What's new

Drone Hunting

I shoot every single day in my back yard.. let me start by prefacing that.
If I was to see a drone over my property I would not shoot it. It is common for insurance adjustors to use drones now to inspect for roof damage and property tax could be assessed through drone usage as well. It is just not worth the possible fines and or legal repercussions of me shooting a drone out of the sky. If it was a reoccurring problem that could not be resolved though talking with the owner then sure, load up some #4 shot and bang away.

I admire the sentiment, but that seems to violate every principle of responsible gun ownership. If you caught someone peaking in your window or over your fence, would shooting at them be justified?

I shoot every single day in my back yard.. let me start by prefacing that.
If I was to see a drone over my property I would not shoot it. It is common for insurance adjustors to use drones now to inspect for roof damage and property tax could be assessed through drone usage as well. It is just not worth the possible fines and or legal repercussions of me shooting a drone out of the sky. If it was a reoccurring problem that could not be resolved though talking with the owner then sure, load up some #4 shot and bang away.

Agreed with both. It's fun and all but not the best approach. Now I will say if something like that were to persist ( and I mean really annoying breach of privacy here) I might have to resort to this (to the drone, not people of course). I live out in the country, so safe to do - would never in the city. I would try to take care of it via law enforcement if possible first. That might be a bit tricky. I have a feeling a conversation with law enforcement might not bring about any immediate response. If they did respond, the owner/operator could be quite some distance away, so possibly difficult to resolve. In addition an officer may not feel they have any jurisdiction over the matter, anyway. It's an interesting problem.

Last edited:
I admire the sentiment, but that seems to violate every principle of responsible gun ownership. If you caught someone peaking in your window or over your fence, would shooting at them be justified?

Not over my fence, but peeking through my window would probably not end well for someone. Depending on my assessment of the threat a firearm could be involved as well. A stranger loitering around my fence would just receive a firm warning the first time. There are no neighbors next to my property, could be different if I lived in town(fence scenario, window would be the same)

Would a BB gun bring a small drone down?

Also I am not sure it's a good idea to compare drones to telescopes or people due to false equivalency.

Would a BB gun bring a small drone down?

Also I am not sure it's a good idea to compare drones to telescopes or people due to false equivalency.

Drones do not have a proper equivalent, which is why this is such a problem. The best we can do is consider near equivalents like peeping toms, since the issue is personal privacy and that is the closest relevant issue.

In some jurisdiction they have castle doctrine. Meaning any unwelcome visitor to your "castle" can be considered a credible threat.

Over the fence? Probably not. In your backyard? Possibly

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm still guessing, and my law license is long since expired, that in most civilized jurisdictions shooting a peeping tom outside is a sure bet to turn a misdemeanor (trespass) into a felony (assault with a deadly).

Top Bottom