.
I sent you a PM with the product name in Chinese and a link to the product to the taobao store. If you have a taobao account in Mainland China and the App installed that link should lead you to the correct product page.

Once there, you should be able to chose the Ti 1.55mm head from the product selection list. It's the only one available. All other heads whether Stainless Steel or Ti will be greyed out. In the app you should see it as in the attached screenshot. Note, that your price may be slightly different. In my case the app calculates some price deduction from loyalty points.

Edit: I did a search for DSCosmetic AX Ti in the taobao app, and just like in your case there aren't any results; at least none for a razor head. However, searching for the Chinese product name immediately yields the correct head as the first result and hundreds of other razors and shaving equipment from Yaqi, Mühle, Merkur, Parker, DSC, Henson, Fatip, Rockwell, Fendrihan, EJ, and Timeless...must....resist...temptation....:001_07:

Attachments

• IMG_6672.jpeg
    IMG_6672.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I sent you a PM with the product name in Chinese and a link to the product to the taobao store. If you have a taobao account in Mainland China and the App installed that link should lead you to the correct product page.

Once there, you should be able to chose the Ti 1.55mm head from the product selection list. It's the only one available. All other heads whether Stainless Steel or Ti will be greyed out. In the app you should see it as in the attached screenshot. Note, that your price may be slightly different. In my case the app calculates some price deduction from loyalty points.

Edit: I did a search for DSCosmetic AX Ti in the taobao app, and just like in your case there aren't any results; at least none for a razor head. However, searching for the Chinese product name immediately yields the correct head as the first result and hundreds of other razors and shaving equipment from Yaqi, Mühle, Merkur, Parker, DSC, Henson, Fatip, Rockwell, Fendrihan, EJ, and Timeless...must....resist...temptation....:001_07:
Thanks so much Mate. I think I will need to download the app. you're right the list is endless. The problem with Taobao is it tends to be a hit and miss while Aliexpress is more reliable. Having said that a pal got me Floid The Original Aftershave through Taobao and it is fantastic.

Top Bottom