What's new

Drying Soaps after use

With my soaps, I do bloom them and when Im done loading my brush, I was all of the lather off of the soap and then tip the tub or mug upside down to let any water drip out while Im shaving.
That allows most of the water to either drip out or evaporate and should eliminate most of the moisture. I also typically use 1 soap until its all used up and then choose another, so that further eliminates the concern of mold.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In the interests of full disclosure, i should admit that if i wind up with a significant amount of lather left i often will squeeze it out of the brush and put it back in the tub.

I do that, too, but I also want the soap to dry between uses.

Towards that end I leave the container open for 24 hours (roughly) after each shave. Then I put the top on the tub unless I'm going to use the soap again right away. I have only one open tub at a time. Unless I skip a day I always have an open tub which helps me remember what soap I used yesterday.

Soap should be allowed to dry. Otherwise it grow bad stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm far from a newbie but i guess i missed this part of the tutorial and as i haven't found a solid answer in my brief searching i need to ask an important question.

Should a tub of soap be dried out after usage? If so why and what does sealing in moisture do to the soap?

There is no need to bloom a soap at all and i don't do it.
I use a brush which is almost dry.

I face lather. The best place to do it.

Sooo...this came in the mail today.

Attachments

• 20190522_190101.jpg
    20190522_190101.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190522_185910.jpg
    20190522_185910.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
This question must result from having many expensive soaps. I admit to have never even considered it. My VDH lasts for months and costs less than $4.

I'm far from a newbie but i guess i missed this part of the tutorial and as i haven't found a solid answer in my brief searching i need to ask an important question.

Should a tub of soap be dried out after usage? If so why and what does sealing in moisture do to the soap?

Blooming a soap is a nonsense.

A barely damp brush (and i mean barely) is all you need to load from any puck. Do the lathering on the kisser and save the soup making for the kitchen.

Its a shaving myth imho.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I must be missing something in this thread, I take enough soap from tub or puck for approx 2 to 3 shaves and place it in my mixing lather bowl and just add water and brush because that way I'm not getting other non distilled water in the main soap source. I have never had a problem and that is the way it's always going to be, I can even bloom the soap if I want and leave the old suds in for the next go around.

Top Bottom