What's new

Dressy Boot. Help should I pull the trigger

Neither boot (old one, one you're considering) is dressy... they're more casual, night out in jeans kind of boots.

Ya I should have clarified that more in my title. I mentioned it a couple posts above. I am not going for a dress boot. I said dressy as in dressier than my current utilitarian boots. Basically just slimmer. It was a bad word choice on my part. I apologize for any confusion.

Night out in jeans is really what I'm going for but more refined than my current pair.

That all said, I would not buy those boots based on the quality of stitching around the zippers. The cut on the leather seems to be subpar (look around the stitching on the zipper). The sole attachment to the welting is inconsistent as well (do I see a small separation around the toe?). Maybe they're going for more of a rustic look but I think they're charging more for the style than the quality.

At the price you're paying, you can get a custom fitted to your feet, hand made boot from Nick's, White's, Wesco...

For off the shelf and less money with decent (not great) construction, Thursday boot company ain't bad. But they're not Allen Edmonds/Alden.

I have already decided against these boots and am still on the hunt for pair to my liking. Thanks for the comments on quality however. I am trying to research more on how to spot this, just looking for something that will age well and be durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already decided against these boots and am still on the hunt for pair to my liking. Thanks for the comments on quality however. I am trying to research more on how to spot this, just looking for something that will age well and be durable.

Can't say I'm an expert either but I could easily tell the boots you were considering were complete ***. Just look at the broguing (little decorative perforation holes) on the left shoe. Not punched through with loose pieces of leather (1 hole looks like it was never even punched properly. It just reeks of poor quality control. These were probably hand made by the lowest bidder sweatshop in the 3rd world somewhere. Allen Edmonds, Alden... wouldn't send out factory seconds like that.

Since you're in Canada, I gotta think there's a ton of great custom bootmakers up there to service the logging and the ranching. In the US, there's no accident the custom bootmakers are in Texas or the Pacific Northwest.

Since you're in Canada, I gotta think there's a ton of great custom bootmakers up there to service the logging and the ranching. In the US, there's no accident the custom bootmakers are in Texas or the Pacific Northwest.

I've found a couple cobblers and people doing repairs. Haven't found any makers yet. Then again I also haven't really expanded my search past Winnipeg. I'm sure you're right

look at the Allen Edmonds website, they have a lot of low cut dress boots/high top shoes in a variety of styles. You could probably find one there to meet your criteria.

@bumstead27
Canada?
Give Dayton Boot in East Vancouver BC a look. Spendy? Yes..
Worth it? Absolutely....
These guys are waaay off the advertising radar. But when you have regular customers like this crew listed below, I’d say a pair of Daytons are worth considering. Dayton boot owners include-Me!....plus Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, the late Robin Williams, Cindy Crawford, Sharon Stone, Kurt Russell, Lou Diamond Phillips, Harry Connick Jr., Brendan Fraser, Lorenzo Lamas, Darryl Hanna, Bob Egan former member of Blue Rodeo, and Alyssa Milano to name but a few. (Actually I heard Bruce Springsteen has a pair too, but cannot confirm it). Plus, they’re Canadian, eh?

Last edited:
@bumstead27
Canada?
Worth it? Absolutely....

Wow! Never heard of them before. They really do look like they have some nice stuff. Just about every single pair of boots I looked at were $640 CAD ($500 USD). Humm, now where did I put that scratcher?

I'll put in another plug for White's. I've got a pair I've had for a couple of years, and they still look brand new (except for the sole). They are handmade in Spokane, and can be customized for your foot. And they can be re-soled or "re-made" when you need it. I have the Semi-Dress, which is a semi-dress boot, but you may find it a bit clunky. They have other more slender styles, and they do tremendous work.

+1 on these as they are among the nicest boots made in the country, but I can't wear them to the office much as even the ropers are pretty western. The Black Cherry ropers that Lucchese makes may be perfect for you though.

I have a couple of pairs like the below that I like to wear. I have bad ankles and wear a lot of boots to provide just a but more support, but I also work with clients and in offices, so I want something that is a stealth dress shoe. Lots of good options out there though. Good luck with your search!

proxy.php

This is the style you want in a dress boot. I have similar in black and brown that I wear with dress pants on normal work days. I wear my Lucchesse boots on casual days.

I just bought these from Alden to wear with jeans.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I second the Daytons from East Van. I have a pair of Confederates in a red / brown colour. I did have some difficulty in having them fit right. They were custom made to fit my feet. I will give Dayton credit that they stuck it through and made it right. Now I have boots that I love, look great and fit great.

I got a pair of these recently and have been very happy with them, I wear them with jeans or chinos. Thought they were good value for the price but I doubt you could resole them: Logan Terrace Boot

@bumstead27
Canada?
Worth it? Absolutely....
These guys are waaay off the advertising radar. But when you have regular customers like this crew listed below, I’d say a pair of Daytons are worth considering. Dayton boot owners include-Me!....plus Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, the late Robin Williams, Cindy Crawford, Sharon Stone, Kurt Russell, Lou Diamond Phillips, Harry Connick Jr., Brendan Fraser, Lorenzo Lamas, Darryl Hanna, Bob Egan former member of Blue Rodeo, and Alyssa Milano to name but a few. (Actually I heard Bruce Springsteen has a pair too, but cannot confirm it). Plus, they’re Canadian, eh?

I'll put in another plug for White's. I've got a pair I've had for a couple of years, and they still look brand new (except for the sole). They are handmade in Spokane, and can be customized for your foot. And they can be re-soled or "re-made" when you need it. I have the Semi-Dress, which is a semi-dress boot, but you may find it a bit clunky. They have other more slender styles, and they do tremendous work.

I was out of internet service for a while but thanks for the suggestions guys I'll take a look.

Checked out the White's Boots. Didn't find what I was looking for but definitely found some boots I'm interested in for work next summer. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Last edited:
Hey guys so I'm in the market for a new pair of boots and am wanting something a little dressier than my current pair.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I was looking for a pair of super slim classic Chelsea boots and was thinking something in suede dark dark brown. Something along the lines of this, Home page : classic English shoes & boots. Been shopping around locally (I am pretty against buying clothes online. I need to wear it and see it on me. Especially shoes!) and have been having a hard time finding something I like. Everything is either big clunky soles like the Blundstone or terribly cheap quality from Aldo.

I want something good quality with a welted sole that I can have redone a couple years down the road and I'm not afraid to pay for it. I guess the biggest problem is trying to find this at a brick and mortar store.

Today I walked into a store and found these and they instantly caught my eye. They are truly one of a kind the store owner was telling me he only ordered 6 and they are custom to his specs. I wasn't liking them at first I didn't like the two tone but it's growing on me. And the leather toe will make them more durable. Just looking for some opinions on them the looks and practicality. What I would be able to wear them with etc.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

At $565 Canadian they're pretty steep but with a welted leather sole and quality upper I think it should be worth it. And I managed to talk him down to $440. Hoping they can last a long time but never had suede anybody with experience?

Hey guys so I'm in the market for a new pair of boots and am wanting something a little dressier than my current pair.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I was looking for a pair of super slim classic Chelsea boots and was thinking something in suede dark dark brown. Something along the lines of this, Home page : classic English shoes & boots. Been shopping around locally (I am pretty against buying clothes online. I need to wear it and see it on me. Especially shoes!) and have been having a hard time finding something I like. Everything is either big clunky soles like the Blundstone or terribly cheap quality from Aldo.

I want something good quality with a welted sole that I can have redone a couple years down the road and I'm not afraid to pay for it. I guess the biggest problem is trying to find this at a brick and mortar store.

Today I walked into a store and found these and they instantly caught my eye. They are truly one of a kind the store owner was telling me he only ordered 6 and they are custom to his specs. I wasn't liking them at first I didn't like the two tone but it's growing on me. And the leather toe will make them more durable. Just looking for some opinions on them the looks and practicality. What I would be able to wear them with etc.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

At $565 Canadian they're pretty steep but with a welted leather sole and quality upper I think it should be worth it. And I managed to talk him down to $440. Hoping they can last a long time but never had suede anybody with experience?

in regards to suede care, I've had good results with Moneysworth and Best Suede and Nubuck Protector.

Neither boot (old one, one you're considering) is dressy... they're more casual, night out in jeans kind of boots.

That all said, I would not buy those boots based on the quality of stitching around the zippers. The cut on the leather seems to be subpar (look around the stitching on the zipper). The sole attachment to the welting is inconsistent as well (do I see a small separation around the toe?). Maybe they're going for more of a rustic look but I think they're charging more for the style than the quality.

At the price you're paying, you can get a custom fitted to your feet, hand made boot from Nick's, White's, Wesco...

For off the shelf and less money with decent (not great) construction, Thursday boot company ain't bad. But they're not Allen Edmonds/Alden.

Absolutely correct, in my book. A pair of White's Semi-Dress are what I wear when I need something semi-dress to put on my feet. (Which is not often.) I've had them for years, won't ever need to buy another pair, and they look brand new. Obenauf helps.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
3E9BD728-CD56-4887-A5D7-69C289902F1E.jpeg
Check out Frye boots. Search their sale items. I got my perfect “night out in jeans” boots for around $250. I know they’re dirty. I wore them many times this winter and treated them with Obenauf’s.

View attachment 870261 Check out Frye boots. Search their sale items. I got my perfect “night out in jeans” boots for around $250. I know they’re dirty. I wore them many times this winter and treated them with Obenauf’s.
dirty?? boots are meant to be worn....good looking boots and I like the rugged look with denim. Enjoy and wear em' in the best of health

This is the style you want in a dress boot. I have similar in black and brown that I wear with dress pants on normal work days. I wear my Lucchesse boots on casual days.

I just bought these from Alden to wear with jeans.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
very nice.....Class!

Top Bottom