What's new

Drone Hunting

All we need is a jamming device to bring them down.

A portable EMP device would get the job done, although probably not legal. And your own electronics would get fried too.
However, a paintball gun would be challenging and fun. Or maybe some leftover bottle rockets. :w00t:

As a private/commercial pilot and flight instructor, there is alot of prior legal cases and precedent about airspace, and who "owns" the airspace. Obviously with drones things are a bit different now.

In the past, someone buys a house near a small airport, and is aware of the airport. As the airport gets busier, the flight school gets dragged into court by said homeowner because the "little planes" are bothersome. Now, drones are different and fly much lower than a Cessna 172 doing traffic pattern work over the airport. So, the end game is yet to be played out, but there is strong support for the airspace as it stands now, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I like drones. There is a lot of blanket drone hate that I think is unjustified. We simply need better or clearer rules/regulations. Like anything, there are responsible users and irresponsible users. I don't want to see responsible users unjustly punished because of a few knuckleheads.

Some of the statements being made are akin to banning telescopes because they could be used to look into people's windows.

I like drones. There is a lot of blanket drone hate that I think is unjustified. We simply need better or clearer rules/regulations. Like anything, there are responsible users and irresponsible users. I don't want to see responsible users unjustly punished because of a few knuckleheads.

Some of the statements being made are akin to banning telescopes because they could be used to look into people's windows.

Well said!

I hope y'all are taking all precautions when your wives, girlfriends, daughters, aunts, grannies are sunbathing on the beach too.

proxy.php

A portable EMP device would get the job done, although probably not legal. And your own electronics would get fried too.
However, a paintball gun would be challenging and fun. Or maybe some leftover bottle rockets. :w00t:

Drones operate at 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz both of which are common civilian use frequencies so there are many control devices available that would allow the "take over" of a drone by a jammer. There could be a momentary interruption of nearby WiFi signals but no frying of the equipment.

The right to have privacy in one's home has been around a heck of a lot longer than the FAA's airspace regulations which hardly apply to the window level airspace around a home. If the government doesn't establish legal control over drone operation around residences I have no doubt the homeowners will do their own regulating. A video equipped drone hovering around a bedroom window is a peeping tom offense not an airspace violation and there are laws covering peeping toms.

In the US she doesn't own the airspace, but in Canada, I am not so sure. In the US the airspace is public, except for military areas, power plants, etc.

Actually, the federal government has exclusive sovereignty of U.S. airspace.

Congress delegated to the FAA the ability to define “navigable airspace” and the authority to regulate “navigable airspace” of aircraft by regulation or order. 49 U.S.C. § 40103(b)(1). While it is clear that navigable airspace falls under the purview of the FAA, the boundaries of that airspace remain unclear.

I like drones as well and if I could afford the darn things I'd have several. They look like they'd be a ton of fun.

However I don't like them when they're hovering over my property etc. If I'm in a public place I don't mind, I've been shadowed by several multiple times when I was out riding my bike along the river trails, but if you're flying around over my property you better have asked if it's ok. I can't shoot it down but I'll sure try my best to take it out.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I see a great untapped market for killer attack drones programmed to seek out and destroy other drones.

To the Ouchcave!

I see a great untapped market for killer attack drones programmed to seek out and destroy other drones.

To the Ouchcave!

Already in the works. I saw a bit last on Daily Planet up here in Canada and they're working on that for commercial air spaces. It's basically a bigger drone carrying a net that the throw at the target and reel it in.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Already in the works. I saw a bit last on Daily Planet up here in Canada and they're working on that for commercial air spaces. It's basically a bigger drone carrying a net that the throw at the target and reel it in.

Now all they have to do is program it to drop the invading drone into your pool.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As a private/commercial pilot and flight instructor, there is alot of prior legal cases and precedent about airspace, and who "owns" the airspace. Obviously with drones things are a bit different now.

In the past, someone buys a house near a small airport, and is aware of the airport. As the airport gets busier, the flight school gets dragged into court by said homeowner because the "little planes" are bothersome. Now, drones are different and fly much lower than a Cessna 172 doing traffic pattern work over the airport. So, the end game is yet to be played out, but there is strong support for the airspace as it stands now, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I remember when the residents of Grapevine tried to sue DFW airport to stop construction of a runway because of noise. Uh, you moved a mile away from the airport. I hate airplane noise, so I live 18 miles away. Problem solved. Of course, we hear the occasional helicopter (I am about 4 miles from Bell)

Few years back the power company hired a helicopter sprayer to maintain some of the more remote sections of the grid in the surrounding national forest where I live. Long about day 3 a neighbor on the next hilltop had had enough, being in the helicopter's refueling/reloading flight path. As the helicopter pasted over his place heading back to refuel, he called the airport the pilot was heading to. He gave them his name, address etc, and asked them to please get word to the pilot that he was preparing for a hunting trip and would being shooting skeet off and on over the next few days and thought the prudent thing to do was get the word out to avoid an unfortunate accident. The helicopter never came near his place again and was never used again in any following year.

I think if a drone was accidentally shot down around my place, I'd make sure to break a few clay birds nearby.:thumbup1:

No one is advocating banning all telescopes. Only the assault telescopes will be banned.

All for it. I hear Domino's Pizza and Amazon is considering drone deliveries in the near future and I can't imagine a quicker method of getting a hot pizza and raining free gifts from Amazon, both at the same time. :laugh:

I am not for banning anything. I think drones are great. I just think said knuckleheads should be taught the error of their ways.

I hope y'all are taking all precautions when your wives, girlfriends, daughters, aunts, grannies are sunbathing on the beach too.

proxy.php

The beach is is a public place, my home is not. I would be more offended if no one at the beach looked at my wife in a bikini. I value my privacy at home. I can barely see my neighbors house from my second story window. I hated it when they built there.

I admire the sentiment, but that seems to violate every principle of responsible gun ownership. If you caught someone peaking in your window or over your fence, would shooting at them be justified?

Top Bottom