What's new

Dropped my Fine Lather Bowl, need replacement recommendations

The truly gentlemanly spirit of the B&B.. :badger::badger::jump:

Hi Rich,

If you're wanting a scuttle, I posted a brief comparison between Crown King and a scuttle I got off ebay that came from the Ukraine. Both excellent scuttles. The choice would be based on how big your brush(es) are.

If you want a bowl, I have a practically-unused Captain's Choice bowl that I will PIF to you if you want it. Photo below. I was going to put it up as a PIF, but based on your post you're in immediate need. If you want it, shoot me a PM with your address.

Well played Sir!
:a14::a14::a14:

Many good folks here on B&B.

B&B family goodness at its finest!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like my Georgetown Pottery scuttle, but bet that most work well. If you do want a GP scuttle, check and see if they have any seconds. You wouldn’t be able to see what the imperfection on mine is and I understand that that’s the case with most of their seconds.

+1 I have the G12 which is very nice if you like to hold the scuttle in your other hand while lathering. All scuttles should work fine, it's just a question of looks and size.

Hi Rich,

If you're wanting a scuttle, I posted a brief comparison between Crown King and a scuttle I got off ebay that came from the Ukraine. Both excellent scuttles. The choice would be based on how big your brush(es) are.

If you want a bowl, I have a practically-unused Captain's Choice bowl that I will PIF to you if you want it. Photo below. I was going to put it up as a PIF, but based on your post you're in immediate need. If you want it, shoot me a PM with your address.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Toast-Fireworks-Gif.gif

I have two Fine LBs and you can do better. Take a look at the ShaveBowl lather bowl as a potential replacement. Slightly more expensive at around $27 but it's a modular system that can be used as a lather bowl, razor and brush holder, puck storage and scuttle. Perhaps most importantly - it's shatter proof!

Scuttle - Georgetown Pottery. I have the 20, lots of hot water to keep it warm. Wonderful on cool mornings.

Bowl - Captain's Choice.

Yeah, a cereal bowl works just as well, and a Weishi shaves as well as the high $$ stainless goodie. It's all about the "style & comfort" getting there.

^^^ It's all "What He Said!" +1 (Even the info in his name plate!)
That said the plastic Proraso and Timeless Bowls are just wonderful looking tools. (being in sabbatical, I'll look to purchasing these in 2019.)

Sorry about the bowl!

Terrific suggestions on replacement options! Some are real works of art!

The real question to me is whether you wish to upgrade with another breakable bowl or go with something plastic? (My solution was to go to face-lathering, another approach entirely!)

Thanks again to @Borderboss for the PIF. As @YKMV said BorderBoss's PIF was in the "The truly gentlemanly spirit of the B&B".

I can report back that this bowl can make some nice lather. So far only used it with Truefitt & Hill 1805 and my Shavemac Americana 2-Band Silvertip. Looking forward to trying this with some harder soaps like Tabac and my Semogue Boar and see what it can do.

I really like the deep grooves and the spiral pattern , I think it's an improvement over the Fine bowl.

As for face lathering , I prefer to make enough lather for 3 passes all at once. Which is why I was thinking about getting a scuttle to keep it warm.

As for as getting something else breakable - I think I'll take my chances. If it break another one, I'll replace it again with something else.

@Rich_O
That's spirit.. never give up the quest for perfection... the advantage of repeatedly breaking shaving bowls is that you get to test them all until you find the one you truly want to replace with the same bowl... and the LOTH, at least for the first 3 or 4, will sympathize... :ladysman:

Check out the shavebowl.com After dropping my porcelain scuttle I bought the ShaveBowl because it can be dropped and will not break! I also plan on taking it with me when I travel.
From the website:

ShaveBowl is Made in USA.

ShaveBowl is manufactured with a polymer containing 40% natural clay minerals with a micro-texture applied to all surfaces of both bowls to aid in lathering.

With its high natural mineral content, ShaveBowl feels like soap stone and has an heirloom quality durability that will last a lifetime. It's a durable, lightweight alternative to traditional porcelain shaving bowls, yet it's heavier than you would expect.

ShaveBowl's bottom soap storage container will hold approximately 6oz. of shaving soap.
011.jpg
012.jpg

The Crown King travel scuttle has been working well for me. It may not be as colorful or vintage-y as some posted here, but it's unbreakable, which is a big point for me.

I found some nice ones on etsy.com and just typed in (fancy ceramic shaving bowls) and found a bunch of really nice ones, bought 2 from doug smith collection.

As for face lathering , I prefer to make enough lather for 3 passes all at once. Which is why I was thinking about getting a scuttle to keep it warm.

Two words when it comes to keeping face lather warm

Brush scuttle.

proxy.php

The Crown King travel scuttle has been working well for me. It may not be as colorful or vintage-y as some posted here, but it's unbreakable, which is a big point for me.

Just ordered one of these this week as any and every shave dish breaks on me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom