What's new

Dropped my Fine Lather Bowl, need replacement recommendations

I dropped my Fine Later Bowl (actually I knocked off the counter with my elbow). Needless to say it shattered into a million pieces.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a scuttle. I've seen a few on amazon ( the Savanna Scuttle), but wanted to get some opinions here before I purchase anything else.
I was thinking about this one as well:
shaving scuttle, black and white

This my scuttle from Sarah Welch Pottery who’s also an Etsy vendor, see link below. It was a custom order which does take 4 to 6 weeks but you could contact her to see what she has in stock.

821E722C-C9C0-4F6B-82E5-488B308C12F0.jpeg

Sarah Welch Pottery by sarahwelchpottery

Last edited:
Love my DougSmithPottery shaving bowl I used before I switched to face lathering several years back. It had a raised spiral pattern in the bottom to help generate lather. He makes scuttles and other stuff, too. On Etsy as well..

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When I have occasionally bowl lathered, I've just used a generic enamelled bowl that you might use as crockery on a camping trip. No texture inside to help with lather production, but I can float it in the hot water in the sink to keep the lather warm, and it doesn't shatter if you drop it ;)

Scuttle - Georgetown Pottery. I have the 20, lots of hot water to keep it warm. Wonderful on cool mornings.

Bowl - Captain's Choice.

Yeah, a cereal bowl works just as well, and a Weishi shaves as well as the high $$ stainless goodie. It's all about the "style & comfort" getting there.

I just use a hammered copper bowl, makes very nice lather quickly and it can take a few drops. I personally have not used a scuttle but I hear they are awesome

Best thing you can replace a bowl or scuttle with is your face. Free and effective!

If you really want to stay the "vessel" route, I've heard great things about the crown king scuttle and the captains choice bowls.

I can commiserate, having shattered a nice ceramic lathering bowl once myself!

Recently got the Proraso plastic mug, works great for creams as well as lathering soaps after loading on the badger!!

Plastic, so largely Unbreakable! Has ridges internal, to aid on lather building!

proraso green truefitt hill feather january 2 2018.jpg

Pretty much all those scuttles mentioned will do an equally good job. There is also Dirtybird pottery. All comes down to price, color available, and what is in stock at what vendor, I would say.

Symmetrical Pottery’s Dottie is an amazing bowl.

If you’re going for a scuttle I second Georgetown Pottery.

Cheers.

I like my Georgetown Pottery scuttle, but bet that most work well. If you do want a GP scuttle, check and see if they have any seconds. You wouldn’t be able to see what the imperfection on mine is and I understand that that’s the case with most of their seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay’s Clay make some great bowls. Captains choice also makes nice bowls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Best thing you can replace a bowl or scuttle with is your face. Free and effective!

If you really want to stay the "vessel" route, I've heard great things about the crown king scuttle and the captains choice bowls.

Very much agree. If price is a concern go Crown King. If price is not a concern and you want to turn to face lathering, Dirty Bird Pottery makes a "brush scuttle" that you put your brush in to stay warm in between passes. I face lather using warm water, put it in the scuttle, and have warmer lather for my second pass. I don't hold the scuttle, it stays where it is and I add water to it. I'm clumsy and this was one of the main reasons I considered it (aside from the fact that Ive never bowl lathered) as it's less likely to be dropped since it is only moved once per shave to empty the water out at the end. Other than that it lives on the back wall of my bathroom sink counter, far from the edge.

Dirty Bird.JPG

I just ordered a simple shaving bowl which I plan on bowl lathering in from time to time and then using my DB brush scuttle to keep it warm.

Hi Rich,

If you're wanting a scuttle, I posted a brief comparison between Crown King and a scuttle I got off ebay that came from the Ukraine. Both excellent scuttles. The choice would be based on how big your brush(es) are.

If you want a bowl, I have a practically-unused Captain's Choice bowl that I will PIF to you if you want it. Photo below. I was going to put it up as a PIF, but based on your post you're in immediate need. If you want it, shoot me a PM with your address.

Hi Rich,

If you're wanting a scuttle, I posted a brief comparison between Crown King and a scuttle I got off ebay that came from the Ukraine. Both excellent scuttles. The choice would be based on how big your brush(es) are.

If you want a bowl, I have a practically-unused Captain's Choice bowl that I will PIF to you if you want it. Photo below. I was going to put it up as a PIF, but based on your post you're in immediate need. If you want it, shoot me a PM with your address.

Well played Sir!
:a14::a14::a14:

Jay's Clay makes great bowls. Artisan potter. Bowl has ridges on the bottom. He has many styles to choose from.
Well worth looking into. Notice that this bowls are deep and fits in the palm of your hand..
I also use and recommend Captain's Choice. $$$ are about the same for either.
Here's the site:
Jays Clay | Handmade Clay Pottery
www.jaysclay.com
Here's a pic:
Jays Clay Shave Bowl.jpg

Top Bottom